Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone tried camphor oil?

Default anyone tried camphor oil?

and if so did it improve your rosacea?

it gets rid of demodex put they didnt study rosacea

J Egypt Soc Parasitol. 2002 Dec;32(3):797-803. Related Articles, Links

Eucalyptus globulus (camphor oil) in the treatment of human demodicidosis.

Morsy TA, Morsy GH, Sanad EM.

Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11566, Egypt. morsy2000@hotmail.com

Demodex folliculorum (Follicular or Demodicid mite) is a zoonotic obligatory parasite with clinical manifestations range from normal infestation to complicated ones. Treatment of human facial demodicidosis with freshly prepared camphor oil with or without glycerol dilutions gave complete cure with concentrations of 100%, 75%. and 50%. Incomplete cure but marked drop in infestation density was achieved with diluted camphor oil at concentrations of 25-20%. Camphor oil application proved to be safe with no side effects.

This user has been banned from this forum

Default Re: anyone tried camphor oil?

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwall
    and if so did it improve your rosacea?

it gets rid of demodex put they didnt study rosacea

J Egypt Soc Parasitol. 2002 Dec;32(3):797-803. Related Articles, Links

Eucalyptus globulus (camphor oil) in the treatment of human demodicidosis.

Morsy TA, Morsy GH, Sanad EM.

Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11566, Egypt. morsy2000@hotmail.com

Demodex folliculorum (Follicular or Demodicid mite) is a zoonotic obligatory parasite with clinical manifestations range from normal infestation to complicated ones. Treatment of human facial demodicidosis with freshly prepared camphor oil with or without glycerol dilutions gave complete cure with concentrations of 100%, 75%. and 50%. Incomplete cure but marked drop in infestation density was achieved with diluted camphor oil at concentrations of 25-20%. Camphor oil application proved to be safe with no side effects.

Hi Wonderwall,

It is generally stated that any topical product with camphor, eucalyptus, and menthol are not suitable for most rosacea sufferers. As always there are exceptions, but be careful because you can go out to the drugstore and but camphor oil OTC.

You recently said that in rhinophyma, demodex is common. What about using this just once to kill those nasty mites, then washing it off? Any harm in that? I just can't stand the thought of possibly having those things on my face. Do they ever live on the eyelids, or just oily areas?

Quote Originally Posted by irishgenes
    You recently said that in rhinophyma, demodex is common. What about using this just once to kill those nasty mites, then washing it off? Any harm in that? I just can't stand the thought of possibly having those things on my face. Do they ever live on the eyelids, or just oily areas?

Hi IrishGenes,

OTC anti-demodex stuff is way out of my field -- I would PM Brady about this.

Just some thoughts. Every single person on the face of this planet has mites on their faces. This is natural. The sebaceous glands are a natural habitat for dozens of microorganisms that one would never want to see under the microscope -- things with pincers and jaws and teeth (ok no teeth).

It is my understanding that the only drug that can kill demodex mites in all stages back to the egg stage and larvae stage is oral ivermectin. Topicals, even prescription have to be used for quite some time to get all generations, so I would think that camphor would need to be used long term, like the 90 days that the face doctor and other OTC;s recommend. I am just speculating thought and would hand this one over to the resident expert, Brady.

Default Demodex Mites

Quote Originally Posted by drnase
    Quote Originally Posted by irishgenes

Hi IrishGenes,

OTC anti-demodex stuff is way out of my field -- I would PM Brady about this.

Just some thoughts. Every single person on the face of this planet has mites on their faces. This is natural. The sebaceous glands are a natural habitat for dozens of microorganisms that one would never want to see under the microscope -- things with pincers and jaws and teeth (ok no teeth).

It is my understanding that the only drug that can kill demodex mites in all stages back to the egg stage and larvae stage is oral ivermectin. Topicals, even prescription have to be used for quite some time to get all generations, so I would think that camphor would need to be used long term, like the 90 days that the face doctor and other OTC;s recommend. I am just speculating thought and would hand this one over to the resident expert, Brady.
    Irishgenes and Geoffrey,

First off Irishgenes, I want to clear up that I am not an expert on demodex any more than an expert on rosacea. I just write a lot of prolific posts on the subject. Now that that is cleared up, you should know first off that demodex mites are on EVERYONE'S face and body. All you do is take a skin scraping and look under a microscope and there they are. They are on and in your carpet, in your bed, and just about everywhere. Thinking that demodex mites are evil is like thinking that bacteria is all evil. They actually perform some good things.

