Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redness on cheeks, no dryness or lesions, symmetrical, sporadic episodes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redness on cheeks, no dryness or lesions, symmetrical, sporadic episodes ?

Hello all,

Quick breakdown:

I have had this 'redness' on both cheeks since I was 16 (Now 23), which has gotten worse, although hasn't really got any worse these last few years. No pustules or dryness on the cheeks, the areas are totally symmetrical on both cheeks.

The redness originally started as like diagonal strips on both cheeks running from the temples down to the corner of my mouth, although now generally cover the cheek area with marked edges.

I have 'triggers', although strangely there are times these triggers dont set off the 'flushing'.
    These are: Stress / emotional / embarrassment, Exercise (Bizarrely sometimes not), Extreme cold temperatures, Extreme heat, Occasionally after washing face.

Products I use when washing: Imperial Lather soap on body, Head& Shoulders on hair, Cetaphil on face (Avoiding cheeks). I have tried products like Sanex for the body, and other shampoos all with no change to my face.

Things which seem to help: Being constantly cold i.e windows open, short sleeve t-shirts. Not eating, generally going from evening to lunch time the next day seems to stave off any flushing, although having said that some days I dont have any flushing, usually if I avoid heat.

I noted trigger is heating in vehicles i.e on cold days when people put the heating to full blast.

Difficulties I face: Very easily overheated, i.e simply wearing a jacket can cause me to flush if I'am already warm on cold days.
    I dont sweat at all on the face, very little during the summer.

What the flushing feels like:
    Like a mild burn, but I also get a strange sensation of dryness in my mouth which causes me to constantly suck the sides of my cheeks / tongue.

Very rarely I experience the feeling of a flush but exhibit no actually real flushing.

What I have tried (Medicinal): Beta-blockers (No effect) , metrogel (Like clingfilm, made flushing worse), tetracycline (Lymecycline) (Helped with spots on back), anti-histamines (Caused major flush, raised bumpy skin).

Bloodtest came back all normal.

I'am curious if I have an allergy, a disease such as Coeliac, a thyroid problem (issues with body temperature and regulation) or a food intolerance.

My diet is completely natural, Oats, Cottage Cheese, Chicken, Tuna, Oranges, Grapes, Bananas, Pasta, Rice, Wholegrain wheat, Tomatoes, Rice / Oat Milk instead of cows milk.

Additional supplements I take: Cod Liver Oil Capsule & currently Lymecycline (condition pre-dates both of these drugs).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have almost come to accept this condition, I don't want to as its a constantly burden on my psyche, I know there is something amiss, I remember a time without this infliction and I intent to beat it someway of another.

If requested, I can post updated pictures.

NOTE: If its at all related, I have / had follicultis on my legs which is the reason I am on Lymecycline as the doctor thinks it is leg acne, in fact I managed to get rid of all the red pimples by using head and shoulders sensitive 2in1 shampoo on my legs, totally got rid of the issue although left the legs a bit dry.

Best regards,
    Joe,
    Last edited by J1992; 5 February 2015, 07:02 PM.

FURTHER INFORMATION:

Occasionally I can go all day without flushing, however I ALWAYS get some form of flushing from 17:30 - 21:00, without fail.

Joe.

Comment

Exact same thing!

My God, i could not have put that any better myself. I am 24, and have all the same conditions you are explaining. I have found changing from cold temperatures to hot is the worst. i fell an intense burning sensation almost like a lighter being held to my face. Hard alcohol is almost always a sure flush too. I have been on 2 different antibiotics and have tried 3 prescription creams. Noritate, Onreltea, and currently on finacea. Haven't seen great results on anything i just keep using them so maybe one day things could change. I have never had pp's or acne that everyone seems to talk about. I don't know my triggers it seems like i could flare up at even the most random time. I was say my face is mildly red almost all of the day except for in the morning.
      Glad to find someone on here who is seeking help for the exact same problem as me.

Comment

I'am currently talking to a board member about low level light therapy, although it sounds quite extreme for a condition which seems to have arisen on its own.

I'am however looking into Salt / Blood Pressure / Water intake, I eat far too much salt, and far too little fluids, perhaps the narrowing of the arteries as caused by high salt intake (high blood pressure) might have something to do with blood movement in our bodies.

Also note I'am 23, so not far off your age.

