Thread: Propranolol may cause type-2 diabetes

Default Propranolol may cause type-2 diabetes

"While once first-line treatment for hypertension, the role for beta-blockers was downgraded in June 2006 in the United Kingdom to fourth-line as they perform less well than other drugs, particularly in the elderly, and evidence is increasing that the most frequently used beta-blockers at usual doses carry an unacceptable risk of provoking type 2 diabetes. [7]"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propranolol

"Traditionally considered a disease of adults, type 2 diabetes is increasingly diagnosed in children in parallel to rising obesity rates.[5]"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus_type_2

This is very worrying. I don't think clonidine does this as it's not a beta-blocker.

Yours,
    abra
    Last edited by abraham51; 22nd April 2009 at 07:27 PM.

Retired Moderator

As it seems a lot of people might worry about this, this is what I found.

Propanolol is normally indicated for patients with hypertension. A prospective cohort study involving 12,550 adults (aged 45 to 64 years) without diabetes found that type II diabetes mellitus is nearly 2.5 times as likely to develop in patients with hypertension compared with normotensive patients. In addition, hypertensive patients receiving beta-blockers had a 28% higher risk of developing type II diabetes mellitus than hypertensive patients not receiving any antihypertensive therapy. Hypertensive patients receiving thiazide diuretics, ACE inhibitors, or calcium antagonists were not at a greater risk of developing diabetes than hypertensive patients not receiving any antihypertensive therapy (Gress et al, 2000; Sowers & Bakris, 2000).

Previous clinical trials have yielded conflicting results regarding the potential risk of developing diabetes from use of beta- blockers in hypertensive patients.

One study reported that obese elderly patients receiving diuretics and beta-blockers were at a greater risk of developing type II diabetes mellitus than normotensive patients (Mykkanen et al, 1994); whereas other studies found no increased risk of hyperglycemia or diabetes for patients taking beta- blockers (Savage et al, 1998; Neaton et al, 1993).

But, then there is this article...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...k-50-cent.html

However before I got too worried, I would be interested in the dosing people use for flushing as compared to hypertension.

That said I would take this away from what I read- Hypertensive patients are already at a significantly higher risk of developing diabetes. The addition of propanolol to a person already at a greater risk may increase the risks further.

However, that is a far cry from establishing that in a normal healthy adult, beta blockers significantly increase the risk of diabetes. A study of that nature will likely never be conducted anyway so as a rosacean, we each make an informed decision and do the best we can.

Thanks rob

I take 160mg per day timed release, not sure what the dose is for hypertension

Retired Moderator

Oh dear! That's actually a fairly high dosage. Well that ain't gonna make you feel any better!

But again, while it may be a concern, and it would be something I definitely discuss with my "general physician", and certainly if the prop. was prescribed by a derm, it is not something I personally would overly worry about.

I might make every effort to ensure that my diet was a high quality "diabetes" diet.

Damn it

Was it bad that I was more interested in the entertainment stories down the side of that link?

boyandhisdog, thx for the dailymail link.

Retired Moderator

Abe,
    No sweat. Interested to learn more if you find more.
    BAHD