No announcement yet.

Food Experiment Open Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More chatter on makeup... skip if you don't care about makeup...

I recently tried the Dermacol Acnecover makeup (in the turquoise tube) in shade "1" (the lightest, obv). It is, of course, too dark and too yellow. All foundation products are always too yellow because I have a pink undertone, like all rosaceans I suppose. However, of the four different foundations I'm currently trying out (Dermacol Makeup Cover, La Roche Posay Toleriane Teint Mousse foundation, and Toleriane Teint Compact Cream Color Corrector are the other three), it comes closest to my skin color and is also the most fluid, and seems to work the best of the 4.

Incidentally Dermacol Acnecover has tea tree oil in it. I am still a little bit psychologically traumatized by my TTO die-off so I am scared to wear this one right now. I put it on and took it off right away, I just wanted to see what it looked like.

I think my best hope for finding a foundation that matches my skin tone might be to look for a range that markets to a different demographic... Dermacol is Czech and LRP is French, I think I am just the wrong color for these countries. But what country has pink people? I was thinking Japanese or Korean makeup might have paler shades but would they have a strong pink undertone? I don't know. I've never tried. I can get Shiseido here but it's out of my price range. I can get Missha BB cream but I've seen reviews of it that it has a very gray undertone, I don't know what that would look like.

I am traveling to the USA soon (January) and will be able to buy makeup there if I can identify anything that I like, but I just don't know where to start. I will try reading some makeup threads on this forum and see what others have found works for them. I am just really afraid to step outside the comforting dermatological lines of French pharmacy brands. I really do NOT trust American cosmetic companies for example.

Comment

I found this video very useful. I don't think that I'm susceptible to most of it myself, but I think it's good in general. I also think her suggestions about what to include in a rosacea journal are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6kb2xhWHN4

Comment

Photo Update

In today's photo I haven't done anything to my skin yet for the day, but I did drink coffee and hot lemon water.

Photo 1: Left to right: August 10, November 16, December 10:

aug 10 nov 16 dec 10 new.jpg

Photo 2: Today, December 10, three sides:

dec 10 front and sides.jpg

Photo 3: A comparison of my slowwwww progress over the past 3 months. Left: October 10. Center: November 16. Right: December 10.

oct 10 nov 16 dec 10.jpg

I would not expect anyone to be able to tell the difference, but I can see it. My pink color is gradually reducing and in today's photo, I have an overall slightly more yellow cast which means my pink undertone is relatively less than it used to be. There are a couple stray pink marks today. Texture continues to be very good. No blemishes, no dryness, no complaints.

One thing I think that doesn't show up in the photos is I do have some minor teleangiectasia on and around my nose.

For reference:
        August 10: in midst of demodex die-off
        October 10: had been on Metrogel for 3.5 weeks
        November 16: had been on Metrogel for 7 weeks
        December 10: had been on Metrogel for 11.5 weeks.

(I always make sure my neck and shoulders are visible in these photos so you can see what my real skin color is SUPPOSED to be lol. Note how incredibly white my natural skin color is....)

Comment

Awesome, how wonderful of you to share such details and pics of your treatment journey.

Comment

laser_cat, I'm very happy to share! I just hope it's helpful to someone!

I've been doing well this week, still trying to figure out the makeup situation...

I had to invent a new "grade" for my face: A few days ago, I rated myself a "0" !! There was much rejoicing. Back to a "1" now and feeling good about it.

Food has been very constant, nothing new. However a few things I picked up to try that I haven't had yet: venison salami; red raspberries (raw). I've still been eating all the same things I'm always eating that you've seen me write about a million times before. I think next week I may add romanescu cauliflower, I saw that in the store and it looked very tempting.

As for skin care, I have ordered a few new things... I am not ashamed to admit that I am completely addicted to these French thermal mists, I ordered the La Roche Posay one to try so now I will have 4 of them (Avene, Uriage, Vichy, and La Roche), in addition to Serozinc which I've been using for a week now and I LOVE IT.

I also ordered a Uriage lip balm (Bariederm Cica something) because the Octenisept spray on my face every night is harsh on my lips, I'm hoping that will help them.