Weirdly today I had a really good day, although I started the day with no breakfast (usually wholegrain cereal), I had a banana at about 9am. However still at 17:00-21:00 I get an increase in heat and redness, regardless of the fact I'am sitting with the window open, in a tshirt and no heating on during February, I have eating alot of cereal i.e gluten / carbs from about 4pm, plus cottage cheese and grapes though, so perhaps this is a delayed response? Not entirely sure.
        Last edited by J1992; 9 February 2015, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Also 23, and experience the same symptoms you do. I usually flush in class due to coming from cold to hot environment and embarrassment when randomly being called on sometimes. I also flush in hot cars and after eating certain meals. I have p&p's but lately have controlled them with ACV. Presently, my problem is spread out, red, blothcy areas that cover certain areas of my cheeks, forehead and nose. Posting a picture would be great, then we could all compare.

Comment

skatinislife446

Your symptoms remind me of my experiences in class when I was at college. Very uncomfortable although surprisingly during the summer months I usually feel alot better, perhaps its that a tan slightly masks the defined red areas of my face.

I did experience pimples on my nose, although I think that is just because I have a slightly oily nose. No papules anywhere else. Iam however now on Lymecycline and so my face is clear, even though before it was never bad. My only issues are the flushing, the non existent sweating on the face,and the burning sensation accompanying the red cheeks.

I will upload a pic soon to give you an idea.

Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by J1992 View Post
              Hello all,

Quick breakdown:

I have had this 'redness' on both cheeks since I was 16 (Now 23), which has gotten worse, although hasn't really got any worse these last few years. No pustules or dryness on the cheeks, the areas are totally symmetrical on both cheeks.

The redness originally started as like diagonal strips on both cheeks running from the temples down to the corner of my mouth, although now generally cover the cheek area with marked edges.

I have 'triggers', although strangely there are times these triggers dont set off the 'flushing'.
              These are: Stress / emotional / embarrassment, Exercise (Bizarrely sometimes not), Extreme cold temperatures, Extreme heat, Occasionally after washing face.

Products I use when washing: Imperial Lather soap on body, Head& Shoulders on hair, Cetaphil on face (Avoiding cheeks). I have tried products like Sanex for the body, and other shampoos all with no change to my face.

Things which seem to help: Being constantly cold i.e windows open, short sleeve t-shirts. Not eating, generally going from evening to lunch time the next day seems to stave off any flushing, although having said that some days I dont have any flushing, usually if I avoid heat.

I noted trigger is heating in vehicles i.e on cold days when people put the heating to full blast.

Difficulties I face: Very easily overheated, i.e simply wearing a jacket can cause me to flush if I'am already warm on cold days.

Like a mild burn, but I also get a strange sensation of dryness in my mouth which causes me to constantly suck the sides of my cheeks / tongue.

Very rarely I experience the feeling of a flush but exhibit no actually real flushing.

What I have tried (Medicinal): Beta-blockers (No effect) , metrogel (Like clingfilm, made flushing worse), tetracycline (Lymecycline) (Helped with spots on back), anti-histamines (Caused major flush, raised bumpy skin).

I'am curious if I have an allergy, a disease such as Coeliac, a thyroid problem (issues with body temperature and regulation) or a food intolerance.

My diet is completely natural, Oats, Cottage Cheese, Chicken, Tuna, Oranges, Grapes, Bananas, Pasta, Rice, Wholegrain wheat, Tomatoes, Rice / Oat Milk instead of cows milk.

Additional supplements I take: Cod Liver Oil Capsule & currently Lymecycline (condition pre-dates both of these drugs).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have almost come to accept this condition, I don't want to as its a constantly burden on my psyche, I know there is something amiss, I remember a time without this infliction and I intent to beat it someway of another.

NOTE: If its at all related, I have / had follicultis on my legs which is the reason I am on Lymecycline as the doctor thinks it is leg acne, in fact I managed to get rid of all the red pimples by using head and shoulders sensitive 2in1 shampoo on my legs, totally got rid of the issue although left the legs a bit dry.

Best regards,

Joe,
              You may want to get on some threads regarding food
              Triggers. Many of the " natural" foods you listed are
              Triggers for many Rosaceans.

Comment

I understand Birdie,

The only qualms I have is the fact that up until I was 16, I had eaten many of the foods listed. Due to my fitness lifestyle, my diet is regimented, thus I eat the same things most days. Whilst I may have eaten these things in the past, never in such quantities i.e Tuna x2 cans everyday, 5 / 6 bowls of Porridge a day, 5x servings of pasta /rice, so I am definitely getting a much larger quantity that at any time before in my life. Therefore if say I had an intolerance as a child, having only ever eaten these foods occasionally, the symptoms my never have manifested in such a way.

