Paleo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo

Im kind of leaning towards trying the paleo diet and seeing if that helps my rosacea. Problem being i cant totally go paleo, breakfast and lunch i can but dinner time is family time so id have to eat what the family eats. Id just make smarter choices with grains and what not... Do any if you paleo rosaceans think ill see results eating paleo meals 3/4 of the time?

Originally posted by DennyB View Post
    Im kind of leaning towards trying the paleo diet and seeing if that helps my rosacea. Problem being i cant totally go paleo, breakfast and lunch i can but dinner time is family time so id have to eat what the family eats. Id just make smarter choices with grains and what not... Do any if you paleo rosaceans think ill see results eating paleo meals 3/4 of the time?
    Any reduction in carbohydrate should notice a measurable reduction in rosacea flare ups. Try it.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Well so far im very happy with this diet, i thought giving up pasta and breads would be rough but not so much! I will gladly sacrifice almost any meal for steak and vegetables! On the sugar that's no trouble avoiding since the only sugar i really consume is from fruits, and dairy i usually avoid anyway since I'm lactose intolerant. Grains and legumes are tough tho since I've always used them as meals or meal sides. On a side note i do need to find a rosacea friendly protein powder which i like, the hemp protein from trader joes is horrible and it only has 9 grams protein a serving.

As far as my face it feels great already, not sure its wishful thinking but it almost feels normal and not as if im wearing a dry/irritated rosacea mask except after my morning cup of regular coffee (after that I go decaf). It is however noticeably more oily than its been in months. In pictures it does look a shade or two lighter, and my flushing (usually after exercise) seams to not last as long and not as severe.

I plan to stay as paleo as possible for 60 days at least, and probably longer if it controls my rosacea good. I also take pictures every day when on a new regime so if i get fantastic results ill be posting them up at the end. For face & body soap i use Dr Bronners tea tree castle soap and shampoo i use tea tree mint shampoo. Please chime in paleo people if theres any advice which you can give me!

Comment

Well so far im very happy with this diet, i thought giving up pasta and breads would be rough but not so much! I will gladly sacrifice almost any meal for steak and vegetables! On the sugar that's no trouble avoiding since the only sugar i really consume is from fruits, and dairy i usually avoid anyway since I'm lactose intolerant. Grains and legumes are tough tho since I've always used them as meals or meal sides. On a side note i do need to find a rosacea friendly protein powder which i like, the hemp protein from trader joes is horrible and it only has 9 grams protein a serving.

As far as my face it feels great already, not sure its wishful thinking but it almost feels normal and not as if im wearing a dry/irritated rosacea mask except after my morning cup of regular coffee (after that I go decaf). It is however noticeably more oily than its been in months. In pictures it does look a shade or two lighter, and my flushing (usually after exercise) seams to not last as long and not as severe.

I plan to stay as paleo as possible for 60 days at least, and probably longer if it controls my rosacea good. I also take pictures every day when on a new regime so if i get fantastic results ill be posting them up at the end. For face & body soap i use Dr Bronners tea tree castle soap and shampoo i use tea tree mint shampoo. Please chime in paleo people if theres any advice which you can give me!
        Hey, Denny, as a LolCat would say, "You're doing it right!" I'm sure your skin IS improving, and it's not just wishful thinking. If it were [wishful thinking] then various Rxes that you tried before would have done it as well.

Yeah, protein powder is an issue. I use hemp, plain, in coconut milk and take away the disgusting edge with Dark Chocolate drops sweetened with stevia. It's something I found at Swansonhealth. If you go to their site and search for chocolate or maybe stevia you'll arrive at it. It does help. Doesn't add more protein, of course. After the hemp I'll try pea powder and then move to rice protein or something. I think it's good to keep these circulating so you don't incur a sensitivity.

Oh, what if you use almond milk? Doesn't that add protein? I have yet to go to the store and look!

One thing you can add to your skin care is something for the night when demodex are active. You might try getting a teeny bottle of tea tree oil and a teeny bottle of sea buckthorn oil and mixing up a little combo. You might find tea tree oil face creams, too. But I think these two are all you need. Just use a thin layer.

For meal sides, I use more "veggies", eg: steam broccoli, cut it up small and stir in ripe avocado. top with slivered almonds.

G
        "It's all illusion anyway."

Comment

P.S. for oily skin you can make a great mask with Aztec Secret clay + apple cider vinegar. Just follow the directions on the Aztec Secret. You need less vinegar than you think!

You may be a little red after, so do it at night. Leave on for 5 minutes until you see how it works for you.

Comment

Ghost, as far as the protein goes im going to try making tonight's post workout shake with some strawberry and banana which i think will make the hemp go down much easier and help suspend the partials through out the shake instead of sinking to the bottom. Also I use Blue Diamond Almond milk which only has 1g of protein per serving, Im also thinking with me eating much more chicken, beef and fish im not losing out on protein but rather distributing it through out the day instead of just post exercise (actually im probably getting more). I will also add the tea tree topical for night, can you recommend a good mixture ratio that will be mild (a ratio such as 4tsp_sbto:1tsp_tto would be best for me to understand)?

