How important is diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is diet?

I was wondering, how much of an impact does your diet have on Rosacea? I have problems with redness and papules and postules among other symptoms. Redness increases with hot spicy dishes and tomatoe based dishes. My PPs get worse when chocolate or greasy food is consumed. Im interested as to how big a role diet has in the development of Rosacea largely because my doc says that my diet has no influence what so ever.

Very controversial subject

This is a very controversial subject as noted by what your physician told you about diet and rosacea. The odd thing is a significant number of the triggers listed on any 'official' or non official trigger list for rosacea includes diet triggers. That is a quandary now isn't it?

Diet has always been a huge trigger for me. Diet trigger avoidance is one of my main ways to control my rosacea. I also use one topical over the counter treatment. I take a lot of vitamins and minerals and recently increased my daily D3 to see if what they say is true about D3.

To me for someone to say that diet doesn't have anything to do with rosacea is like saying that diet doesn't have anything to do with diabetes or that diet doesn't haven't anything to do with health. Diet plays a major role in rosacea and in over all health.

You will have to carefully write down a diary and keep up with what you are eating and drinking and note what are your triggers. Not everyone has rosacea triggers eating spicy or tomato dishes. Everyone's triggers are different. Any trigger list is simply a list of suggested triggers. There is not one rosacea trigger proposed that is a rosacea trigger for everyone. Learn what your triggers are and trigger avoidance can be one way to control rosacea. There are of course several other ways to control your rosacea than just trigger avoidance. Many rosaceans are more concerned with flushing avoidance than trigger avoidance. Hope this helps.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Hi and welcome to the RF.

Many rosaceans have food triggers that are unique to them and so it is a matter of trial and error to see what might be a trigger for you. Alcohol and spicy foods are 2 of the most popular triggers it seems though not everyone is affected by these (lucky people) but there are other foods that may or may not cause you to flare.

Here is a place to begin:
      http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/ind...tary_Influence

Best wishes,
      Melissa

Comment

Diet is certainly the most important part of controlling rosacea.
        But I think improving digestion, and therefore boosting immune system are maybe the key to cure it.
        You are what you eat, and also what you absorb.
        Physicians saying that diet is not important are just totally wrong, in my humble opinion.
        Listen to yourself, and try to be critic about these advices. Braddy is right, saying rosacea has nothing to do with diet is absurd. Diet has to do with everything, with your overall health, therefore with your skin too, especially in this kind of problem I think.

Comment

Most doctors today generally agree diet influences much of our health- regardless of personal rosacea triggers differing amongst individuals. A good book I recommend is The Clear Skin Diet.
          http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...lear+skin+diet

Comment

Diet is very important,for me..I have problem with milk,red wine,chess and beer,yeast,red meat(pig).niacin in supplements in food its ok.
            No problem with chocolate(black),tomato,nuts,vodka,white wine,turkey itd...
            I eat a lot of green vegetable, fruit(mango,pomegranate,apple),losos,olive oil,nuts(brazilian itd..).
            For supplements i take vitamin C 2000mg,synergistic zinc,Milk Thistle,Fish OIl- Omega 3,Evening Primorose Oil -omega 6.
            I drink a lot of water and green,white tea
            No more cocain and other stimulants like extasy itd..

Comment

Naturally diet is important for overall health as many of you have mentioned, however I

did get too hung up on what I was eating, drinking etc..................

For me personally, apart from drinking a lot of water and avoiding red wine, diet has not

really been the main problem in my rosacea fight!

In the begining I think we all look at everything as a possible cause/trigger, but as this

disease progresses we find our own level of treatments.

J
              SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA SINCE 2002.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
              PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

Comment

Foods don't seem to trigger skin reactions, in my case.

