Any Advise, pic showing flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gil1978 View Post
    Thank you, i did ask to see another Derm last night.
    Demodex Mites can still lead to redness/flushing without pustules, so I wouldn't write off treatment for Demodex Mites just as yet (1. ZZ Cream, 2. Soolantra). It's something where you'll just have to try everything you can until you find your cure.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Comment

Suggest you spend a couple of hours reading the posts here about blushing/flushing triggers.
      Brady Barrows
      Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

My Two Cents

Hi there,

I recently came across your post and wanted to say a few words. Your flushing looks a bit similar to how mine was just a few months ago. Mine worsened due to a bad reaction to Mirvaso. That's why my first piece of advice to you is that you should stop using it.

Mirvaso is a vasoconstrictor. It constricts the blood vessels in your face for a time, and as you know, IT WORKS. Very, very well. But there's a catch. After a few hours it wears off, and when it does your blood vessels will often attempt to compensate for the lost blood flow. That is what's called the rebound flush, as you experienced. Many people (myself included) have suffered permanent vascular damage from it. And I only used it once. For others it took weeks, sometimes even months, of use to experience the rebound. But almost everyone does eventually, and sometimes the damage is long-lasting or permanent.

In short, Mirvaso isn't a solution. Or a treatment, really. It's a cosmetic at best. That's what my dermatologist told me. And in my opinion, a few hours of rosacea free bliss isn't worth the potential (very likely) damage it may cause you down the line. Then again, that's totally up to you to decide.

As far as treatments go, I wouldn't necessarily count out laser, especially V-Beam. I don't know how much good a photofacial with intense pulsed light would do you. Some have reported success with it, but the golden standard for treating rosacea with lasers is the V-Beam. I haven't had any V-Beam treatments myself (yet) but there are a lot of people who have had great success treating redness and flushing with it. If you do decide to go that route you'll definitely want to do your research, though, and make sure you get a good dermatologist who knows what they're doing. This is your face, and you don't want some amateur putting a laser to it.

I personally am having success keeping flushes at bay with red light therapy. I don't want to sound like a salesperson (I feel like I'm starting to with all the praise I give it) but it's really helping calm down my rosacea, to the point where it's barely visible on a good day. I'm not sure it would work for you, but it's something to consider.

Hang in there. Subtype 1 rosacea sucks lemons. It really does. With time, though, you'll find something that works for you. I may post later with more info, but I gotta run!

All the best
        Katie

Comment

Originally posted by shyguy View Post
          Man this is exactly what my flushing looks like and it seems like NOTHING helps. Even splashing a ton of cold water on my face doesnt help, just seems to irritate it more.

I will be keeping an eye on this post as I would love to see a cure to this.

I agree with you man, it is so embarrassing. It happens on both my cheeks very bad and it just makes you feel terrible!

I hope you get er figured out, all the best!!

shyguy

Thanks for all the support is awesome, well after talking to my Derm he suggested that also see the supervising Derm to see other options. That is on the 19th so we will see what happens. I have stopped Mirvaso 100% so we will see if my face calms down.
          i will post what happens,

Comment

Very good advise and responses here. Mirvaso is not a wise idea for the long run (or even the short run) most likely, as well explained already in this topic. I would stop it, taper it off if you need to, but I'd stop it asap. You can potentially make things worse while using it...

The clonidine should help a bit, but maybe you can change the dose to see if a higher dose works better for you? Up to 0,150 mg, 3 times a day can work (but always discuss it with your doctor first). There are also other meds that can help control the flushing. The less you flush, and the more pale you can keep your skin, the more chance of you breaking this flushing cycle, and calming the rosacea down as well. Other meds that could possibly help you are propranolol or atenolol, antihistamines (Xyzal works good for me), and then there are more serious meds like certain antidepressants and a drug called plaquenil.
            Tetracycline antibiotics can help because they lower inflammation in the skin, but from what I have learnt here, they mostly help with the p&ps's and skin outbreaks, a bit possibly with general redness, and usually very little with facial flushing.. But that might be different per patients, (I only had bad reactions to doxycycline myself).