Comment

Denny,

What flavor of Hemp protein are you drinking? I find the chocolate to be much better than the vanilla. I just mix it with a bit of water, a couple ounces of the thick coconut milk that comes in a can, lots of crushed ice and then blend it up into a smoothie type shake. It's cold and doesn't taste bad. I've been doing this for over a year.

-Dave-

Comment

Originally posted by flying_er View Post
                Denny,

What flavor of Hemp protein are you drinking? I find the chocolate to be much better than the vanilla. I just mix it with a bit of water, a couple ounces of the thick coconut milk that comes in a can, lots of crushed ice and then blend it up into a smoothie type shake. It's cold and doesn't taste bad. I've been doing this for over a year.

-Dave-
                Its the texture more so than the flavor. With my old protein a scoop (25g) made it just thick enough. Hemp protein don't seem to do that, i think once i learn to thicken it to my liken ill be OK

Comment

Its the texture more so than the flavor. With my old protein a scoop (25g) made it just thick enough. Hemp protein don't seem to do that, i think once i learn to thicken it to my liken ill be OK
                  Use less liquid?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                    Use less liquid?
                    Nope i used only about a cup Amilk and 30 grams powder, put it in the bullet for a bit, exercised, then shook it again. In the end it was like it was when i first made it

Comment

Ghost, as far as the protein goes im going to try making tonight's post workout shake with some strawberry and banana which i think will make the hemp go down much easier and help suspend the partials through out the shake instead of sinking to the bottom. Also I use Blue Diamond Almond milk which only has 1g of protein per serving, Im also thinking with me eating much more chicken, beef and fish im not losing out on protein but rather distributing it through out the day instead of just post exercise (actually im probably getting more). I will also add the tea tree topical for night, can you recommend a good mixture ratio that will be mild (a ratio such as 4tsp_sbto:1tsp_tto would be best for me to understand)?
                      Hope your shakes are getting better.

I don't know how quickly the body uses up protein. I read once that one good protein meal is fine for adults. But who knows. Even asking different docs and using the internet I get different results of how many grams of protein to have per day. One doc said if you lack protein it's going to show very quickly, so don't worry about it. He didn't think regular healthy people can not get enough from varied meals.

Regarding tto -- I'm not sure what to tell you. What you can do if this appeals to you is first put a thin layer of SBO then put 5 drops of tto into your subordinate hand's palm and with the index finger of your dominant hand pick up some tto and dot it on to your face, pick up more and continue. You can add more drops if needed. It depends on how your skin is feeling. You can come back and put on some more tto if all is calm.

If you have badly bitten skin it's much more likely to turn red than not-compromised skin would.

As you kill off the mites your skin will heal and you won't get a big reaction from the tto.

Consistency is the key. Your first application will get the top ones. But new ones keep coming up for a long time.

I hope that helps. I really had no measured method. I'd just throw on the SBO and the tto. Same with the borax solution.

You can try your spoon method if that feels better. All you would need is half a teaspoon of SBO and 2 drops of tto. Stir with your finger and apply. If you need more, do it again.

G

Comment

Paleo (w/Pics)

So Ive been strictly paleo for officially 1 week now and my face feels great! Here are the results so far which im blown away by, this diet has done more for my complexion in a week than any derm has in the past 20 years.

Start
                        paleostart.jpg

Week 1
                        paleoweek1.jpg

Comment

Glad it's working for ya! Still works for me. I wouldn't dream of going back to my old way of eating.

G

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                            I wouldn't dream of going back to my old way of eating.

G
                            I understand not going back to past eating habits, but once your rosacea was under control were you able to occasionally cheat with a slice of pizza or a good sandwich without it wrecking havoc on your complexion?

Comment

I understand not going back to past eating habits, but once your rosacea was under control were you able to occasionally cheat with a slice of pizza or a good sandwich without it wrecking havoc on your complexion?
                              I don't miss it.

Also, I know the wheat was killing me in other ways. Before paleo I had "idiopathic" high blood pressure of >155 over something. My doctor was threatening me with pills. I was not heavy and I exercised PLUS I ate "right". What a laff.

Last visit to the doc (who happens to be a cardiologist as well as gp) I clocked in at 110/70.

Nothing changed but the diet.

Rosacea is just a symptom of other symptoms of what is going on deep inside.

Someone on a n.g. quoted someone as saying "rosacea is diabetes of the skin."

This made a lot of sense to me. So I went to Atkins and such right away to see what they had to say. That's how I ended up Paleo with all its benefits.

Don't forget Paleo starts with P-A-L-E. ;-)

G

Comment

Working...
                              X