No announcement yet.

Rosacea overnight? Need help please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosacea overnight? Need help please...

Does Rosacea occur overnight? About two weeks ago I came back from taking care of my mom who was ill. I woke up the next morning with what looked like a red rash all over my face. I look like I'm sunburn. I occasionally get a pimple or two but usually have a pale face. I eat right, no dairy, gluten, alcohol or coffee and exercise. I went to see my doctor who thought it was dermatitis and sent me to dermatologist. The dermatologist told me that its rosacea. Reading up on it I thought it was a gradual thing and then some triggers can make it flare up not an overnight thing. Did any of you just happen to have it appear one day? Could the doctor be wrong and its something else? My skin has always been oily no dry and the little bumps I do have are just whiteheads. I have been using a metrocream and washing my face with cetaphil, no make up and changing my pillow case every night. But there is no change at all. If it is rosacea how do you know what your triggers are when your face is already red? Would really appreciate your advice.

Originally posted by sue78 View Post
    Does Rosacea occur overnight? About two weeks ago I came back from taking care of my mom who was ill. I woke up the next morning with what looked like a red rash all over my face. I look like I'm sunburn. I occasionally get a pimple or two but usually have a pale face. I eat right, no dairy, gluten, alcohol or coffee and exercise. I went to see my doctor who thought it was dermatitis and sent me to dermatologist. The dermatologist told me that its rosacea. Reading up on it I thought it was a gradual thing and then some triggers can make it flare up not an overnight thing. Did any of you just happen to have it appear one day? Could the doctor be wrong and its something else? My skin has always been oily no dry and the little bumps I do have are just whiteheads. I have been using a metrocream and washing my face with cetaphil, no make up and changing my pillow case every night. But there is no change at all. If it is rosacea how do you know what your triggers are when your face is already red? Would really appreciate your advice.
    You're right Sue, that doesn't seem to be the whole story here. Rosacea almost always has other immune system issues with it like gut problems, arthritis, allergies, ect.., and/or sudden body stressors like a new medication, surgery, hormone shifts, a new baby, etc... Do you have any of that going on?

I would, like you are doing, look into this visit to your Mom. What kind of illness did she have? Was the visit in a different city? I ask that because there is a common but relativity unknown reaction to fluoride in city water supplies. Fluoroderma

Have you tried using an antihistamine for a few days to see if it was just an allergic reaction to something? This would be one of the few times using a steroid cream for a week would make sense, but NO LONGER then a week.

Do follow you intuition and keep searching. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. If it does turn out to be rosacea, then this is the place to be to learn how to get it under control. Welcome BTW.

Comment

Thank you Starlite for your feedback. Its weird because I've always had oily skin, even more so now that I'm back. My mom was in a different city, in fact a different state, Missouri. I did drink the water at her house but it was well water an when I come home I drink from a brita pitcher. I do have the sort of periorbital dermatitis looking face, the breakouts are mainly on my chin, jawline and forehead but around my eyes and mouth is white not red. I look like a raccoon...The doctor did say stress can add to it and I was stressed taking care of her, she's in kidney failure. On top of that I was on a hormone for pregnancy but it was only for five days. The doctor had told me that my throid was hypo and gave me a synthroid which I had been taking when this started, I stopped it about a week ago just to see if it would help but so far no change either. I've never experienced this before. My gut says its not rosacea but some allergin but I'm no doctor. When you have rosacea and eat something that is a trigger do you break out or become a brighter red? I have taken a benedryl on and off since I got back but maybe your right trying the cream or taking a pill every night for a few days.

Originally posted by Starlite View Post
      You're right Sue, that doesn't seem to be the whole story here. Rosacea almost always has other immune system issues with it like gut problems, arthritis, allergies, ect.., and/or sudden body stressors like a new medication, surgery, hormone shifts, a new baby, etc... Do you have any of that going on?

I would, like you are doing, look into this visit to your Mom. What kind of illness did she have? Was the visit in a different city? I ask that because there is a common but relativity unknown reaction to fluoride in city water supplies. Fluoroderma

Have you tried using an antihistamine for a few days to see if it was just an allergic reaction to something? This would be one of the few times using a steroid cream for a week would make sense, but NO LONGER then a week.

Do follow you intuition and keep searching. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. If it does turn out to be rosacea, then this is the place to be to learn how to get it under control. Welcome BTW.

Comment

Hi sue, that seems a little bit like me. I've always had oily skin but it was even worse a few weeks before the redness appeared. But when the redness did appear it was completely overnight. I just woke up and my entire face was just a pinkish red color like a sunburn (which I thought was odd because I never burn). And it was freaking me out because it wasn't very even looking and I had circles of normal looking skin around my eyes and mouth. Every day for about a week the redness just got worse then it leveled off. After seeing several dermatologists over the past few months, it has been confirmed its rosacea. So yes, I suppose in some cases it can appear just over night.

Best thing to do is just research it as much as possible and listen to the experienced members on here, such as starlite who had already posted on your thread. They can help you through this and help you so you do not make any of the same mistakes they may have made. But all in all, this condition is really trial and error to find what works. I wish you the best of luck

Comment

thank you. good to know you had white areas too. what did you find helped it? did the doctors put you on anything?

