Global AD

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long did it take your dermatologist to diagnose rosacea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious too if a lot of people do not go into remission sooner because they get frustrated too quickly and stop taking the prescribed topicals and oral medications from their dermatoligist.
    Doug

Comment

Who long did it take your dermatologist to diagnose rosacea?

According to the NRS & Rosacea SKINsights sponsored by Galderma Laboratories, on "average, women with rosacea waited at least seven months before receiving a correct diagnosis, and only half of respondents had ever heard of the condition upon the time of diagnosis."

Peter and Melissa will no doubt have something to say about the above report which I would love to hear. I thought the above report simply adds to the theme of this thread:

Who long did it take your dermatologist to diagnose rosacea?

Contrary to Peter and Melissa it is not as simple as they experienced according to the above report. However, I look forward to how they will reply to this news.
      Brady Barrows
      Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Brady,
        Peter and Melissa will no doubt have something to say about the above report which I would love to hear.
        I am so glad you are looking forward to hearing from Peter and me
        That is delightful news and I am sure Peter will be thrilled as well ;)

The survey doesn't say it took a doctor 7 months to arrive at a correct diagnosis but it took the person 7 months to get a correct diagnosis which is a very different story.

As we have already discussed (remember?) people often do not go to a dermatologist when they first get symptoms and either try and find the answer themselves via internet research or some other way etc.

So, as already discussed, once you see a dermatologist it should NOT be that difficult to diagnose for most people. Especially if you see a competent dermatologist.

Comment

Originally posted by Melissa W View Post
          Brady,
          I am so glad you are looking forward to hearing from Peter and me
          That is delightful news and I am sure Peter will be thrilled as well ;)

The survey doesn't say it took a doctor 7 months to arrive at a correct diagnosis but it took the person 7 months to get a correct diagnosis which is a very different story.

As we have already discussed (remember?) people often do not go to a dermatologist when they first get symptoms and either try and find the answer themselves via internet research or some other way etc.

So, as already discussed, once you see a dermatologist it should NOT be that difficult to diagnose for most people. Especially if you see a competent dermatologist.
          I didn't understand it that way. So for seven months they simply were floundering around not knowing what condition they were suffering with and possibly thought to themselves what the diagnosis was until they received a 'correct diagnosis.' That clears everything up. Foolish me to think otherwise.
          Brady Barrows
          Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by Brady Barrows View Post
            I didn't understand it that way. So for seven months they simply were floundering around not knowing what condition they were suffering with and possibly thought to themselves what the diagnosis was until they received a 'correct diagnosis.' That clears everything up. Foolish me to think otherwise.
            Your words not mine Brady. I am just pointing out that many people don't go right to a dermatologist for diagnosis but go online, do their ow research, go to general practicioners, internists, etc and therefore delay getting a proper diagnosis from a dermatologist who is the best healthcare professional for obtaining a proper diagnosis for rosacea.

Comment

In any case, it doesn't matter. We are here to provide help, info and support and how long it takes someone to get a diagnosis isn't important when it comes to helping people find relief for their symptoms. I am concerned that people get misinformation from various sources and it is critical to see a dermatologist and obtain an accurate diagnosis and begin to find what treatments provide relief for them.

Comment

A diagnosis of rosacea is important to me.....

In any case, it doesn't matter. We are here to provide help, info and support and how long it takes someone to get a diagnosis isn't important when it comes to helping people find relief for their symptoms. I am concerned that people get misinformation from various sources and it is critical to see a dermatologist and obtain an accurate diagnosis and begin to find what treatments provide relief for them.
                I am in total agreement. For years I have advocated getting a diagnosis from a dermatologist and even have given tips on how one might approach a physician with respect to prevent any antagonism since many do report in the various rosacea groups that their experience with a visit to the doctor is sometimes wanting and what to do to improve the visit rather than coming away frustrated. Getting a correct diagnosis is very important as you have so clearly said above. Surveys like the one the NRS and Galderma sponsored give us some light on why as the report puts it, "This [survey] reveals the high level of misunderstanding and confusion that surrounds rosacea." It is so important to me that in the charter of the RRDi one of the requirements of being a corporate voting member is a diagnosis of rosacea and I wrote the charter. I had some help with the mission statement but felt that a diagnosis from a physician of rosacea must be an integral part of being a member of the RRDi. Self-diagnosis is not a good idea. I have said that for many years.

The point of this thread is to factor whether a brief visit to the dermatologist has anything to do with misdiagnosis. To me the statement in the NRS/Galderma survey about taking seven months to get a 'correct diagnosis' underscores this to me but obviously you read it quite differently. Your conclusion is that the survey means rosaceans simply don't go to a dermatologist who diagnoses better than other health care professionals. This certainly puts things in a different light, but maybe more surveys will be done to clear up the matter even more.
                Brady Barrows
                Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Maybe so.....

In any case, it doesn't matter.
                  Maybe so. But with 81 posts in this thread and 1,805 Views, it matters a little to some. I was hoping to get more replies to my question but the activity in all the online rosacea groups seems to be waning and moving over to YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and other social web sites. I have stats to prove it. This format seems to have run its course but I am hoping it will come back to be popular again.
                  Brady Barrows
                  Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Precisely - I couldn't agree more!

Brady

Having read some of your earlier posts why do I think you are being sarcastic?