However, nine months ago I decided to substantially increase my intake of animal protein and fats. I also quit eating processed sugar. I feel much better, in general, and my skin seems to have benefited from this, as well. I've also started juicing -80% vegetable, 20% fruit- using a masticating juicer, which helps with digestion.
                I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Comment

http://tiny.cc/8revR

Tympanic temperature (Tty), mean skin temperature (Tsk) and dynamics of sweating were measured in male subjects, performing prolonged, bicycle-exercise. The exercise was performed under thermoneutral environment after the normal-mixed (C) and low-carbohydrate (LCHO) diet. No difference in changes of Tty was observed after the C and LCHO diets. Sweating was triggered much faster after the LCHO diet. The delay in onset and inertia time of sweating was shorter after the LCHO diet. It is concluded that LCHO diet affects the thermoregulatory responses to exercise by acceleration of sweating, without noticeable differences in body temperature
                  An interesting little study. Might we assume that more sweating means less vasodilation is required for cooling?

Comment

spicy

Originally posted by Music Maker View Post
                    I was wondering, how much of an impact does your diet have on Rosacea? I have problems with redness and papules and postules among other symptoms. Redness increases with hot spicy dishes and tomatoe based dishes. My PPs get worse when chocolate or greasy food is consumed. Im interested as to how big a role diet has in the development of Rosacea largely because my doc says that my diet has no influence what so ever.
                    HelloMusic Maker;229057,

Tell me I am curious do you perspire at all at the time of eating when you eat certain types of food.

Comment

Thinking I Caused My Rosacea with Crazy Diet

Originally posted by Music Maker View Post
                      This is hard to admit but maybe it will be helpful to someone out there. I tried a wacky diet..a variant of low carb that is very high fat..I'm talking bacon, heavy cream and butter as staples in 5 small meals of 200 calories each. I lost weight and felt fantastic, and surprisingly my gallbladder stopped hurting and not another minute of indigestion. But that's the good news. The bad news is terrible because I'm pretty sure that this diet gave me rosacea. My skin is medium, not super fair and I've never blushed in my life. I woke up one morning and felt flushed. The flushing came and went for a few days and then turned into what looked like a chemical burn...uneven blotches on both cheeks with some stripes that looked like I'd been slapped with a poisonous branch. It got hot and painful to the point where I shivered from chills and finally ran to the best dermatologist I could find in Boston. They told me it didn't look like rosacea and assumed it was a contact dermatitis and gave me an ointment that made everything worse. I called them back in a panic when my skin swelled and blistered and they put me on doxycycline. Nothing worked. I began to research rosacea and could only agree that whatever I had was not typical, at all. There were no bumps or acne like lesions. Little did I know that was just the beginning. The burning seemed to wax and wane and when it seemed calmer, I went back to the dermatologist for the recommended PDL treatment. Very expensive and very painful..I was swollen and red again for about 10 days. After that began the cycle of burning, swelling, pain and itching and striped appearance. Then it would settle and peel like mad until my face looked raw and smooth. Then a few days of almost normal and the whole thing would start again. During all this, my eyes were hurting and raw..tearing and burning. That was in April. Now it's June and I've read everything I can find and seem to have classic symptoms of a demodex infestation..hives that move around my face,maddening itch, tearing eyes..My diet is now excellent and based on raw veggies,with some fish and lean protein, no sugar or carbs at all and very little dairy. I've cut out alcohol and added zinc, B, D and C vitamins and fish oil. I went to another dermatologist and requested a skin scraping to test for an overgrowth of demodex. She said she didn't do scrapings because you "can't see demodex under a microscope". My mouth fell open at this but I was polite. She told me to stop everything I'm doing and to use "vasoline" for itching. Needless to say, I ran out and disregarded everything she said. Continuing research and experimentation, I'm taking oral Ivermectin, purchased on the internet, and using ZZ cream which I think helps a little and occasionally a spot treatment with Nu-Stock, a veterinary treatment for mange that contains 70% sulphur with a little pine oil in a mineral oil base. I've also found that calamine lotion helps with the terrible itching. After my last and most hideous outbreak of itching boiling hives and burning face and eyes, I took a slightly higher dose of Ivermectin and the itching stopped during the night. The bumps and inflammation got much worse which I am hoping is from a huge die off of demodex and that's where I am now. Keeping my raw skin spotlessly clean with sulpher/2 % permethrin soap and tentative application of zz cream. I am a mess, sad and ashamed of myself. My once perfect skin has aged about 40 years in a few months and I would be very grateful for any advice or even just friendship or support. This feels like a curse.

