Anyone know anything about SOD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about SOD?

I was reading up on Red Light Therapy, trying to work out a routine that will help rosacea (some have run into problems, maybe because they are using it too much, or close?)

Anyhow, this is the article I read: http://www.rosacea-research.org/wiki..._Light_Therapy - interesting read in itself.

Anyone flush when out in the sun?

Also, according to the inflammatory theory of rosacea, since rosaceans have a reduced capacity to counter the negative effects of reactive oxygen species (ROS), increasing levels of superoxide dismutase (SOD), which is key in the process of clearing ROS, should theoretically help to prevent or even reduce some of the damaging effects ROS has on rosacea affected tissues. Studies so far indicate that low-level light therapy increases levels of SOD. (See the page on GliSODin for more information about the effects of SOD on ROS).

I then followed the link at the bottom of the article about SOD: http://www.rosacea-research.org/wiki...title=GliSODin

Until now, nobody has been able to create a delivery system for SOD as it is easily broken down by digestion. However, a French company recently combined gliadin (a wheat protein extract) with a 100% vegetarian form of SOD, which comes from cantaloupe melon, in a product called GliSODin and has been able to demonstrate its absorption. They also demonstrated its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects on patients during UV exposure, protecting against UV-induced flushing, allergic reaction and pruritus:

PL Thomas: GliSODin The Antioxidant Catalyst

It also appears that GliSODin promotes not only SOD, but also Glutathione Peroxidase and Catalase:

GliSODin Clinically Proven Against Oxidative Stress

As a warning, since GliSODin contains a wheat protein extract, those with wheat allergies should be careful of this supplement.

Interesting.

I wonder if anyone knows more about it? Had a brief look at their website, but couldn't see the product.

I've heard this is a good supplement/antioxidant - however I'm allergic to gluten so I've never tried it. I've read on Dr. Perricone's site that it's one of his favorites. If you try it, let us know what you think.

Yvette

Comment

Originally posted by Yvette View Post
      I've heard this is a good supplement/antioxidant - however I'm allergic to gluten so I've never tried it. I've read on Dr. Perricone's site that it's one of his favorites. If you try it, let us know what you think.

Yvette
      Sorry to hear you cannot try it, but maybe Red Loght Treatment might help as it seems to produce the same effect?

I'm trying to find out what the supplement is actually called and if I can get it in the UK.

I think I am right in assuming that it will only help reduce flushing from sun exposure, but well worth a try.

Comment

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...din-pycnogenol

Hopefully that thread should answer some questions. I think I put up two links to the actual product - the second is the cheaper option.

Comment

Working...
        X