making changes in skincare routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making changes in skincare routine

I've recently examined my skincare routine and realized that I've been almost OCD, for thirty years, about washing my face. As a teen, I was terrified of getting pimples, so I washed my (relatively clear skin) up to ten times per day with Ivory soap. This did not change throughout my life Well, the frequency may have. By my 40s, I was washing only 3 to 5 times most days, but still with Ivory bar soap. I never used moisturizer in my life, due to my belief that I had "oily" skin and it would clog my pores. Plus, I was addicted to that "squeaky clean" dry and tight feeling, which I associated with being clean.
    No more. Just over one week ago, I switched to Cetaphil gentle liquid cleanser, used only twice per day, and Cerave night moisturizer used nightly over my Metrogel.
    At first, this was hard to deal with psychologically. I can hardly abide feeling greasy and "unclean".
    But very swiftly, my P&Ps began to clear up and the redness around them faded. Now, after ten days on this new regimen, I have no P&Ps (for the first time since this began), only some mild and fading pink scars where they were. I have also gotten used to the feeling of moisturized skin, and am no longer associating it with greasiness and dirtiness. I think I may no longer need Metrogel soon, and will be stopping it as an experiment in about a week, to see if the P&Ps return.
    I am beginning to suspect that I may not have had rosacea at all, but merely a damaged skin barrier causing a rash/irritation. This did all begin overnight, with the use of a harsh retinol product.
    So, we will see what happens.

Originally posted by violet1234 View Post
    I've recently examined my skincare routine and realized that I've been almost OCD, for thirty years, about washing my face. As a teen, I was terrified of getting pimples, so I washed my (relatively clear skin) up to ten times per day with Ivory soap. This did not change throughout my life Well, the frequency may have. By my 40s, I was washing only 3 to 5 times most days, but still with Ivory bar soap. I never used moisturizer in my life, due to my belief that I had "oily" skin and it would clog my pores. Plus, I was addicted to that "squeaky clean" dry and tight feeling, which I associated with being clean.
    No more. Just over one week ago, I switched to Cetaphil gentle liquid cleanser, used only twice per day, and Cerave night moisturizer used nightly over my Metrogel.
    At first, this was hard to deal with psychologically. I can hardly abide feeling greasy and "unclean".
    But very swiftly, my P&Ps began to clear up and the redness around them faded. Now, after ten days on this new regimen, I have no P&Ps (for the first time since this began), only some mild and fading pink scars where they were. I have also gotten used to the feeling of moisturized skin, and am no longer associating it with greasiness and dirtiness. I think I may no longer need Metrogel soon, and will be stopping it as an experiment in about a week, to see if the P&Ps return.
    I am beginning to suspect that I may not have had rosacea at all, but merely a damaged skin barrier causing a rash/irritation. This did all begin overnight, with the use of a harsh retinol product.
    So, we will see what happens.
    Out of interest how old are you ?
    I’m late 40s I was the same using Johnson’s clean and clear but only twice a day.
    And oil of Olay sensitive
    All of a sudden my skin changed I can’t use anything without having a reaction.

Comment

Horrible, how could you use regular soap! It's normal for skin to become oily over time

Comment

Working...
      X