So on the topic of makeup...

I tested a bunch of French pharmacy foundations, CC creams, etc., and the only color match I found was Vichy Liftactiv flexiteint (something close that, at least) -- I got a sample of it and put it on at home, took it off after about an hour, and it had irritated my skin. I was not happy about that at all... The pharmacist did tell me that Vichy is not quite at the level of Avene and La Roche Posay for catering to sensitive skin though, so I guess it's not too shocking. Vichy Liftactiv is an anti-aging foundation which means it has extra things in it, probably something in the ingredients was too much for my skin. But it was very disappointing because in addition to actually color matching me (which no other foundation has done yet) it looked AMAZING on my face. I had even put it in my online pharmacy cart, that's how sure I was that I was going to buy it. And then it irritated my skin

So I think at this point I've tried all the options for foundation for sensitive skin; they're either too dark, too yellow, too irritating, they pill, or they crease. So I'm done. I'm not going to try any more. I'm just going to use loose powder and stop wasting my time trying to find the "right" formula and a company that caters to people with my skin color (transparent pale pink lol).

I went ahead and ordered two different loose powders from Grace My Face as well as their green concealer powder, and when I get those I will just find a way to make them work and let it go. I ordered their large size (which is huge) so hopefully I will get a lot of use out of that. I did however have them sent to my family in the USA so I won't actually get my hands on them for a month, I just wanted to avoid the hassle of customs and international shipping etc. But when I eventually get them I'll let you know how I get on. I'm going to assume they'll be fine. I would have liked to find an actual foundation but oh well.

I (probably foolishly) ordered a Korres mineral blush/bronzer palette but it was half price and I figured that it was worth a try... the blush I have now, I've had since 2006 and the bronzer since 2004... that can't be healthy... (No, I haven't been using them! But I think it's time to throw those out and have something a little more contemporary and FINGERS CROSSED it won't irritate my skin.) I've had mixed results with Korres makeup in the past but it is supposedly of a high quality, we'll see.

Comment

I had a slightly odd experience tonight, thought I'd add it to the journal here.

I had very good skin today, "1" (I debated between "0" and "1" but ultimately decided on "1" as my cheek was pinker than the side of my face) and for dinner I had a very hot soup (ingredients: tarhana, chicken bouillon cube, water). The soup flushed me a lot (from the heat/steam I'm sure, there's nothing in it that could have caused a dietary flush). I noticed after about an hour it was still very red. However, about four hours later, the flush was gone, but it took the pre-existing redness with it. That's the only way I can think of to describe it.

It's almost as if I needed a flush in order to clean out the redness that was there before the flush. I know that makes no sense, but I was shocked when I looked in the mirror around midnight and my face was paler than it had been this morning. Especially because I had already decided no more hot soup for me, because the flush was very strong. Weird.

Comment

Had a bad skin day today. It was my first "2" in about 20 days (which in itself is amazing) both for redness and for having about 4 little pustules scattered around. One actually on my cheek which is very rare for me and a couple near my nose, that's more normal, and a tiny bump on my forehead that went away without turning into anything.

I am inclined to put it down to hormones. Got my period about 8 days early this month which is weird and very rare for me, had loads of other 'symptoms' so I think my hormones are on overdrive this month. I'm wondering if I brought it on myself by eating significantly more this past month than I had been for the previous several months. I'm hoping tomorrow will be back to normal because I was down all day, plus had a terrible mood all day (not because of my skin but it sure didn't help).

I've ordered some new skincare products (my new obsession apparently) and they were supposed to arrive today but the courier screwed up. I hope I get them tomorrow.

Food-wise, I actually did try a new food yesterday which I had again today: organic rice cakes. Maybe they made me red, probably not but maybe. I have a bunch left so will be able to test them out properly.

My food today all day was:
                roasted almonds, low-fat milk, espresso, cheddar cheese, peanut butter, candied ginger, eggs, rice cakes, cream cheese, and a few chocolate chips. I've had the candied ginger a number of times over the past month with no issues. All the other food is something I've been eating for months. Only the rice cakes are new.

