Thread: Melatonin sleep aid causing flare-up?

Default Melatonin sleep aid causing flare-up?

Well, for a week or two my skin's been doing pretty good, but a couple of days ago it took a turn for the worst again and today my face is swollen up in various places (consequently pores look even huger than normal), redness is about 120% worse than last week, and I'm having some (relatively minor but still annoying) patches of dry skin pop up. Plus the whole thing just looks gross in general - bumpy, inconsistent in texture, dead and dull looking.

So looking at when it went fruit-shaped again, the big culprit I come up with is a supplement I took for awhile (coincidentally, or not) right around the time that my skin got so bad I first realized I had rosacea. I had stopped taking it for awhile because I actually thought I was out, but then a few nights ago I was having trouble sleeping and rooted around in my nightstand and found a few more. So I took one that night and two last night (I was REALLY having trouble sleeping).

What I take is MidNite, which contains these ingredients: Lemon Balm, Lavender, Chamomile and Melatonin.

It seems almost impossible to me that one or more of these could be having a negative effect on my skin, but, well...could they?

As is almost always the case, I can't say that nothing else was different the last few days - I took 20-30 minute walks after work (in warm, not hot weather), a few minor dietary differences, etc. It's just that I can't ignore the correlation, both past and present, between taking these pills and big skin problems.

Anyone have anything similar to report, or any other insight?

I haven't tried MidNite and I have never taken Melatonin. So, I don't have a direct experience for you. However, I can tell you that I pay attention to the way things effect me especially if it's the first time eating/taking it. If you have a gut feeling that this is related, regardless of what other's experiences are, then you are probably right. So, eliminate it!

My face was looking SO good about a month ago. I had gotten my redness under control and finally rid myself of p&p's. It was an uphill battle this summer because of the hot, humid weather we've been having. I went to dinner and ordered a meal that sent my face into a tizzy (chicken gorgonzola). I didn't want to be the high-maintenance one at the table (this time) so I picked the best looking option as everything else had spicy sauces, etc. Usually, I make special requests or even just order plain rice/potatoes with plain chicken, etc. So as a result of not wanting to be "that one", I suffered for three miserable days with the worst flare that I have had in a very long time and am just getting over the p&p's that developed because of it. I am back to making special requests at dinner and have gotten over caring what everyone else thinks. Well, anyone who i would go to dinner with already knows the deal so they don't care. Sometimes, you just want to be normal!

That all said, add it to your growing list of things to avoid. I just added chicken gorgonzola!
    Mild Subtype 2
    Metrocream 2x/day until 8/2010
    Over the counter Prosacea....this dries out my p&p's when all else fails.
    Dermalogica's Sensitized Line
    Sunscreen: Clinique's City Block
    VBeam: 9 joules/cm2@ 10ms pulse duration
    Plaquenil 400mg/day

From time to time very clever sorts will actually recommend melatonin as a possible means of battling evening flushes: one of its actions is to bring down the body's core temperature. It has helped me, just a little, in the past.

That's not to say that melatonin is definitely not to blame, of course. You might be peculiar..etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by GJ View Post
    From time to time very clever sorts will actually recommend melatonin as a possible means of battling evening flushes: one of its actions is to bring down the body's core temperature. It has helped me, just a little, in the past.

That's not to say that melatonin is definitely not to blame, of course. You might be peculiar..etc etc
    Well, the fact that I'm peculiar is established fact . Seriously, I do tend to have an opposite reaction than most people to a lot of meds and such.

windsor 90 - I think you're right, my only real choice is to eliminate it. Sorry about your chicken gorgonzola episode - hope it was at least tasty. Myself, I'm dying for some chicken tikka masala (it's hot here today and nothing makes me crave spicy food like hot weather), but I just can't risk it right now. Dinner for me looks like it's going to be a flax seed waffle and a couple of scrambled eggs. I'm so excited.

i think that may be linked cus i notice i am more prone to flush after lunch and melatonin is high at that time of the day.

Hello guys!

I have trouble sleeping too, at least going to be b4 12 am so I want to try Melatonin, but I'm afraid it might make me breakout
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Quote Originally Posted by Erikson View Post
    Hello guys!

I have trouble sleeping too, at least going to be b4 12 am so I want to try Melatonin, but I'm afraid it might make me breakout
    Unfortunately, I still have no reason to believe that the melatonin-containing pill I was taking wasn't a trigger, but then I can't say for sure that it was, either. My skin hasn't flared up like I was complaining about in the OP since I stopped taking it, but I'm trying some new things that might be totally responsible for the improvement.

And, of course, everyone seems to have different things they respond badly too.

My advice would be to try a melatonin pill (it really does help with sleep) but find one with as few other ingredients as possible - no herbs or anything like that - and try it on a night when you don't have to be anywhere the next day.

Hopefully, you will not react like I suspect I did to it.

Good luck!

Thanks Chatreuse!!

I found one that has few ingredients

Metrogel 1%
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Default Melatonin

Melatonin is a great thing for myself. Produces lucid like dreams that make me wake up so totally reset.

For rosacea, mental health, and overall sleep quality I highly recommend giving Melatonin a try... love the stuff... 1-3 grams is a dose...

Get ready for dreams to ponder on.

Quote Originally Posted by solutionquest View Post
    Melatonin is a great thing for myself. Produces lucid like dreams that make me wake up so totally reset.

For rosacea, mental health, and overall sleep quality I highly recommend giving Melatonin a try... love the stuff... 1-3 grams is a dose...

Get ready for dreams to ponder on.
    That's great! I tried it once but now I'm taking ORACEA again a night and I don't take anything else because u have to take it in a empty stomach.

Metrogel 1%
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Probiotic 60 Billion