Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is rosacea an Autoimmune disorder?

Default Is rosacea an Autoimmune disorder?

Just wondering!

I've got some other health issues that are - like I am hypothyroid, and suffered infertility due to premature ovarian failure (both believed by some to be autoimmune related).

I've also read that rosacea is NOT related to eczema or sun exposure -- but I've had my fair shard of SUNBURN over the years, and I used retin A (skin thinning?) in my teens, AND one of my sons has very severe eczema.

I HAVE read that treating for eczema AND acne can cause or bring about rosacea, especially topical steroids (again, skin thinning).

Again, there seem to be many common variants to the triggers of rosacea and allergies, and other autoimmune overeactions of the body.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Is rosacea an Autoimmune disorder?

Quote Originally Posted by gina9978

Any thoughts?
    Rosacea can be cured by having loads of IPL treatment (Intense Pulsed Light) this is a form of treatment that has been tried by 27% of the world's population and you will find their accurate testimonies here and on Yahoo RS etc.

Just my humble opinion, but I believe Rosacea is some sort of autoimmune disorder, I have other problems like you that tell me I have some sort of autoimmune disorder going on in my body, and my onset of Rosacea this year is part of the big picture if you ask me. Are you from
    New Orleans? Roxanne

I agree - and disagree.

Autoimmune means that your immune system attacks your own body organs (skin is one- this is usually expressed as Lupus or Scleroderma). There are blood tests for autoimmune disease (one of they things my Dr. wisely checked when this first got WAY out of control for me)

I think if Rosacea was an autoimmune condition the symptoms would not be limited to our face.

On the other hand, I think it is definately related to an overactive -overreactive immune system for many of us. This is why so many of us have to watch histamine releasing foods, and why I suspect Demodex play a roll for some of us.

So I can see some overlap with those with autoimmune disorders - - -

My thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by flareface
    Are you from
    New Orleans? Roxanne
    Yes. I am here in New Orleans now. We had evacuated to South Carolina for several weeks.

If you are interested - here's my blog and of course there is a lot of hurricane related stuff there:

http://chicory.blogspot.com

I have a feeling that the pollutants in our air - more mold spores than ever, chemicals, etc. as a result of the storm - are not helping my FACE!

Quote Originally Posted by Felix

Any thoughts?
    Rosacea can be cured by having loads of IPL treatment (Intense Pulsed Light) this is a form of treatment that has been tried by 27% of the world's population and you will find their accurate testimonies here and on Yahoo RS etc.

What other disorders do you have to deal with on a day-to-day basis?
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

nice smiley, david.

i believe that you are a fan of something called LED therapy? LEDs are indeed clever little things.

i am baffled, what is the difference between red light from a red LED and red light from a red light bulb?

btw - thanks for the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix

Any thoughts?
    Wow, that was some quick editing Felix. No flies on you is their mate, lol. Must be those cat like reflexes.

BB

i work on the assumption that you are like whippet out of the stalls, bob. editing is merely for cosmetic purposes.

I have eyes and ears every where Felix, comes with the territory

BB