Comment

Originally posted by dryad View Post
                  Had a bad skin day today. It was my first "2" in about 20 days (which in itself is amazing) both for redness and for having about 4 little pustules scattered around. One actually on my cheek which is very rare for me and a couple near my nose, that's more normal, and a tiny bump on my forehead that went away without turning into anything.

I am inclined to put it down to hormones. Got my period about 8 days early this month which is weird and very rare for me, had loads of other 'symptoms' so I think my hormones are on overdrive this month. I'm wondering if I brought it on myself by eating significantly more this past month than I had been for the previous several months. I'm hoping tomorrow will be back to normal because I was down all day, plus had a terrible mood all day (not because of my skin but it sure didn't help).

I've ordered some new skincare products (my new obsession apparently) and they were supposed to arrive today but the courier screwed up. I hope I get them tomorrow.

Food-wise, I actually did try a new food yesterday which I had again today: organic rice cakes. Maybe they made me red, probably not but maybe. I have a bunch left so will be able to test them out properly.

My food today all day was:
                  roasted almonds, low-fat milk, espresso, cheddar cheese, peanut butter, candied ginger, eggs, rice cakes, cream cheese, and a few chocolate chips. I've had the candied ginger a number of times over the past month with no issues. All the other food is something I've been eating for months. Only the rice cakes are new.
                  How is going Dryad? Missing your updates and contributions to the forum.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Comment

I really think you arent doing things right. To test food intolerance just better is worthless. You need to start with beef and water and fast. Its silly to say you are ok on certain foods and still a red face.

Google micaela peterson and here experiences on a beef only diet.

Im sure most of what are eating is bad like the cheeses for one.

Comment

• NEW UPDATE FROM ME

I've been traveling abroad and domestically for a few months but have stayed extremely assiduous on all skin care. I have concluded my food experiment with the following: I do not have *any* trigger foods in my regular diet, or even foods that I ate abroad that are nowhere near my regular diet. My rosacea is unassociated with diet altogether. After about seven months of careful tracking, starting by eating basically nothing except sweet potatoes and fish, up to now where I eat whatever I want, there is no correlation between food and face.

The only correlation is if I eat hot soup I can get a short-lived flush. For a while I thought the combination of yogurt and wheat might have been causing it but I figured out that that was purely because of temperature. If I spray my face immediately before, during, and after eating a very hot soup with French thermal spring water (a la Avene, Uriage, La Roche Posay, Vichy) then I don't get the flush.

I haven't seen my dermatologist since early January because I've been away but I will be making an appointment to see her soon. She will probably put me on the tranexamic acid by mouth therapy at that time but I can't be sure.

My current regimen is as follows:

Morning:
                      - clean face with either Bioderma Hydrabio micellar solution ("for dehydrated sensitive skin") *or* Uriage micellar solution (for dehydrated sensitive skin) - both of these companies use a blue-colored cap for this one - with a 100% cotton pad. Allow to dry naturally.
                      - spray whole face with Serozinc zinc sulfate solution by La Roche Posay *or* dab a tiny amount of Avene Cleanance MAT mattifying emulsion on the little foldy bits around my nose and also the indentation on my chin (basically the only parts of my face that count as "skin folds"). Allow to dry naturally.
                      - apply a small amount of Hydrovit 3D Superlifter day cream (a hyaluronic acid face cream in individual dose ampules, which allow them to make it without preservatives, however I use one ampule over the course of two days) - this is sold by Target Pharma and is only available in Greece but I suppose any hyaluronic acid face cream without preservatives would be more or less the same thing - I use this one because of the no preservatives and because I was getting too dehydrated without a humectant moisturizer. Allow about 5 minutes to pass.
                      - apply a moderate amount of Bioderma Photoderm AR (Anti-Redness) SPF 50+ tinted sunscreen to my entire face and massage in, allow to "set" for 30 minutes before doing anything else (and especially before exposure to the sun).