Comment

@Rubyrose,

I feel for you, been there done so many similar things so I know how you feel. I don't want to keep repeating same info on so many threads but read some of my past posts and you can see almost same symtoms die off demo mites/yeast). I have been mad, ranted, restentful, sad all for the same reasons. I do feel for you and understand. Love & hugs. You are right about the low carb diet. I am doing the same but now helped with a holistic md that knows the symtoms and verfied with medical tests. You are on the road to health but there is no quick fix as it took a while to get this way. Be patient and you will see results. Hugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Samilynn View Post
                          @Rubyrose,

I feel for you, been there done so many similar things so I know how you feel. I don't want to keep repeating same info on so many threads but read some of my past posts and you can see almost same symtoms die off demo mites/yeast). I have been mad, ranted, restentful, sad all for the same reasons. I do feel for you and understand. Love & hugs. You are right about the low carb diet. I am doing the same but now helped with a holistic md that knows the symtoms and verfied with medical tests. You are on the road to health but there is no quick fix as it took a while to get this way. Be patient and you will see results. Hugs.
                          Thanks so much, Samilynn...I'm brand new to this forum but will be sure to read your previous threads. Biggest frustration for me, at the moment, is trying to find a doctor who will believe/understand this condition. Any doctor would do..ophthalmologist, dermatologist, holistic, witch doctor, anything, really. I live in a medical hub and have access to all the great hospitals like Mass General and Beth Israel. And yet, I'm tired of wasting time and money on trying to find a doctor who will treat this. Even if there IS such a doctor, they really can't do more than what we all already know..diet and lifestyle, ZZ cream, Tea Tree oil and so on and on ad nauseum. But if ANYONE has been to a great MD, esp on the East Coast, I would be so grateful for a name. I've been to Skin Physicians..office of the great Jeffrey Dover, and had a sort of helpful PDL treatment by the very sweet Dr. Kim but she admitted to not having a clue what was wrong with me and didn't suggest a scraping or anything beyond laser and doxy. I think they are much more concerned with cosmetic treatments. Now searching for a rosacea clinic..but without much hope.

Comment

@rubyrose, just to let you know the reason I mentioned my posts is not for valuable info but for you to see just how frustrated and angry I have been at the medical/doctor issue think sometimes there are so many sub types and skin disease names you really can get lost. I have 5/6 different (some related to the word delusional) diagnosis from the many different doctors I have seen in the last 8 months, not to mention the many prescriptions I took orally or topically that aggravated or made my symptoms worse. Its easy to get lost in the forest. Hoping you find someone to help you because treating yourself has it's own ups/downs too.

P.S. I was going to PM you the link for the TX doctor I am now using but your a new member and can't PM yet. I posted info on your profile/visitor messages.
                            Last edited by Samilynn; 6 June 2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Samilynn View Post
                              @rubyrose, just to let you know the reason I mentioned my posts is not for valuable info but for you to see just how frustrated and angry I have been at the medical/doctor issue think sometimes there are so many sub types and skin disease names you really can get lost. I have 5/6 different (some related to the word delusional) diagnosis from the many different doctors I have seen in the last 8 months, not to mention the many prescriptions I took orally or topically that aggravated or made my symptoms worse. Its easy to get lost in the forest. Hoping you find someone to help you because treating yourself has it's own ups/downs too.

P.S. I was going to PM you the link for the TX doctor I am now using but your a new member and can't PM yet. I posted info on your profile/visitor messages.
                              Thanks again, Samilynn..you have no idea how much I appreciate that information. I've already spent thousands of dollars on mites..this isn't my first rodeo. Two years ago we had bird mites in our dryer vent and they attacked me like you wouldn't believe. It cost thousands of dollars to professionally kill them with heat and many more thousands for steamers and internet meds I couldn't get by prescription. And yep..delusional parasitosis is a term I know well. Was lucky back then to accidentally find a senior doctor who was familiar with bird mite infestation and he gave me ivermectin. The bites are not that different, except this is my face and impossible to hide...looks like someone splashed acid on me. Going to check out your doctor and, if necessary, go to Texas. But first, I'll buy his book...a million thank yous!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X