Which diet has helped you the most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which diet has helped you the most?

I've noticed a lot of threads regarding diet changes that have helped improve and significantly reduce rosacea symptoms. What I have gleaned from them is that a majority of sufferers seem to have rosacea for different reasons related to digestion, including SIBO (small intestinal bacteial overgrowth), leaky gut, oxidative stress and histamine intolerance.

The following diets seem to be the most popular:

- Paleo
    - Alkaline
    - Low histamine
    - Anti-inflammatory
    - GAPS (Gut healing)
    - FODMAPS

I understand that there is an overlap with most, and for some individuals simply adding probiotics to their daily routine was sufficient enough to combat the redness.

But I am curious: what type of rosacea do you have and which diet/supplements have helped you the most?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
    I've noticed a lot of threads regarding diet changes that have helped improve and significantly reduce rosacea symptoms. What I have gleaned from them is that a majority of sufferers seem to have rosacea for different reasons related to digestion, including SIBO (small intestinal bacteial overgrowth), leaky gut, oxidative stress and histamine intolerance.

The following diets seem to be the most popular:

- Paleo
    - Alkaline
    - Low histamine
    - Anti-inflammatory
    - GAPS (Gut healing)
    - FODMAPS

I understand that there is an overlap with most, and for some individuals simply adding probiotics to their daily routine was sufficient enough to combat the redness.

But I am curious: what type of rosacea do you have and which diet/supplements have helped you the most?

Thanks in advance!
    I had type 2 and type 4 rosacea first with type 1 following. Diet did not become an issue for me until the type 1 arose, when it became obvious the flushing was linked to dietary triggers. Avoidance of triggers has been the only diet that I have followed. I've taken a lot of different supplements but the ones that have clearly helped the most are evening primrose oil for the ocular symptoms, triphala for digestive problems and alpha lipoic acid for redness. That's not to say the other supplements I take like zinc and probiotics aren't helping. I think a lot of them are but the change is too gradual to be very obvious.

Comment

I have the acne one not sure what number that is but I only have some mild redness on my cheeks the acne is more the issue. I was fodmap, gluten free and dairy/soy free for 2 yrs before getting rosacea now I'm trying to go grainfree slowly. Using up all my gluten free food and switching over I quinoa slowly. I also reduced my intake of bananas and tomatoes by 75%. So far haven't noticed any huge changes but I've been told it takes several months. Switched from almond milk to unsweetened coconut milk as well and cut my sugar intake by 75% as well. Cut alcohol intake to a few times a year. I also use metrogel and finacea. And topically primrose oil, Vit E and almond oil for carrier oil. I take a stomach acid pill when I ear protein from naturopath, borage oil, and soon I'll be taking coconut oil internally. It's only been 2-3 months and I'm still working on it. My acne has slowed down, not spread and is healing a bit faster but nothing to remarkable still down right side of my face.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodgirl2829 View Post
        I have the acne one not sure what number that is but I only have some mild redness on my cheeks the acne is more the issue. I was fodmap, gluten free and dairy/soy free for 2 yrs before getting rosacea now I'm trying to go grainfree slowly. Using up all my gluten free food and switching over I quinoa slowly. I also reduced my intake of bananas and tomatoes by 75%. So far haven't noticed any huge changes but I've been told it takes several months. Switched from almond milk to unsweetened coconut milk as well and cut my sugar intake by 75% as well. Cut alcohol intake to a few times a year. I also use metrogel and finacea. And topically primrose oil, Vit E and almond oil for carrier oil. I take a stomach acid pill when I ear protein from naturopath, borage oil, and soon I'll be taking coconut oil internally. It's only been 2-3 months and I'm still working on it. My acne has slowed down, not spread and is healing a bit faster but nothing to remarkable still down right side of my face.
        If you don't mind me asking, did digestive issues lead you to FODMAPS/gluten/dairy/soy free?

I have started eliminating most dairy, sugar and gluten from my diet, also. What are your go-to foods/meals? I struggle to come up with ideas of what to eat, as some even suggest to eliminate most fruit because of its sugar content.

The only sugar I knowingly consume comes from raw honey, almond milk and bananas at the moment. Thinking about dropping the bananas and eating berries only.

I do drink organic kefir (99% lactose free) and will use parmesan in cooking, but otherwise no dairy.

I've decided to cut down meat consumption to 3 times a week - only white fish, salmon and chicken. The other days I eat quinoa, rice, cooked veggies and vegetable soups.

I still eat nightshades - not so much tomatoes, but I use potato in my soups - are they supposed to be high histamine?

Comment

Yes I has IBS 2 years ago and started the diet. Potatoes are fine on most of the doers and meat as will especially the ones u listed. I'm trying to phase out rice but that is super hard!!

Comment

I have pretty much tried all diets but give up way to soon. Its hard to make such sacrifices and not see results right away but I am learning how to deal. Right now, I am trying the SCD diet for my ocular rosacea. We will see. I find on that diet you can have a little more than others I have tried but over the last 5 years I have found my triggers: gluten, grains, dairy (most), grapes, wine, anything spicy, coffee, soy, corn, beans, the list goes on...

good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

There seems to be a lot of common triggers with rosacea-sufferers. Just wondering how deep the rabbit hole goes - whether the foods themselves are inherent triggers by being high-inflammatory or high-histamine - or whether the response to them are more of an indicator of a deeper problem, such as a compromised gut/immune system caused by other underlying factors (e.g. bacteria or fungal overgrowth). In other words, if we can fix the underlying cause, would we still have issues with the food?

It's just a fickle thing - fermented foods are high in histamine, yet are fantastic for gut health. Where do you win?

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
                Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

There seems to be a lot of common triggers with rosacea-sufferers. Just wondering how deep the rabbit hole goes - whether the foods themselves are inherent triggers by being high-inflammatory or high-histamine - or whether the response to them are more of an indicator of a deeper problem, such as a compromised gut/immune system caused by other underlying factors (e.g. bacteria or fungal overgrowth). In other words, if we can fix the underlying cause, would we still have issues with the food?

It's just a fickle thing - fermented foods are high in histamine, yet are fantastic for gut health. Where do you win?

I think if you fix the underlying gut problem in cases where there is one, the dietary triggers will go away. I can eat more of things that I wasn't able to before -- like sausages without getting a reaction.

Comment

Carrots, rolled oats and tuna/Samon

Comment

Lectin avoidance

I recently started a Lectin avoidance diet which seems to help. I'm off dairy as well. I do still get redness after common triggers like hot baths, etc. But it definitely seems to be helping. I'm off sugars and sweeteners too since they kill the good bacteria's in your digestion system. I take probiodic supplements and eat lots of pickles. Lectin avoidance is basically no carbs except fruit, no nuts, seeds, beans, and nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, corn, etc). Very restrictive but i'm surviving. Losing weight too.

Comment

Working...
                    X