Whether demodex mites is the cause of rosacea or what role the demodex mites play in rosacea is not fully understood and is the subject of endless debates and personally I don't care if they are involved in rosacea or not. I just love to write about the subject. What I do know is that I have written an editorial on the subject at this url >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/demodex.html

There are a number of rosaceans who have reported success using the Z cream for rosacea. Demodex Solutions claims that this is due to killing mites. I don't know and I don't care. It works. I remember that when i got my first tube of Metrogel I asked he doc how does this stuff work. His response? He said, 'We don't know." I asked the doc why tetracycline works? He said, 'We don't know, it just works.' I am telling you that the Z cream just works. It clears up rosacea. That is good enough for most people including docs who don't know either. They just prescribe prescriptions and go on to the next patient.

You can read all about how many are reporting that the Z cream controls rosacea at this url >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/z2.html

I have written an editorial on Ivermectin at this url >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/ivermectin.html

I am not an expert on Ivermectin either, just a writer on the subject. My thought is that taking a drug to kill mites would also include killing the mites all over my body. These mites are there for a purpose. I just want to treat my face. I think that taking Ivermectin is like dropping a bomb on a house simply because one room has a problem? Why not just fix the room with the problem. But you can decide for yourself what you think is best. That is the beauty of patient's rights. You can either choose to accept the treatment a physician offers or decline it. You will need a prescription for Ivermectin. Demodex Solutions says that killing the mites with ivermectin won't eliminate the babies who are in the egg stage. I haven't a clue if that is true or not. I really don't care, because like I said, whether it is the mites or not, the Z cream works. That's good enough for many people. The reports are continuing to come in since many are trying the Z cream which is now one more arsenal to use against the rosacea beast.

And thanks Geoffrey for the nod. I think you know more on this subject than I do and your graciousness is noted as well as your modesty.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thank you Brady. What is the rough time frame for treatment with the z cream and is there a maintenance treatment?

Thanks.

Default Z cream treatment and maintenance

Thank you Brady. What is the rough time frame for treatment with the z cream and is there a maintenance treatment?

Thanks.
    Geoffrey,
    Roughly anywhere from one month to three months to see improvement. Usually three months is required. Maintenance is required. Like two or three applications a week after the initial phase of treatment of daily maintenance.
    There are, of course, exceptions. I have had two reports that it didn't help. But many are reporting success.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default Re: Z cream treatment and maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows

Thanks.
    Geoffrey,
    Roughly anywhere from one month to three months to see improvement. Usually three months is required. Maintenance is required. Like two or three applications a week after the initial phase of treatment of daily maintenance.
    There are, of course, exceptions. I have had two reports that it didn't help. But many are reporting success.

Thanks Brady,

In an ever expanding evolutionary Jeff Nase, I actually tried this cream. Walter was kind enough to send me out some free jars to try. I certainly did not give it long enough because the peppermint or menthol derivative made my eyes water so badly, but they always do to this ingredient. I thought it might be helpful to mention this to walter to see if they can tweak the formula, but I am now under the impression that this might also be helpful to the erradication of demodex.

I tried putting it on before bed and just let my eyes close, but I am such an insomniac that I usually end up getting up and start typing again and then I cant see the keyboard.

Brady, does Walter have enough pull to suggest this? Maybe its just me.

Default Re: Z cream treatment and maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows

Thanks.
    Thanks Brady,

In an ever expanding evolutionary Jeff Nase, I actually tried this cream. Walter was kind enough to send me out some free jars to try. I certainly did not give it long enough because the peppermint or menthol derivative made my eyes water so badly, but they always do to this ingredient. I thought it might be helpful to mention this to walter to see if they can tweak the formula, but I am now under the impression that this might also be helpful to the erradication of demodex.

I tried putting it on before bed and just let my eyes close, but I am such an insomniac that I usually end up getting up and start typing again and then I cant see the keyboard.

Brady, does Walter have enough pull to suggest this? Maybe its just me.
    Geoffrey,
    Geoffrey,
    I am impressed you tried it. Yes, the tearing is one of the side effects. Dry skin is the second most frequent complaint. I doubt if Walter can have that done since he is not the manufacturer. The insert in the package with the jar gives a url for the pharmaceutical company but I found it didn't work. I did find a link but it is inactive now. When the link was active I downloaded photos of the factory:

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/z.html

The address of the company is included in the package.

The current list of ingredients are the following:

Zinc oxide 7.1%
    Sublimed sulfur 7.1%
    Mint (Herba menthae) 2%
    Boric acid 2%
    salicylic acid 0.5%
    Dimethiconum Composite
    Java brucea
    And 2 more herbs which are a secret..
    no steroids, no hormones, no pesticides, no antibiotics etc.

I actually tried to find out about importing this to the USA and contacted the FDA who said it would probably be stopped at the border by customs. I discussed this with a customs broker who told me that I didn't have enough money. So Walter can send them individually in small packages and somehow it gets past customs. I don't know how long all this will continue to last, but for now it works.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Does not look like a restricted product to me? :o