severe flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• severe flushing

hey everyone . Just wondering if anyone has any advice on severe flushing? Every night around 12am-2am my face breaks out into a severe heat rash. It usually always starts with the outer right cheek and then spreads throughout my whole cheeks, nose, forehead and ears. It's been doing this for months now and lasts between 5-10 hours every single day.
    I've tried cutting things out of my diet, not laying down to sleep, spending a few days in different locations (away from home), clonidine, remeron, everything. But every night my face, eyes, and ears burn up and stay that way for hours on end. As a result it's become impossible to sleep due to the heat and i'm really struggling to cope with the pain it's causing me. Would love some advice.

thanks for reading

Hi Tarky,

And all this has been depriving your body of some badly needed restorative sleep. You'll soon hear from people who have been coping with similar symptoms, I'm sure.

I know that you will be seeing a dermatologist next month but we have to find a way for you to get some decent sleep in the meantime.

Hang in there, my dear.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Comment

Aside from all the standard advice that might help with flushing and redness - you know, anti-inflammatory diet, lasers, RLT etc etc - more specifically you might try some melatonin a little while before you intend to sleep.

It might help you sleep through it/ diminish the burning a little - it cools the body.

As these things go it's pretty good for you - certainly can do no harm - so worth a shot.

Trying to fatigue the nervous system with sustained, vigorous exercise in the early evening - not too close to bedtime - might help. It will likely bring on a heavy flush too, but it is likely the lesser of two evils (if it works).

Good luck

Comment

The only way i can sleep at night if with a small fan 5" right by my bedside aming directly at my face. unfortunately if i move during the night then the side that is not being hit by the fan will wake me up from the severe flushing/heat on that area. i keep by my pillow a small bottle with water and when woken up by this i start to spray that area with the water until it cools down. yes it wakes me up more but its the only way besides getting up and getting an ice pak which will wake me up more. there are a rare wonderful nights that i dont move and the fan aims great and i sleep straight through the night. but most of the time i am waking up around 4 am but at least i get some sleep not much but better than nothing.

Have you tried taking an allergy medicine like zyrtex at times i take the generic brand from the store and it helps me sleep more soundly. on other nights i take a muscle relaxer i alternate they make me sleepy and at times i can sleep through the flushing or im so sound asleep that i dont move and this helps the fan to continuesly cool off my face and i sleep good.

i can not under any circumstance sleep w/o the fan next to me i have tried with the ceiling fan but no luck the only way is witht the fan next to me on top of a chair so it aims correctly at my face. unfortunately i can only sleep facing up or to my left where the fan is at i cant sleep on my right side and my left arm will start to hurt. but i just have to deal with this at least i get some sleep.

we do the best we can sleep is just so important. i know we are not suppose to have a fan on our face but its the only way for me to sleep.

Good luck i pray you get some rest.

Alba
        using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

Comment

Hi Alba,

I read that you've been doing much better lately and your ears don't flush as severely as they used to. Was it the vitamin d or something else that helped with that?
          I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Comment

Yes dear its the vitamin D3 but unfortunately since i had to reduce the dose since my blood work for vitamin d came back high 126 my symptoms have been trying to come back the swelling on my fingers and the flushing. both had not gone completely but some improvement is so welcome. I just posted here on the forum the below. I just called my rheumatologist to make an appmt to ask him to retest me and if i could go back on the higher dose of the vitamin d3. they told he is is booked for the month and that he is going away also. next appmt middle of august so she said she would give dr. my message and he would call me back. lets see what he says. i pray i dont end feeling all the pain i had b4 the vitamin d3 it has been a God sent for me for my pain and swollen fingers even the flushing as i see now that it really has helped any improvement just a bit is worth so much! see below pls.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...300#post241300

Today, 06:20 PM #1042

Alba

Since June 23, 2010 I had to lower my Vitamin D3 intake since my vitamin d test came back at 126. I went from taking 50,000 to 40,000 a week. Since then I have noticed that my symptoms of aches and some swelling on my fingers have come back a bit for sure not as severe as b/4 vitamin d3 but just enough to feel pain again. I also notice that I have started to flush a bit more again mostly I have noticed at night my right ear wanting to flush again I have to keep it cool more to keep it from flushing severely. Also since then I have not been able to sleep through the night waking up again around 4am flushed I kept thinking it was that I was moving while sleeping and the fan by my bedside was not aimed correct but no matter how I position it I still wake up during the night flushed on either side. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or it has something to do with lowering the vitamin d3. I really was feeling so much better on the 50,000 iu a week yes even during that time my symptoms were wanting to come back but they would go away much faster or not even get to the point of giving me pain.

