Beware vinegar and white wine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware vinegar and white wine!

Hi everyone. This is my first post but I have been living with rosacea for about 13 years (I'm now mid-forties). I wanted to share that the most helpful thing I have found is to avoid all vinegar (except apple cider vinegar). Sounds silly, but this really has been quite life-changing for me. I used to love jalapenos, pickles, balsamic dressing - and chose white wine when I went out. Not only was my rosacea bad, but I often found that my mouth was quite sore for a day or two after eating / drinking this. It took me literally years to make the connection, but it is now very clear to me that avoiding these foods can keep my rosacea under control. On the occasion when I relapse and have a glass of prosecco, for example, I get a flare-up and very sore mouth for days / weeks afterwards. If I avoid them completely, I don't have to think about rosacea.

I know that the idea of food triggers certainly isn't new, and some people talk about vinegar in particular - but I wanted to mention it because the connection in my case between these foods and physical symptoms is crystal clear, but took me years to spot because vinegar can hide in everything. Now when I crave something vinegar-like I eat sauerkraut (which has a vinegar-like taste but no vinegar in) or salad dressing made with apple cider vinegar. And I choose red wine which doesn't seem to have the same effect as white wine. I hope that this rings a bell with someone else too.

I have added vinegar to the list since I don't recall anyone ever bringing this up before, but maybe a diligent search through RF might find someone else reports vinegar as a rosacea trigger. All rosacea triggers are simply anecdotal since there really has not been any double blind, placebo controlled, peer reviewed clinical studies done on rosacea triggers. All rosacea triggers are taken from polls and surveys and are purely anecdotal. Alcohol is usually on any rosacea trigger list, particularly red wine, but white wine has come up before. There has never been one rosacea trigger proposed by anyone that causes a rosacea flareup or flush in every rosacea sufferer, not one. All rosacea triggers are just that, proposed, and one can use the information to see if it benefits their rosacea condition and see if avoiding a trigger helps or not.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Wow, glad you brought this up, as I love balsamic vinegar on my salad leaves. I take apple cider vinegar every day however, and will continue doing so.
      I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

Comment

wow never thought to try removing vinegar from the diet, but do not drink so will try.

Comment

Originally posted by payitforward View Post
          Hi everyone. This is my first post but I have been living with rosacea for about 13 years (I'm now mid-forties). I wanted to share that the most helpful thing I have found is to avoid all vinegar (except apple cider vinegar). Sounds silly, but this really has been quite life-changing for me. I used to love jalapenos, pickles, balsamic dressing - and chose white wine when I went out. Not only was my rosacea bad, but I often found that my mouth was quite sore for a day or two after eating / drinking this. It took me literally years to make the connection, but it is now very clear to me that avoiding these foods can keep my rosacea under control. On the occasion when I relapse and have a glass of prosecco, for example, I get a flare-up and very sore mouth for days / weeks afterwards. If I avoid them completely, I don't have to think about rosacea.

I know that the idea of food triggers certainly isn't new, and some people talk about vinegar in particular - but I wanted to mention it because the connection in my case between these foods and physical symptoms is crystal clear, but took me years to spot because vinegar can hide in everything. Now when I crave something vinegar-like I eat sauerkraut (which has a vinegar-like taste but no vinegar in) or salad dressing made with apple cider vinegar. And I choose red wine which doesn't seem to have the same effect as white wine. I hope that this rings a bell with someone else too.
          i dont normally have vinegar at all but on christmas day i had potatoes soaked in balsamic ... woke up the next day with a huge blotchy angry red rash on my cheeks around my nose , like nothing ive ever had before .

ive still got it today as well , wonder if there is a connection ?

Comment

Some people are saying that the apple cider vinegar help them to reduce redness. I was trying it too for some time but without any success. Although it didn't give me any bad effects either, so it was neutral for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RedMage View Post
              Some people are saying that the apple cider vinegar help them to reduce redness. I was trying it too for some time but without any success. Although it didn't give me any bad effects either, so it was neutral for me.
              i tried it too a few years ago but it did nothing for me either ...

Comment

Wine and vinegar are Rosacea triggers because they liberate histamine from mast cells. While high histamine food and drink are bad for those with Rosacea, it's the histamine liberators that can produce quick, dramatic effects.

Examples of histamine liberators: Alcohol, vinegar, tomatoes, citrus fruits, lobster, mustard, chocolate, egg white, yeast extract etc. There's also various preservatives like Sodium Benzoate that do a real number on my skin.

Here's a link to a PDF with histamine values of various foods. If something has an "L" beside it, it's a liberator:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...izx9FTAOVLvIDN

Comment

Originally posted by xcvq View Post
                  Wine and vinegar are Rosacea triggers because they liberate histamine from mast cells. While high histamine food and drink are bad for those with Rosacea, it's the histamine liberators that can produce quick, dramatic effects.

Examples of histamine liberators: Alcohol, vinegar, tomatoes, citrus fruits, lobster, mustard, chocolate, egg white, yeast extract etc. There's also various preservatives like Sodium Benzoate that do a real number on my skin.

Here's a link to a PDF with histamine values of various foods. If something has an "L" beside it, it's a liberator:

Hi all,

Im new here a I love wine whole life (Red or White - doesnt matter 🙂), but it seems that it is trigger for my rosacea 🤨 But I would like to ask, if someone tried intihistamine wine??

Many thanks for your reply

Comment

Originally posted by xcvq View Post

Hi all,

Im new here and I love wine since I was adult till today (Red or White, doesnt matter ). But it seems that it is trigger for my rosacea Last time. I would like to ask, if someone tried antihistamine version of wine,? if yes, did you see any negative impact/progress to your status of rosacea? I have rosacea, subtype 2, diagnosed from Apr?l this year

Comment

These are very correct tips. White wine worsens my condition.

Comment

Working...
                      X