Thread: bumps on lip line?

Default bumps on lip line?

So one of my trouble areas is under my nose and above my lips. Every so often i get tiny inflamed bumps there. Right now i have a bunch. THey go away, come back, go away, come back... the cycle goes on. So now im not sure what all this is. I have little tiny bumps on my lip line. They're on the top and bottom. Hard to see because they're right on the line. Some are a little red others not at all. Sometimes they can go very red and inflamed, i suppose if it's irritating the skin enough there.

There arent many, it's not like my whole lips have them. But they aren't infrequent either.. Any idea what this is? I also in this area (under the nose) get these little ones that look like clogged pores, no redness. Is that what they are? Sorry if this isn't making sense!

It's hard to say - it could just be an extension of rosacea-induced inflamed skin, and maybe it looks like that because the skin near your lips is a little different than the skin elsewhere on your face.

It's probably not herpes/cold sores (I'm assuming you'd know, as it would be painful). You don't have seb derm or perioral dermatitis do you?

It could be papules.

Lastly, I tend to get a form of eczema (chelitis) on the edge of my top lip, which I control with protopic. Do you ever notice chapped lips when this flares?

EK1 have you looked in to perioral dermatitis? I started getting tiny blister like bumps around my mouth when I started having probs with my thyroid. Per. derm can be triggered by hormonal changes and is disease related to rosacea. Pretty sure the usual treatment is a tetracycline. Accutane seemed to clear mine up and I also switched to a fluoride free toothpaste.

I have seb derm, not sure about the perioral dermatitis.
    These bumps come and go. Definitely not a cold sore or herpes, these things are like pin point size.

I went on doxy and that didn't help. Maybe it's rosacea, maybe perioral i'm not sure!

I've had rosacea for nearly a year now and I have experienced some of the same issues around my mouth, and under my nose as well. These bumps happen right on the lip line and at times are red and inflamed (especially if I can't resist messing with them), but usually disappear by the next day or so. But then another pops up elsewhere. The small pustules under my nose go away with finacea but you can't really use finacea near the lips so I just let them be. They seemed to happen a lot when I used a different brand of lip balm so I switched and haven't had too much of a problem.

Not a big help, I know but just thought I'd share! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by snuffleupagus View Post
    So one of my trouble areas is under my nose and above my lips. Every so often i get tiny inflamed bumps there. Right now i have a bunch. THey go away, come back, go away, come back... the cycle goes on. So now im not sure what all this is. I have little tiny bumps on my lip line. They're on the top and bottom. Hard to see because they're right on the line. Some are a little red others not at all. Sometimes they can go very red and inflamed, i suppose if it's irritating the skin enough there.

There arent many, it's not like my whole lips have them. But they aren't infrequent either.. Any idea what this is? I also in this area (under the nose) get these little ones that look like clogged pores, no redness. Is that what they are? Sorry if this isn't making sense!
    I got rid of those after switching to a Fluoride free mint free toothpaste
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

An old thread, ... I figured out eventually that these bumps were likely caused by the birthcontrol I was taking (yaz) and discontinued as they occurred long before I started showing any real signs of perioral dermatitis, but I guess as theres no way to say for sure it could have been the begining signs of the perioral dermatitis that exploded onto my face a few months following.

The little bump like pimples on my lipline persisted though well into my struggle w/ perioral dermatitis, and actually partially led me to my choice to take accutane as I had no idea what they where, or how to get rid of them or treat them and refused to go through life breaking out in little bumps on my lip line as they were persistent, one after the other, and no they were not anything like cold sores either.

Also I should note that unlike Erikson non-fluorided, and non SLS toothpaste did not cause my perioral dermatitis to disapear nor the bumps, but I still use it to be safe. Sense on accutane the lipline bumps have gone away, I might get a little little red dot next to my lip but nothing like the ones before and it disappears really fast so I'm guessing it's just irritation etc. Although I should note that while on accutane although my POD is 85% improved it's still not completely gone.

Oops sorrry I thought this was MY old thread asking about the same problem:

http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...ad.php?t=18228

sorry!
    Last edited by bluesky; 27th February 2010 at 09:06 AM.