Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olive oil on skin

Default Olive oil on skin

Anyone tried it?
    Any reason why it shouldnt work as a cheap and good moisturizer?

I've been using olive oil infused with chamomile and calendula as a moisturizer for a couple of months now, and I don't think my skin has ever looked better. I have mild facial redness, some broken blood vessels, and moderate acne. The redness and acne have been lessened since I've been using olive oil as a moisturizer. The oil can look shiny if I put on too much though. But usually I apply tinted zinco on top which helps with the shine. I'll take a shiny glow over pimples and redness any day!

Olive oil works well on my face, too. An added benefit is that it helps with seb derm--softens the skin enough to remove the scales with less irritation. On top of that, it seems to have reduced the number of blackheads--probably because my skin is better exfoliated, as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Strive
    Olive oil works well on my face, too. An added benefit is that it helps with seb derm--softens the skin enough to remove the scales with less irritation. On top of that, it seems to have reduced the number of blackheads--probably because my skin is better exfoliated, as a result.
    Indeed. I would advice everyone to at least give it a shot. After all, it is dirt cheap and very, very few will get an allergic reaction. Go for the most expensive type, extra virgin in dark glass bottles.

An olive oil soap without fragrance or dyes is all I can use on my face. I don't have any desire to put actual olive oil on my face, though, as I have more than enough sebum as is. I wonder at all the people who seem to feel they need moisturizers on their faces. Is this something that cosmetic companies have convinced you you need, or do you really have dry skin? I would love to experience dry skin for a change instead of an oil slick.

Default OLIVE OIL ON SKIN

Does anyone know if you can also use olive oil to remove eye makeup? I have always used baby oil as an eye makeup remover and would think that olive oil might work the same.

My face hurts if I don't put moisturizer on it soon after washing it in the shower or just washing it. It's jsut that dry. I can feel it cracking.

What is this olive based cleanser?
    *Avoiding triggers is like trying to dodge raindrops in a monsoon.*

My Blog - http://rosaceablog.moonfruit.com/

Bonnie, I'm sure it would remove eye make-up. I used to use vaseline. Are you talking about the olive oil soap, Kelli? There are several brands. Kiss My Face makes one, but most of theirs have fragrance. I use Aptera from Greece because it is as pure and simple as it gets. http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/19093 Nearly everything else stings my face.

irishgenes,

I always used to avoid any sort of moisturizer because I was afraid it would make my very oily skin worse, but for whatever reason, I noticed a decrease in the amount of oil that I produce as a result of moisturizing with the right stuff.

Perhaps my skin doesn't "feel" that it needs to put out all that sebum if it's adequately moisturized in the first place.

Hard to say if your skin would respond in the same way, though.

Hi Strive & Irishgenes,

I've had the same delima w/oily skin and came to the same conclusion as strive - it seems like super oily skin is overcompensating so cleansing is very important but alot of cleansers strip and make it more oily. Applying something, moisturiser or topical treatment, after cleansing seems to keep my face from kicking into oil overdrive to compensate for the oil removed from cleaning. One thing for me however, is waiting 1-3 min. before applying so the skin isn't damp. It's a wierd little dance I have to do, don't apply too soon or too late. I'm interested to try the olive oil tho...

Karla