Diet can help as well, as some foods can trigger flushes. But a diet high in sugar and carbohydrates and chemical food additives are possibly increasing the inflammation in your skin and blood vessels as well. It might be worth experimenting with different diets, especially those with more vegetables and less carbs and sugar.

Laser and IPL can certainly help, but have also made some people worse off, so I'd advise you to always (!) do test patches first. To determine if the laser type, the filter depth and the energy used is well handled by your skin, and also to see if the test patch shows any improvement or not. If it gets worse than you obviously need to keep testing for the right settings...

I hope you find more info and tools and support here to deal with your skin flaring
            Last edited by nat007; 27 June 2017, 02:10 PM.
            My rosacea related blog: http://scarletnat.blogspot.com/2012/...edication.html

Comment

Originally posted by nat007 View Post
              The less you flush, and the more pale you can keep your skin, the more chance of you breaking this flushing cycle, and calming the rosacea down as well.
              This is huge and very, VERY good advice. My rosacea and flushing have improved because I've been taking steps to minimize my flushing as much as I possibly can. The less you flush, the less red your face is, and after a while some of those dilated blood vessels will start to recede--or rather, they won't open as often or as easily.

I'm of the belief that rosacea is reversible, to a certain extent. I think this because of what I've been observing in my own condition and also, because of some of the papers I've read regarding rosacea and flushing. The most useful one I've read by far has been this one right here. https://rosacea-support.org/the-warm...ways-knew.html

This discusses the science behind the warm room flush and ways in which you can help minimize your flushing. It's a long article, but well worth reading, in my opinion.

Hope you're doing well,
              Katie

Comment

Originally posted by kfranke View Post
                This is huge and very, VERY good advice. My rosacea and flushing have improved because I've been taking steps to minimize my flushing as much as I possibly can. The less you flush, the less red your face is, and after a while some of those dilated blood vessels will start to recede--or rather, they won't open as often or as easily.

I'm of the belief that rosacea is reversible, to a certain extent. I think this because of what I've been observing in my own condition and also, because of some of the papers I've read regarding rosacea and flushing. The most useful one I've read by far has been this one right here. https://rosacea-support.org/the-warm...ways-knew.html

This discusses the science behind the warm room flush and ways in which you can help minimize your flushing. It's a long article, but well worth reading, in my opinion.

Hope you're doing well,
                Katie
                This has been my experience as well. It was my dr. (Anthony Chu) who said that to me btw, about having to break the flushing cycle for the flushing to decrease and for rosacea to stabilize. At that moment I was literally flushing non stop. Days, nights, weekends, holidays, at home, in the supermarket. I thought after some year+ of that, my vascularity was completely ruined and my skin too. But medication in my own case did help to make matters more calm and to bring the flushing frequency down, and some days I look fairly pale now (never for long, mind you), but still; it's not one long dark progressive road to misery necessarily. Try to avoid flares for a longer time and you might actually develop a higher threshold to flush in time. This is especially so if someones flaring has a clear cause. For instance hormonal disrupture. Or an allergic reaction. Or a histamine reaction or overload in the body. Then tackling those underlying problems can also make the rosacea go calm again in time, even it is even possible when initially someone flushed and was red all the time.

Thanks for the interesting link!
                My rosacea related blog: http://scarletnat.blogspot.com/2012/...edication.html

Comment

Originally posted by nat007 View Post
                  This has been my experience as well. It was my dr. (Anthony Chu) who said that to me btw, about having to break the flushing cycle for the flushing to decrease and for rosacea to stabilize. At that moment I was literally flushing non stop. Days, nights, weekends, holidays, at home, in the supermarket. I thought after some year+ of that, my vascularity was completely ruined and my skin too. But medication in my own case did help to make matters more calm and to bring the flushing frequency down, and some days I look fairly pale now (never for long, mind you), but still; it's not one long dark progressive road to misery necessarily. Try to avoid flares for a longer time and you might actually develop a higher threshold to flush in time. This is especially so if someones flaring has a clear cause. For instance hormonal disrupture. Or an allergic reaction. Or a histamine reaction or overload in the body. Then tackling those underlying problems can also make the rosacea go calm again in time, even it is even possible when initially someone flushed and was red all the time.