This thread you that you started was about how long did your dermatologist take to diagnose rosacea. You seem to have this obsessive theory that you expressed on previous threads, that dermatologists have a difficult time diagnosing rosacea and that it would amaze you if a dermatologist could diagnose rosacea first up. As I have said to you before I consider this is not correct and I have agreed with Melissa and still agree with Melissa, that if someone sees a competent dermatologist then diagnosing rosacea should be fairly straight forward in the majority of cases but of course there will always be the exception to the rule. Anyway we have talked this to death in the past but for some reason it just doesn’t stick with you and so we just keep on going round in circles as per usual?

I have read the article from the link you put up and for me it doesn’t contribute anything to this thread or your theory. The survey states on average women with rosacea waited at least seven months before receiving a correct diagnosis. It doesn’t say they waited at least seven months for a dermatologist to diagnose their condition and as Melissa points out they most probably were trying to self diagnose or just not sure what to do. Probably many of them eventually saw a GP or dermatologist and were diagnosed immediately.

One of the benefits of forums like this one, the RSC and the RSG is that people who think they might have rosacea can read (in most cases) accurate information which will lead them to obtain a correct diagnosis and hopefully a successful treatment regime. This format seems to have run it’s course? No idea because I haven’t been around that much recently but I can still see plenty of posts on the main forums. No doubt new communication mediums will gain more popularity but then nothing lasts for ever – not even rosacea.

Peter

Comment

Reply to Peter

Peter,

Yes, you are bringing up the circular discussion we have already been through again which is contributing to the merry go round. We have both agreed that most dermatologists diagnose rosacea correctly. I am simply trying to establish whether a significant number of rosaceans received a diagnosis in five minutes or less and whether such a cursory visit contributes to misdiagnosis of rosacea. The report I just cited says, there is a "high level of misunderstanding and confusion that surrounds rosacea." I am focusing on misdiagnosis of rosacea, an established fact, which is simply one factor in this 'misunderstanding and confusion.'

Whether a cursory visit does contribute to misdiagnosis is obviously something that would need to be investigated. All I am trying to establish is whether there is a significant number or such visits or not and that is why I am asking the question in this thread. This will be simply anecdotal evidence but it may be one of the factors in misdiagnosis of rosacea. From what I have learned about a diagnosis of rosacea is that it would take at least fifteen to thirty minutes to perform a physical examination, history, and tests to diagnose rosacea. A visit less than five minutes may miss some important differentiation and may be the reason for many of the reports on misdiagnosis. Just because the number of misdiagnosed cases of rosacea are few doesn't mean it is not important to the patients who received the misdiagnosis.

I can see that you and Melissa are in total agreement on this one, but the fact remains that whether the reason these women waited seven months for a 'correct diagnosis' or not, the report shows that this contributed to the 'misunderstanding and confusion' about rosacea. If some of these women read this thread they may be able to shed some light on how long their visit to a dermatologist took which would help others to know if the visit is less than five minutes or if they actually took more than five minutes. This may be helpful for those who still haven't received a 'correct diagnosis.' While you think this thread is not necessary, we shall see if it attracts more replies.

I have written an editorial on why the activity in all the rosacea groups have waned.
                      Brady Barrows
                      Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Maybe it has waned because you read about a lot of doom and gloom on many of these sites and it might make people more depressed. These sites can be good at times when people offer support, talk about treatments that work, latest research, etc. It is not good when people just complain about their condition and that nothing works and you will be miserable forever. I am miserable with my condition but I am hoping it will get better with the life changes I have recently made along with the treatments/medicine from my dermatologist.

Also, people get tired of all the people trying to push a product or website all the time.
                        Doug

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmoof View Post
                          Maybe it has waned because you read about a lot of doom and gloom on many of these sites and it might make people more depressed. These sites can be good at times when people offer support, talk about treatments that work, latest research, etc. It is not good when people just complain about their condition and that nothing works and you will be miserable forever. I am miserable with my condition but I am hoping it will get better with the life changes I have recently made along with the treatments/medicine from my dermatologist.

Also, people get tired of all the people trying to push a product or website all the time.
                          Hi Doug,
                          I totally agree with you

And I am sure you will find relief with all the treatments and life changes you are making. It really is a matter of trial and error and you just need a lot of patience but you will find what works for you!!

Best,
                          Melissa

Comment

Thanks Melissa!
                            Doug

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmoof View Post

Aloha Doug,

Have you noticed that some of the posts in this forum and others start off with, "Is this rosacea?" or something similar with either a description or photos of their face and want the group to 'diagnose' their condition whether or not it is rosacea? Most of the time they are told diagnosis over the internet is not a good idea and encourage them to get a diagnosis preferably from a dermatologist and offer some tips. Since a number of people in this forum and other groups post like this it would be good to educate these ones on what to expect when visiting a dermatologist and what questions they might want to ask. This thread is to simply point out that a cursory visit might happen and that they might want to prolong the visit with some questions or dialog about their history and whether certain tests might be considered, which would take a bit longer than five minutes. As you can see from this thread some report that indeed the visit was cursory. Some might want to be educated on a proper diagnosis.
                              Brady Barrows
                              Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Brady,
                                Doug brings up a valid point. You are always directing people to your website. Do you make money off your website?

Comment

Working...
                                X