Thread: selenium

Default selenium

Does anyone have experience with selenium? I began taking selenium two months ago (for my joints). My rosacea is now a lot better and adding selenium is the only change I have done.

Selenium is an anti-inflammatory antioxidant, which probably explains the positive effect. A slightly higher intake than recommended is likely beneficial but very large doses can be toxic, so be a little careful.

/JR

I've taken it for years. Hasn't done anything for my rosacea, though.

Anyone else have success taking Selenium?
    Doug

It hasn't done anything for my condition, which is basically just extreme flushing that may or may not be rosacea depending on who you ask, accompanied by some possible indicators of infectious or autoimmune activity in my bloodwork. I don't take a supplement, but I eat a small bag of brazil nuts per week because they have a huge amount of selenium in them -- like 135% of the RDA in one 5g nut. Having a high omega 6:3 ratio can be pro-inflammatory, so I try to eat only a few brazil nuts a day to get the selenium while still keeping the ratio low.