I really wish I could go back to the 50,000IU a week would it really hurt me that much to have my level up so much? I really want to get retested as I really think the test that came back 126 was incorrect but unfortunately next week I have jury duty but as soon as I can I will go to rheumatologist and ask for a retest.
            Alba
            using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

Comment

Originally posted by tarky View Post
              hey everyone . Just wondering if anyone has any advice on severe flushing? Every night around 12am-2am my face breaks out into a severe heat rash. It usually always starts with the outer right cheek and then spreads throughout my whole cheeks, nose, forehead and ears. It's been doing this for months now and lasts between 5-10 hours every single day.
              I've tried cutting things out of my diet, not laying down to sleep, spending a few days in different locations (away from home), clonidine, remeron, everything. But every night my face, eyes, and ears burn up and stay that way for hours on end. As a result it's become impossible to sleep due to the heat and i'm really struggling to cope with the pain it's causing me. Would love some advice.

thanks for reading
              Tarky,
              Have you tried the chillow? It might help keeping your face cool and allow you to sleep.
              http://www.drugstore.com/search/sear...chillow%20plus

I'm sorry you are dealing with this!

Comment

Originally posted by GJ View Post
                more specifically you might try some melatonin a little while before you intend to sleep.

It might help you sleep through it/ diminish the burning a little - it cools the body.

As these things go it's pretty good for you - certainly can do no harm - so worth a shot.

Trying to fatigue the nervous system with sustained, vigorous exercise in the early evening - not too close to bedtime - might help. It will likely bring on a heavy flush too, but it is likely the lesser of two evils (if it works).
                ok thanks, i haven't tried melatonin, i never knew it cooled the body.

Originally posted by Alba View Post
                The only way i can sleep at night if with a small fan 5" right by my bedside aming directly at my face.
                thanks. i try and sleep with a fan on my face too, but it doesn't seem to help prevent the burning episodes from occurring or give any relief during an attack.

Originally posted by Melissa W View Post
                Tarky,
                Have you tried the chillow? It might help keeping your face cool and allow you to sleep.
                hi melissa, i haven't, but i've been laying on cold wet flannels to help combat the heat. It isn't the most comfortable solution though

Comment

New Site

Hi, I've had Rosacea for the last three years and have now managed to get it under some sort of control. Take a look at www.acnerosacea.co.uk - I found it this week and its a new site. You can ask the experts questions specifically about your condition.

Comment

Last edited by Auburn; 11 July 2010, 12:44 AM.

Comment

So what have you cut out of your diet. If it's every night around the same time what do you usually eat everyday. If it's a reaction that late what do you have for dinner, what do you drink with dinner and what do you have after it?

Comment

Originally posted by JesseC View Post
                        So what have you cut out of your diet. If it's every night around the same time what do you usually eat everyday. If it's a reaction that late what do you have for dinner, what do you drink with dinner and what do you have after it?
                        i haven't really cut anything out, but i eat pretty well. Every night i usually have veges / pasta with either chicken / fish / meat and drink water. I never have desert and i don't usually eat a thing up until i go to bed.

Comment

Well eating healthy is great - especially if it's trying to avoid inflammation (like omega-3s and avoiding sugar), but I wonder if you might want to try eliminating some foods for a couple of weeks. It sounds like a long shot I know but I really achieved a great deal of relief myself from eliminating some pretty common but specific foods. You can read my thread here http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...ad.php?t=21952 It's a pretty easy diet to follow and 2 weeks should tell you if it's working at all. I'd be interested if you have any success should you try it.

Comment

I recommend you get checked for food allergies. I have a corn allergy but it is a delayed response. This makes it very hard to determine exactly what it is you are reacting to. My allergist did a patch test on me and I had a pretty severe reaction to corn. My flushing went away once I stopped eating corn and corn derivatives. I would have never suspected corn! I would not necessarily flush on days I would eat corn, because of the delayed reaction. I could never figure it out on my own. It took seeing an allergy Dr. to do testing.

Comment

how to get rid of pimples

i can not under any circumstance sleep w/o the fan next to me i have tried with the ceiling fan but no luck the only way is witht the fan next to me on top of a chair so it aims correctly at my face. unfortunately i can only sleep facing up or to my left where the fan is at i cant sleep on my right side and my left arm will start to hurt. but i just have to deal with this at least i get some sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X