QUOTE=confusedloner;284682]Hi sue, that seems a little bit like me. I've always had oily skin but it was even worse a few weeks before the redness appeared. But when the redness did appear it was completely overnight. I just woke up and my entire face was just a pinkish red color like a sunburn (which I thought was odd because I never burn). And it was freaking me out because it wasn't very even looking and I had circles of normal looking skin around my eyes and mouth. Every day for about a week the redness just got worse then it leveled off. After seeing several dermatologists over the past few months, it has been confirmed its rosacea. So yes, I suppose in some cases it can appear just over night.

Best thing to do is just research it as much as possible and listen to the experienced members on here, such as starlite who had already posted on your thread. They can help you through this and help you so you do not make any of the same mistakes they may have made. But all in all, this condition is really trial and error to find what works. I wish you the best of luck [/QUOTE]

Comment

Thank you Starlite for your feedback. Its weird because I've always had oily skin, even more so now that I'm back. My mom was in a different city, in fact a different state, Missouri. I did drink the water at her house but it was well water an when I come home I drink from a brita pitcher. I do have the sort of periorbital dermatitis looking face, the breakouts are mainly on my chin, jawline and forehead but around my eyes and mouth is white not red. I look like a raccoon...The doctor did say stress can add to it and I was stressed taking care of her, she's in kidney failure. On top of that I was on a hormone for pregnancy but it was only for five days. The doctor had told me that my throid was hypo and gave me a synthroid which I had been taking when this started, I stopped it about a week ago just to see if it would help but so far no change either. I've never experienced this before. My gut says its not rosacea but some allergin but I'm no doctor. When you have rosacea and eat something that is a trigger do you break out or become a brighter red? I have taken a benedryl on and off since I got back but maybe your right trying the cream or taking a pill every night for a few days.
            From what you say, it *could* be rosacea. Stress, hormones, and thyroid issues could be your personal trifecta. Reassure yourself and treat for an allergy for a week. Ya never know what you might have been exposed to.

I am sorry your Mother is not well. I know that can be very stressful and draining. Please take care of your self this week. Get lots of rest, LOTS of green veggies, lots of good fresh filtered water like you said you do, and watch some funny movies. There's a lot of healing in laughter. If you still have the skin issues in a week, then maybe start looking into how to treat rosacea.

What is a "trigger" for one person and how that looks on them, may not be for another. Don't get tripped up on the details on how and when (or if even) a red flush occurs. "Rosacea" seems to be a word they throw at all sorts of skin conditions of the face. It's just a label. Luckily that label led you here to us and the support you needed today.

Having a down day? Inspirational support here! :o)

Comment

thank you. good to know you had white areas too. what did you find helped it? did the doctors put you on anything?
              Yes I have been on several things but not much has helped me too much yet. Using raw honey and coconut oil can help some people quite a bit. It helped me quite a lot in the beginning but seemed to have lost its effectiveness for me.

Just two days ago I under went a ktp Gemini laser treatment to hopefully treat some of the redness so hopefully that works. But for you right now the best thing is probably to just take it easy, don't rush into any creams or treatments yet. I would say just treat your face gentle for a couple weeks, no hot foods or drinks, no rubbing your face, and avoid activities that make you flush. And moisturize with a good gentle lotion.

Just like starlite said, wait a week or two before you start looking into treating rosacea, as there can be several rosacea mimics out there that may be possible to treat much easier, in the mean time you don't want to make anything worse by using over the counter creams or treatments.

Comment

My rosacea happened overnight. I was 19 at the time and had a lot of stress, used a steroid cream on some minor patches around my mouth for 3 days and had stopped my birth control pills as I had spotted some eczema around my mouth and freaked out and out of nowhere I started to flush one night. So badly, bright red, and ever since I kept having that, when sitting in a café, when eating, in class. I never had anything lik that or any skin issue before that. I do think it can happen overnight, and go from pale to pretty bad flushing, as it happened to me. But there are indeed so many different forms and onsets for rosacea, it really seems the result of a whole host of potential underlying causes and triggers.

I hope yours is a rash and dermatitis and not rosacea. Does the rash stay the same type of color all day? Or does the redness come and go? Does your face feels like it's burning when you are red?

best wishes Nat
                My rosacea related blog: http://scarletnat.blogspot.com/2012/...edication.html

Comment

Starlite you are a genius!

Originally posted by Starlite View Post

Holy crap! So when I was in California for a month my face looked beautiful, I didn't have to wear makeup or anything. I ran our of my oracea after two weeks there and thought for sure my face was going to turn against me and it didn't. The day after I come back to New Orleans my face explodes. I kept wondering if it was just timing and my oracea had finally worked its way out of my system or if it was environmental. I kept thinking it was a really strange coincidence and blaming the humidity and weather but maybe its the fluoride in the water here. I really just can't believe that Monday I was in California and my face was fine, Tuesday I fly home face is fine and Wednesday I wake up and my face is a mess. It's insane how fast it happened that I can only think it is environmental somehow. I'm looking into the fluoride thing.
                  http://itsjustyourface.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've rosacea that turned into flaring up after using a pricey prescription cream for a yr. within per week, I noticed a considerable development in redness and blood vessel look. Dermalmd works as well if now not higher, than the $150 prescriptions I used to be using.

Comment

Working...
                    X