Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I completely submerge....

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if one were to completely submerge their heads in water, would it be possible to drown the demodex mites? And, if this is possible, how long would one have to keep their heads submerged to achieve this? Could this be done through the use of a snorkel or scuba gear?

Arachnids have a very low and adjustable metabolic rate, so it would probably take an hour or so to drown them -- cool idea though.

Comment

challenge accepted

Comment

Excellent, I see you're serious about your concept. Give it a fair try, at least every 5-10 days as the eggs probably have zero-oxygen requirements, and the eggs take 4-5 days to hatch and the mites are mature enough to lay eggs in 15-16 days -- this is the life cycle of demodex folliculorum. However, in my opinion demodex brevis has a life cycle double that of folliculorum, so your test should run for 60-70 days to nuke all of both types of the little bastards. This ought to work, so I'd like to hear your results. Writing a daily log will help you test your concept too.

Comment

Do mites require oxygen though? It seems that there are even marine mammals infected with their species of demodex. Anyway, a trial won't do any harm.. Someone on this forum already reported improvement after a vacation with scuba-diving.

Comment

I was thinking that I may need to do this without goggles on to make sure my whole face is exposed to water. However, if I do this, then it might become difficult to determine the amount of time that has passed. I'm thinking of using my phone as an alarm, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear it yet. Regarding where I'll do this, I have three main options that I can see; the local pool at my apartment, the beach/ocean, and my bath tub. The ocean can be difficult due to the waves and how windy it is. Any advice on where I should do this?

Comment

The local pool would be easiest. You could float face-down where your back is at the surface, or use some lead weights or a concrete block and some rope, to tie yourself down, submerged. You'll be able to hear your phone through the snorkel. It would be less boring if you played some music, and memorized the set-list to track the time.

Comment

I like that music idea. I'll probably try some floating meditation lol

Comment

Update: I messed up and missed, so I'm going to start over tonight. Up to this point, I've been using my bath tub to avoid having people ask me wtf I'm doing floating like a dead body in the middle of a pool listening to a lecture on philosophy :/

To avoid re infection of mites, what would you guys recommend doing in my day to day life? How often should I wash my sheets to avoid the buggers? Any advice?

Comment

Demodex cannot live for more than a few hours off the skin -- they simply dry out and die, so you don't need to worry about sheets, pillows, or clothing. They are however ubiquitous on human skin, so it's inevitable you'll be in contact with them, unless you're a hermit.

Comment

I've always noticed after going swimming the first few times of the season my redness is greatly reduced, maybe micro organisms in rivers ponds and lakes devour them :s

Comment

Working...
                      X