Thanks for the interesting link!
                  No problem. I think that it's something everyone with flushing as a symptom should read! 😊

Comment

HELLO ALL

Well its been a few weeks and i went back to see a different derm yesterday. He said the flushing is very hard to fully treat and the laser treatment can definitely help. Also gave me a prescription for a NEW cream called RHOFADE. Told me to stay on Clonidine and Propanolol ...but that was really it.. no real ground breaking news unfortunately ...

Gil

Comment

[

Has anyone tried this new cream.

QUOTE=Gil1978;336162]HELLO ALL

Well its been a few weeks and i went back to see a different derm yesterday. He said the flushing is very hard to fully treat and the laser treatment can definitely help. Also gave me a prescription for a NEW cream called RHOFADE. Told me to stay on Clonidine and Propanolol ...but that was really it.. no real ground breaking news unfortunately ...

Gil[/QUOTE]

Comment

Update

Well after 3 good days using the cream, rebound flush has just happened.
                        No more cream for me, it will be laser as my last resort.

[

Has anyone tried this new cream.

QUOTE=Gil1978;336162]HELLO ALL

Gil
                        [/QUOTE]

Comment

Well after 3 good days using the cream, rebound flush has just happened.
                          No more cream for me, it will be laser as my last resort.

[/QUOTE]

as most likely you already know this, but please be very careful with laser too. definitely do a patch test first and better not to rush into a whole face treatment.

good luck to you and keep us updated with how things are going...

Comment

Yes I would advise against using vasoconstrictors like Rhofade and Mirvaso as they are not a real treatment and only a temporary fix with the potential for serious consequences later.

Lasers have helped a lot of people, but they can be dangerous too if not used properly by an experienced practitioner. Make sure the derm that does it has experience. And yes, always do a patch test first! I'm going in for VBeam patch test myself next month. Do let us know how it goes for you. Best of luck! 😊

Comment

Originally posted by kfranke View Post
                              Yes I would advise against using vasoconstrictors like Rhofade and Mirvaso as they are not a real treatment and only a temporary fix with the potential for serious consequences later.

Lasers have helped a lot of people, but they can be dangerous too if not used properly by an experienced practitioner. Make sure the derm that does it has experience. And yes, always do a patch test first! I'm going in for VBeam patch test myself next month. Do let us know how it goes for you. Best of luck! 😊
                              Yes just to echo this - I just saw a derm who sees lots of patients for neurogenic rosacea/flushing. I asked him if laser would be a possibility for me, and perhaps since he knows so many derms he could recommend a laser practitioner for me ... and he said that 50% of his patients he sees have been DUE TO laser damage ... eek

Comment

Originally posted by laser_cat View Post
                                Yes just to echo this - I just saw a derm who sees lots of patients for neurogenic rosacea/flushing. I asked him if laser would be a possibility for me, and perhaps since he knows so many derms he could recommend a laser practitioner for me ... and he said that 50% of his patients he sees have been DUE TO laser damage ... eek
                                ****. Fifty percent? That is awfully high. I'm glad I'm being super careful, then. I'll be driving two hours to see my V-Beam doctor. I was going to just do IPL here in my hometown, but the place I went to was a Med Spa, and the more I thought about it, the more it started to sound like a bad idea.

The guy claimed to have lots of experience treating vascular rosacea with IPL, but he's not a dermatologist, and something about it just didn't feel right to me. So I'll be driving two hours out of town to see a guy who is both a board certified dermatologist and with years and years of experience (and proof) of successfully using V-Beam on rosacea. Am I pleased about the drive? No, and the cost will be greater than if I'd just done IPL. But I have done research and I have found WAY more reports of serious adverse reactions with IPL than with V-Beam.

In short...be very careful who you choose to do your laser treatment. We're riding a very fine line here between helping and hurting ourselves. Trust me, I'm scared out of my mind. But it's something I want to try, so I'm going to, albeit very, VERY carefully.

Lasercat, do you think you will consider trying a laser treatment in the future? What else did your derm say about lasers? Anything noteworthy?

Comment

Working...
                                X