Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis without oily skin?

Default Seborrheic Dermatitis without oily skin?

i suffer from mild rosacea mainly flushing etc. Recently over my forehead side burn and beard areas( no beard though as i am female) i became first itchy then dry, the patches also seemed inflamed and quite scaly...iv seen eczema before and it doesnt seem like that its way too itchy and the patches are agrevated and burn up to easily, the redness is quite defined on the hairline and sideburn area.

anyway my question is..can you have seb derm without having oily skin. my skin isnt oily in the slightest and never has been. iv recently been having IPL which iv had in the past with no reaction like this plus it wasnt done on my forehead which is where the seb derm started.

everything iv looked at for seb derm mentions oily skin and how to treat it, i dont have oily skin and i was just wondering can anyone give me advice on how to treat this

P.s i didnt self diagnose i was informed by my Dr it was seb derm and currently using hyrdocortisone cream.

any help appreciated

Thanks Sam

Hi Sam,

The hyrdocortisone will make things worse in the (not too) long run. If you've been applying it daily, start using less and wean off over a week or so; quitting right away could trigger a flare.

You can have seb derm with dry skin. This is a chronic condition and there's no cure for it but it can be controlled. Follow the link in my signature to learn about a good natural treatment for it, which will also help restore the skin barrier.

HTH
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

i have only been using it for two and a half days and was only planning on using it for five days as was recommended to me.. i was told it will do no harm if i only use it for a week or so. i was wondering why people are so against it?

I have read your posts about the honey and i am thinking about trying it as anything natural surely cant harm? but will it do anything as i have dry skin not oily

thanks sam

Quote Originally Posted by downtown View Post

i was told it will do no harm if i only use it for a week or so. i was wondering why people are so against it?
    Steroid creams do not help seb derm. They are a palliative, something that makes the symptoms go away for a while but does not treat the cause. Steroids are immunosuppressants, that's why they help with inflammation. However, you gain nothing bringing the inflammation down if the agent causing the inflammation is left intact.

Seb derm is caused by a fungus. To combat this fungus you need an antifungal.

Prescribing steroid creams to treat seb derm is just as useful as prescribing an analgesic to treat an infected tooth.

I have read your posts about the honey and i am thinking about trying it as anything natural surely cant harm? but will it do anything as i have dry skin not oily
    The enzymes in the honey will fight the fungus effectively, yes. Please be sure to read the primer and accompanying FAQ before you start the raw honey masks (scroll up to see the primer).
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

i was looking for raw honey online and came across a green bay one and it said raw honey 14+ active... is that ok to use? also i read your Faq but i cant seem to find how much to actually use?
    thanks sam

i was looking for raw honey online and came across a green bay one and it said raw honey 14+ active... is that ok to use?
    Use any kind of raw honey.

also i read your Faq but i cant seem to find how much to actually use?
    From the primer: For face and scalp, start with two dripping teaspoons (meaning, measure generously) of raw honey mixed with less than a teaspoon of water (hopefully that's about 10%). Mixing the honey with water is necessary, please don't skip this step as applying raw honey undiluted is not as effective.

Default Re: Seb dermatitis with dry skin

Hi Downtown,

I too, have had normal to dry skin for most of my life and have had Rosacea type 1 with Seborrheic dermatitis since age 31. Even though the term "seborrheic dermatitis" implies inflammation of the sebaceous glands, you can have it with normal or dry skin.

I see a lot of Rosaceans seem to have oily skin with their Rosacea, but that is not true with me.

I have used low dose hydrocortisone cream 1%, Promiseb for my skin.

A lot of people on this forum have tried the raw honey mask every other night.
    You may want to try it, because a LOT of people have had really good success!

Wishing you the best,

hi jasmine

what sort of results did you see with the hydrocortisone? i used it on a test patch area for a week and the itch went and it faded but went back to being itchy and red when i stopped lol i was using daktacort which is an antifungal aswell.

i started the honey treatment on saturday but to be honest i dont think its any good for my skin the day after using it my skin is horribly red and the texture is awful ....during the first night after using it laying on either side of my face it felt prickly and itchy :S and i found it hard to sleep. i have only used it three times yet the patches have grown and are redder and more rough and flaky i know some people say it gets worse before it gets better..but would it really get that bad..i dont really understand the science behind it haha.

have you tried many things?

i read alot on here but with alot of it being aimed at people with oily skin im not sure half the topicals and medications would work for me,

thanks for your reply sam

i dont really understand the science behind it.
    Figuratively speaking, your skin/scalp is a battleground between enzymes (good guys) and fungi (bad guys). The enzymes will win the battle, if you don't stop the treatment.

it was ment to be my honey treatment night last night but an hour or two after getting from in work my face had swollen completely i went straight to the docs and they gave me antihistimines which i havnt taken yet because i think they think i have an allergy they even said put e45 on my face for the dryness...when she said that i sort of knew she didnt really know what she was looking at. the honey seems to be making it ten times worse but i am willing to stick to it to see if