Thread: make-up to hide flushing/redness

Default make-up to hide flushing/redness

Hi all,

I was wondering what others have used to hide the redness of rosacea, especially during a flush. I was using Sunforgettable, ideal shade, but it didn't seem to hide the red very well.

I do like it as a make-up, love the fact it has SPF 30 but I also noticed it has the bismuth ingredient that is not good for rosacea.

I recently switched to Jane Iredale, pressed powder mineral make-up (lower SPF but bismuth free) It was recommended I get Bisque , more yellow undertones to hide redness.

I tried it this past weekend, seems to agree w/ my skin. Jury is still out if this is the right shade, it kind of makes me look a little pale (not in a good way) I suppose I could add a bronzer for summer to give it more color.

It covered pretty good until I had my usual afternoon flush, then the redness came out like it always does. I am reluctant to to do a touch-up when I get a flush - sure, I could hide the redness but the texture of my skin becomes awful and that is when it is the oiliest - it looks inflamed, bumps start coming out, lines show up, pores look huge...very ugly! I just don't know if make-up is going to make it look any better or if it will just look like so obvious that I am covering an inflamed mess. Also, it seems anything I put on my face during a flush tends to make it worse. I have gently blotted my face w/ a tissue to try to alleviate the oiliness and even just touching my face w/ a tissue seems to make it look more flushed. I could only imagine what a make-up brush or sponge would do if I tried to touch it on my face when I'm in a full flare.

I usually like to apply my make-up once a day, in the AM, I rarely touch up. I am just not thrilled about the idea of having to constantly touch up my make-up, I'm just too busy half the time to do that. I am also trying to keep the application as light as possible, while still covering the red. I do not want to wear foundation that looks heavy as I think it just makes the skin look worse IMO. Is there a way I could touch up during a flare without my face looking worse or irritating the skin?

Has anyone had good luck with concealing redness during a flush without it looking overly made-up? Is there a technique I can try when I apply it the AM to cover the redness during a flush? I know there isn't much I can about the texture but it would be nice to at least not have the red come through my make-up in the afternoon. Am I just doomed to have very bumpy, red skin during a flush, regardless of my make-up and attempt to hide it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Hi Aklady,
    That's a tough one. I have yet to find something that covers a bad flush/flare.
    I find that when I am having a bad flush I am better off taking off all my makeup and moisturising and allowing my face to calm down before reapplying. I use dermablend and have found it to be the best of all of them for me so far.

Many people here have had success with mineral makeup so perhaps they will chime in. I find that most makeups just make my skin too dry but I will admit I don't have the patience to be trying all different types of makeup especially since I prefer wearing as little (makeup that is ) as possible. Dermablend allows me to cover the areas I want to and leave the other areas untouched.

Another possibility is Microskin. I watched the episode on Dr Oz that Sim Skin kindly informed us about and I found it fascinating. I am not sure if it can cover through a full on flush but it looks to be promising.

Good luck and let us know what you find works best for you.

Best,
    Melissa

Thanks Melissa,

I think I am asking the impossible, trying to cover redness during a flare. There is just no hiding it!

I'm with you on about wearing the least amount of make-up possible. Actually, I'm going to try to just not wear any make-up at all on the days I don't work. I did that yesterday as it was pretty cloudy all day and I wasn't out long, I have to say it was liberating to just walk around with a bare face Yes, my face was splotchy, all the flaws and redness out there for everyone to see but I went about my business(shopping, etc) and just didn't concern myself with what I looked like. If anyone looked at me, I wouldn't have known, I wasn't paying attention.

Also, the days I do wear it for work, I wash it off right when I get home. This does help when I have a flare. My make-up pretty much has deteriorated by the afternoon anyway and starts looking funky when my face starts to get really oily. I think the less things on the face to cause irritation, the better, so the make-up comes off ASAP!

I have heard of Microskin, it looks promising but I think I'm a long way off from being able to afford it.

On a good note, no flare today!!

Default You go girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aklady09 View Post
    Thanks Melissa,

I think I am asking the impossible, trying to cover redness during a flare. There is just no hiding it!

I'm with you on about wearing the least amount of make-up possible. Actually, I'm going to try to just not wear any make-up at all on the days I don't work. I did that yesterday as it was pretty cloudy all day and I wasn't out long, I have to say it was liberating to just walk around with a bare face Yes, my face was splotchy, all the flaws and redness out there for everyone to see but I went about my business(shopping, etc) and just didn't concern myself with what I looked like. If anyone looked at me, I wouldn't have known, I wasn't paying attention.

Also, the days I do wear it for work, I wash it off right when I get home. This does help when I have a flare. My make-up pretty much has deteriorated by the afternoon anyway and starts looking funky when my face starts to get really oily. I think the less things on the face to cause irritation, the better, so the make-up comes off ASAP!

I have heard of Microskin, it looks promising but I think I'm a long way off from being able to afford it.

On a good note, no flare today!!
    I totally agree with you. I have stopped wearing makeup when running errands (and I never wear it when I am home anyway) and it truly is liberating. I feel powerful somehow, that I am not letting the conventions of bourgeois society influence me ;)

Glad you are having a good run right now. Fingers crossed it continues!

Hi Aklady-

I just got Jane Iredale in Bisque too. I think the formula is lovely, great finish...but unfortunately it's a bit too yellow and dark for me.

I'm an artist by trade so it's nothing of me to mix a couple colors. I combine Everyday Minerals Olive Fair and Sandy Fair to closely match my mutt fair yellow, olive, and beige skin.

I think nothing surpasses mineral makeup to hide a flush. Or at least reduce it...In the past, I was embarrassed to try to "white it out" with thicker foundations and concealers. It would always cake up and be so obvious around my flakes. Not to mention one doesn't want to appear so white you look dead!

The discovery of color correctors has been instrumental in helping me to "naturally" diminish the appearance of flushing.

EM sells Mint (green). A light dusting of this in flushing zones, followed by the normal foundation color accomplishes what would normally take layers upon layers of liquid.

Some prefer to use yellow corrector, but I usually reserve that for my purplish lids and undereye circles.

Jane Iredale has some extremely informative videos on how to do Mineral Makeup, and a heavier coverage technique for Rosacea (use water in place of their sprays).

Since skin heats up during a flush, for some that means more oil production and liquid melting or minerals getting blotchy. Using a primer underneath makeup (I find Bare Minerals PrimeTime tolerable, though it has a tendency to flake), helps to keep makeup in place, as well as calm flushing by adding a protective silicone layer.

Lightly misting your face with mineral water (like Avene or La Roche Posay) when you're done, helps to set makeup and meld it with skin. Doing it again later in the day will rehydrate and freshen the minerals.

I hope this helps-
    Kristen
    Last edited by banshee; 21st April 2010 at 12:06 PM.
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utķliŽ (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantiŽ (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."