Thread: Red spots on nose?

Default Red spots on nose?

Hi everyone,

Great to have found this site. Recently, i've noticed i've been getting tiny red spots on the nose. They come and go but i noticed they never get big but just a red dot. Most of the time, there's a tiny pin sized whitehead in the middle but unlike acne, it never grows to be a whitehead. Just stays that small pinsized size and thats it. Could this be rosacea? Any other symptom i should pay attention to which might validate it as one?

Also, 3 months ago in early Nov, i started with a few bumps on the forehead. Since then, i've had blotchy rashy bumps on the forehead and my derm says its Seborrheic Dermatitis. I also get the red at the side of the nose.

As for the red spots on my nose with the pinsized whiteheads, i sometimes get that on the forehead too and on the cheeks. And when they come on the cheeks, there is some itching.

My derm is confident that it is SD but i just want to make sure with you guys. Rosacea seems to get worse if untreated so i'm hoping the spots are part of my SD and not Rosacea or else i guess i'm trying to treat it wrong. Looking for some input. Thanks everyone!

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Geyser View Post
    Just stays that small pinsized size and thats it.
    Do they look like these?:

If so, they are called milia. For more info follow this link: http://www.skinsight.com/teen/milia.htm

Since then, i've had blotchy rashy bumps on the forehead and my derm says its Seborrheic Dermatitis. I also get the red at the side of the nose.
    Do you have white flakes on those areas? Dandruff or itchy scalp?
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Hi Auburn,

No, they don't look like that at all. They look like a really tiny pimple basically. Red, slightly raised (but not even raised to the point of a millimeter so its very minimal) and the center has a pinsized whitehead. Around the whitehead is just red.

The redness on the side of my nose is definitely SD. Flakey, scaly, and oily.

The forehead, well...it feels scaly, is oily, but flakes....not really. I do have an itchy scalp from time to time, but no dandruff.

This all started 3 months ago and i use to have a smooth clear forehead. Now i've been dealing with this for the past 3 months and it is very frustrating to say the least.

Hi Geyser,

These red spots on your nose that come and go, how often do you get them and how long does it take for them to go away? Are they hard and dry?
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Hi Ernie,

Welcome to the Forum!! Nice to chat with you on acne.org and here. Both are good sites to browse and exchange information.

In my opinion, I think you have SD for the most part. I think you can keep it under control with the Nizoral and gentle exfoliation and by moisterising with an oil free moisteriser or serum. When the weather changes, less cold and fierce, you may also see a decrease in symptoms. Also, like you are doing seeing your MD/Dermatologist from time to time to check in. Change up skin care/topicals as necessary.

Chat with ya soon!

Yvette

These are exactly what I have!
    They are tiny red dots that looks slightly inflamed and the centre is a tiny white dot. I can scrape out the white part with my fingernails but that causes even more redness (I only get them on my nose).
    I also have very large pores all over my nose.

I have no idea how to treat them
    Originally I thought they were just clogged pores and tried exfoliation, but I think that just makes them worse. They are so frustrating to deal with and nothing really seems to get rid of them.
    IPL and RLT has helped with my flushing, but these spot looking things are very stubborn and seem to form very quickly.

The more I look at them the more I think that they must be clogged pores because they only seem to form on the areas where I have such large open pores. I think the problem is that having Rosacea makes treating them very difficult because anything that exfoliates my skin really aggravates the Rosacea.

Things were much simpler when I only had to worry about flushing.

thank you for posting, Geyser - these sound like the tiny "pimples" i sometimes get on my nose. along with the redness of my nose they're what i consider my main problem (i have some broken capillaries on my cheeks too, but they don't distress me too much). i haven't been able to figure out what triggers them - they just seem to crop up (usually six or seven at a time) every few weeks. their favourite area is the very tip of my nose, where they're sure they're really noticeable!

tetralysal seemed to keep them at bay at first, but i was on it for something like eight months and obviously can't stay on it forever; and anyway the tiny zits seemed to be getting resistant to it. metronidazol cream doesn't seem to help really, but i use it regularly anyway and maybe it's keeping things more under control than i think it is ... before the tetralysal i'd had a couple of IPL treatments, which maybe sort of helped a bit, but only short term. and now it seems like whatever one dermatologist suggests, someone else says is a really bad idea, so ... i'm confused!

dora

ps: naturaltreatments, i couldn't coax the link you gave in your post to work - could you try again? it sounds like an article i'd like to look at.
    Last edited by dora; 5th April 2010 at 08:30 AM.

naturaltreatment-
    Looks like we're on the same page. It does appear that i may have rosacea. What started as bumps on the forehead have led to spots on the nose and a little more than a month later, i now get nose flushes. Cheeks appear slightly swollen as well.

Dora-
    The spots on the nose use to be my ONLY problem there. Now it has progressed to where my nose flushes as well. I still have yet to figure out what is causing the flushing but along with the flushing, the nose also swells up slightly. I'm really concerned this might lead to rhinophyma and have yet to find a proper treatment.

Thanks for the insight naturaltreatments.

Do you basically have your rosacea under control now? My nose doesn't seem to get many of those red spots anymore, but the nose flushing seems to be the biggest problem now. Only the tip of the nose and the surrounding area is affected. The flushing seems to last for about an hour. I'm getting petrified that this might lead to rhinopyma! Does your nose swell also?

I used Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser before this all started and i never did use a moisturizer. Maybe i never noticed before, but as sensitive as my skin seems now, I find the Cetaphil a bit drying.