Since I was 16, so for 7 years now, I have pretty much consumed Porridge, Tuna, Chicken, (Cottage Cheese although I stopped for 2 years and my condition did not change), Alternative to Milk (So clearly cannot be anything to do with cows milk which I drank fine for 16 years), Pasta, Rice, Apples (which I removed as I associated these with ear flushing), grapes, bananas, oranges and eggs (although now removed) religiously everyday.

Before I was 12 I used to never eat meat, only Quorn a meat substitute, then from 13 onward I ate chicken, lamb mince , turkey e.t.c with no issues. Only at 16 did I introduce Tuna and Chicken and Eggs on a large scale and made Porridge my No.1 breakfast cereal. I always ate alot of apples which makes it hard to reason with why I removed them. Sugar was removed when I was 16 due to issues with acne so that hasn't been a factor with my facial issues.

Since two weeks ago I have removed Salt, Tuna and Rice to see if any changes manifest. Next will be to remove Porridge to see if I have an allergy to this. I drink Alpro Soya Rice / Oat milk as a substitute to Milk and have done since I was 17, there fore removing Oats would mean switching back to Rice Milk which I used to drink anyways.

Hope this provides a bit more info.

Cheers,
                Joe.

Comment

Hi Joe. You may already know but food sensitivities
                  And allergies can begin at any age for many reasons.
                  Sometimes the reasons are unknown. You may or
                  May not have food allergies. Rosacea certainly can
                  Be the result of food allergy/ sensitivity but unfortunately
                  There is no guarantee that eliminating certain foods
                  Resolves rosacea for good.

Brady Barrows on this forum suggests the low carb
                  Challenge of 30 grams a day for 2 weeks ( think I got
                  That right) to see how rosacea resolves without high
                  Carb intake. Eating paleo now for almost 20 months
                  I can testify that low carbs reduces flushing, burning
                  And redness.

Sounds also like you eat high histamine inducing
                  Foods: all that canned tuna. ( canned right?). I miss
                  Tuna a lot. But histamine foods, a lot of them, cause
                  Terrible flares. May be why your antihistamine didn't
                  Work.

Sounds like you are an athlete and eating energy.
                  Not sure what a solution for you would be. But it
                  Really sounds like you are eating trigger foods.
                  Best of luck to you, Birdie

Comment

Hello all,

Quick breakdown:

Best regards,
                    Joe,
                    Looks like you have KPRF also . You can eat what you want in moderation

Just avoid Heated rooms ,Sun ,Alcohol . ( Flushing Triggers )

And leave your face alone .

Not much more you can do

Comment

Well thanks for the replies guys. Im going for bloods, glucose, liver and thyroid tests tomorrow.

This is the only recent picture I have.

It gives a comparison between a flushed face and normal (Well I used photoshop to even out the skin tone)

Left = Normal, Right = Flushed.
                      http://www.mediafire.com/view/a2vu2kk1wzwurfv/1.jpg

Joe.

Comment

2008 - Fine
                        FArgku7m.jpg

2008 - Redness starting
                        CkuFJXzm.jpg

2010 - Redness
                        zvxJrjdm.jpg

2011 - Redness Bad
                        dQCiQiTm.jpg

2012 - Redness after taking anti histamines, allergic reaction
                        d2g47mum.jpg

Comment

2012 - Redness day after taking anti-histamines, looks relatively good
                          oA747pSm.jpg

2015 - Redness as of now.
                          mHQiOqWm.jpg

Comment

Well thanks for the replies guys. Im going for bloods, glucose, liver and thyroid tests tomorrow.

This is the only recent picture I have.

It gives a comparison between a flushed face and normal (Well I used photoshop to even out the skin tone)

Left = Normal, Right = Flushed.
                            http://www.mediafire.com/view/a2vu2kk1wzwurfv/1.jpg

Joe.
                            Hi Mate

You can get all the tests you want . It wont a hell of a difference because their is no treatment for what you have .

And it has nothing got to do with diet . Eat what you want in moderation .

You've got KPRF .

All you can do is avoid your triggers as best you can . Leave your face alone .Don't even wash your face

Anything you need to know . Just ask away Ive had it for 20 years .
                            Last edited by davekelly; 10 March 2015, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Alright cheers Dave,

Have you had any success with an laser treatments, IPL or V Beam to reduce the blood vessels prominence?

Also have far can it progress i.e how much worse can it get? I mean I can't see how it can get worse.

Joe.

Comment

Working...
                              X