Throughout the day:
                      - spray my face with eau thermale if I feel hot, stressed, or if I exert myself basically at all. (This helps prevent flushing because it tanks the temperature of my skin.) I use the ones from Avene, Uriage, and La Roche Posay during the day.)
                      - if I need to "top up" my sunscreen, I spray my face with Bioderma Hydrabio eau de soin Brume hydratante anti-UV SPF 30 (spray sunscreen) *or* I remove my morning sunscreen with micellar solution and reapply the Photoderm AR.

Night:
                      - clean face with the same micellar solution as in the morning. Allow to dry.
                      - apply a small amount of Metronidazole 0.75% gel (Robaz in Greece, Metrogel in the USA) to the parts of my face that experienced rosacea at its worst extent, but not the parts that were never affected. Wait a full HOUR.
                      - spray my face with Vichy eau thermale (I only use this one once at night because it's $$$ compared to the others but I like it because it contains enough elemental sulfur to smell.)
                      - apply Uriage D.S. Emulsion regulating cream all over my entire face.
                      - (lately because I happened to have some, I was using Avene Physiolift Yeux eye cream on my eye contour but I'm not going to be continuing with that, I was just using the sample they sent me for a month. It's fine but I'm not going to pay for it.)
                      - if I'm still awake after another hour, I spray my face with Uriage eau thermale which helps me sleep.

In the event that I have a pustule:
                      About once/week I will notice that I have a pustule (i.e., extraordinarily shallow tiny white dot on my face). When that happens:
                      - as part of my morning and/or night skincare, after washing my face but before anything else: spray my entire face with Octenisept (octenidine HCL) spray and allow to dry for at least 5 minutes.
                      - topically apply a small amount of Pfizer Dalacin-C lotion (1% clindamycin lotion) and allow to sit for about 5 minutes before doing anything else, but if evening, don't put the Metrogel over the spot where the Dalacin-C is so it can work by itself.

I'm including a photo of my progress below. The photo on the left is from August 2018 and the photo on the right is from today, April 9, 2019.

aug 6 vs april 9.jpg

My mother, who has had the same condition as me for about 40 years, at my urging finally found a dermatologist to test her for demodex via skin scraping and was found to have an extraordinarily high population. She's now on ivermectin by mouth and Metrocream (she found Metrogel to be too irritating). She is feeling very positive and optimistic!

Trevi - that's a ****ty thing to say to a person. I don't appreciate it and this kind of message is why I took a break from this forum. Please keep your nastiness out of my thread, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by dryad View Post
                        NEW UPDATE FROM ME

I've been traveling abroad and domestically for a few months but have stayed extremely assiduous on all skin care. I have concluded my food experiment with the following: I do not have *any* trigger foods in my regular diet, or even foods that I ate abroad that are nowhere near my regular diet. My rosacea is unassociated with diet altogether. After about seven months of careful tracking, starting by eating basically nothing except sweet potatoes and fish, up to now where I eat whatever I want, there is no correlation between food and face.

The only correlation is if I eat hot soup I can get a short-lived flush. For a while I thought the combination of yogurt and wheat might have been causing it but I figured out that that was purely because of temperature. If I spray my face immediately before, during, and after eating a very hot soup with French thermal spring water (a la Avene, Uriage, La Roche Posay, Vichy) then I don't get the flush.

I haven't seen my dermatologist since early January because I've been away but I will be making an appointment to see her soon. She will probably put me on the tranexamic acid by mouth therapy at that time but I can't be sure.

My current regimen is as follows:

Morning:
                        - clean face with either Bioderma Hydrabio micellar solution ("for dehydrated sensitive skin") *or* Uriage micellar solution (for dehydrated sensitive skin) - both of these companies use a blue-colored cap for this one - with a 100% cotton pad. Allow to dry naturally.
                        - spray whole face with Serozinc zinc sulfate solution by La Roche Posay *or* dab a tiny amount of Avene Cleanance MAT mattifying emulsion on the little foldy bits around my nose and also the indentation on my chin (basically the only parts of my face that count as "skin folds"). Allow to dry naturally.
                        - apply a small amount of Hydrovit 3D Superlifter day cream (a hyaluronic acid face cream in individual dose ampules, which allow them to make it without preservatives, however I use one ampule over the course of two days) - this is sold by Target Pharma and is only available in Greece but I suppose any hyaluronic acid face cream without preservatives would be more or less the same thing - I use this one because of the no preservatives and because I was getting too dehydrated without a humectant moisturizer. Allow about 5 minutes to pass.
                        - apply a moderate amount of Bioderma Photoderm AR (Anti-Redness) SPF 50+ tinted sunscreen to my entire face and massage in, allow to "set" for 30 minutes before doing anything else (and especially before exposure to the sun).

