Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for avoiding a Sun Burn on Face

Hey guys,
    Sorry for the barrage of questions. Hopefully you can help!

So here I am with a red, tight-feeling face after spending a day outside in the sun and heat. I had to take photos for work. I wore SPF60 on my face, and a wide-brimmed hat, but I think I may have sweated a lot of it off because it was SO hot out, and didn't reapply in time to prevent damage. Or my capillaries got pissed because of the humidity and were constantly flushed 'open' for hours. I spent 2 hours in a non-air conditioned car as well which also couldn't be avoided AND stupidly took the hat off and exposed my sunscreen-less face for a total of 2 minutes in the blaring sun, and for 30 minutes in the car (I figured I was in shade being inside, and glass protects UV?)

My face is more red than usual, and I'm kicking myself. I end up doing this EVERY summer, no matter how hard I try to prevent it. Either the sunscreen kicks out, or I over-estimate how good the sunscreen is or forget to reapply sooner than later. I used Vanicream SPF60.

Should I have worn makeup over the sunscreen on my face for more protection?

What should I apply to my face to ease the redness/damage?

Is it birth control pills causing the extreme sun sensitivity?

Is all hope lost for any recovery?? I got to a good place in my life, and I mean REALLY good place, more social, successful, etc and my face seemed to settle down after about 1 year. And now I've started the self-loathing cycle again I HATE THE SUMMER!!!

Originally posted by paintbynumbers View Post
    Hey guys,
    Sorry for the barrage of questions. Hopefully you can help!

So here I am with a red, tight-feeling face after spending a day outside in the sun and heat. I had to take photos for work. I wore SPF60 on my face, and a wide-brimmed hat, but I think I may have sweated a lot of it off because it was SO hot out, and didn't reapply in time to prevent damage. Or my capillaries got pissed because of the humidity and were constantly flushed 'open' for hours. I spent 2 hours in a non-air conditioned car as well which also couldn't be avoided AND stupidly took the hat off and exposed my sunscreen-less face for a total of 2 minutes in the blaring sun, and for 30 minutes in the car (I figured I was in shade being inside, and glass protects UV?)

I think you just absorbed a lot of heat. You have to let it dissipate. Glass doesn't protect against all UV, unless it's "UV Glass". Cool bath, cold drinks, nice dark room and a/c.

My face is more red than usual, and I'm kicking myself. I end up doing this EVERY summer, no matter how hard I try to prevent it. Either the sunscreen kicks out, or I over-estimate how good the sunscreen is or forget to reapply sooner than later. I used Vanicream SPF60.

Should I have worn makeup over the sunscreen on my face for more protection?

What should I apply to my face to ease the redness/damage?

Is it birth control pills causing the extreme sun sensitivity?

Is all hope lost for any recovery?? I got to a good place in my life, and I mean REALLY good place, more social, successful, etc and my face seemed to settle down after about 1 year. And now I've started the self-loathing cycle again I HATE THE SUMMER!!!
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Comment

Was there supposed to be a reply?

Comment

Yes! And I typed it out! Where the heck did it go?

I said that you likely absorbed a lot of heat. After all, it's physical -- it has to go somewhere. So the only thing to do, which you've probably done already, is take a cool bath and drink cold drinks. Lie down in peace and quiet in a dark room with a/c.

Oh, look! There's my reply! It got stuck inside your quote bubble -- see the part about UV Glass? right in the middle!
        "It's all illusion anyway."

Comment

Are you sure you don't react to the sunscreen? Personally I can't put any topicals containing chemicals on my face at all. I might as well be sunburned with how red my face would get.
          Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
          Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Comment

Yeah I did absorb a lot of heat Thanks for your answer! I won't rely on car glass any longer.

As for the sunscreen, christine- The vanicream is a purely physical sunscreen which didn't give me irritation when I tested it. It was really greasy though, and didn't hold up well I think because of that.

Comment

Heya

You can buy window tint that helps block UV. I have these on my car windows and it helps alot, but still depend on sunscreen to lessen chances of burning.

What people don't often realise is that UV can also reflect off things onto the skin (like sand at the beach, water etc) and cause photosensitive people like us to burn even if we have a hat on - that's why it is important to re-apply sunscreen frequently if you are outdoors for hours, even if you are wearing a wide-brimmed hat. You could be wearing spf60 but after an hour/1.5hrs it is not protecting your skin anymore.

Here is a range of hats that'll give you added UPF protection:
              http://www.coolibar.com/02214.html

Best, Shantelle
              Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Comment

Thanks shantelle! I definitely will check out that UV tint.

Does anyone know how I can heal this? It's not exactly a burn because i'm not red like a lobster, but my face is more tan (butterfly area) and I'm flushing a lot more easy. I've taken Vit. C 1000mg to try to heal it and was thinking of putting some pure Vit. E oil on my face but I'm not sure if it'll do more harm than good? Not sure if I should wait it out, or try to make it better?? I've been using Avene Thermal Spring Water but doesn't seem to do much right away.

Comment

Working...
                X