Throughout the day:
                        - spray my face with eau thermale if I feel hot, stressed, or if I exert myself basically at all. (This helps prevent flushing because it tanks the temperature of my skin.) I use the ones from Avene, Uriage, and La Roche Posay during the day.)
                        - if I need to "top up" my sunscreen, I spray my face with Bioderma Hydrabio eau de soin Brume hydratante anti-UV SPF 30 (spray sunscreen) *or* I remove my morning sunscreen with micellar solution and reapply the Photoderm AR.

Night:
                        - clean face with the same micellar solution as in the morning. Allow to dry.
                        - apply a small amount of Metronidazole 0.75% gel (Robaz in Greece, Metrogel in the USA) to the parts of my face that experienced rosacea at its worst extent, but not the parts that were never affected. Wait a full HOUR.
                        - spray my face with Vichy eau thermale (I only use this one once at night because it's $$$ compared to the others but I like it because it contains enough elemental sulfur to smell.)
                        - apply Uriage D.S. Emulsion regulating cream all over my entire face.
                        - (lately because I happened to have some, I was using Avene Physiolift Yeux eye cream on my eye contour but I'm not going to be continuing with that, I was just using the sample they sent me for a month. It's fine but I'm not going to pay for it.)
                        - if I'm still awake after another hour, I spray my face with Uriage eau thermale which helps me sleep.

In the event that I have a pustule:
                        About once/week I will notice that I have a pustule (i.e., extraordinarily shallow tiny white dot on my face). When that happens:
                        - as part of my morning and/or night skincare, after washing my face but before anything else: spray my entire face with Octenisept (octenidine HCL) spray and allow to dry for at least 5 minutes.
                        - topically apply a small amount of Pfizer Dalacin-C lotion (1% clindamycin lotion) and allow to sit for about 5 minutes before doing anything else, but if evening, don't put the Metrogel over the spot where the Dalacin-C is so it can work by itself.

I'm including a photo of my progress below. The photo on the left is from August 2018 and the photo on the right is from today, April 9, 2019.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5542[/ATTACH]

My mother, who has had the same condition as me for about 40 years, at my urging finally found a dermatologist to test her for demodex via skin scraping and was found to have an extraordinarily high population. She's now on ivermectin by mouth and Metrocream (she found Metrogel to be too irritating). She is feeling very positive and optimistic!

Trevi - that's a ****ty thing to say to a person. I don't appreciate it and this kind of message is why I took a break from this forum. Please keep your nastiness out of my thread, thanks.
                        Hi Dryad - you've made amazing progress between the two photos. You asked above about a foundation for a red undertone skin. Oxygenetix is specifically designed for highly sensitive skin and they do have a so called 'blue base' series, the lightest of which is 'Pearl', for skin with a "rose/pink skin undertone". I also find most of the foundations seem too dark for my skin type. The other problem with rosacea of course is any skin flakiness when applying the foundation.

Comment

• antwantsclear - thank you for the recommendation! Lately I have been finding that the coverage I get from my tinted sunscreen (of all things!) is adequate as a "foundation", the problem is it is quite oily (either the sunscreen, or my skin, I can't really tell), and putting anything like a powder on top makes it "break up" and look quite bad. I tried loose powder foundation with mineral sunscreen but found it also broke up even by itself (and I couldn't wear it over my liquid sunscreen at all).

For now, I'm trying to rock the "natural rosy glow" look and avoiding makeup in general but I will keep an eye out for the Oxygenetix one!

Comment

Working...
                          X