Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rosacea Diet

Default Rosacea Diet

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia a few years back, and since then pretty much cut all obvious sources of sugar from my diet (soda, candy, etc.). However, I have kept the carbs from bread, pasta, etc. for the most part.

In the last month or so I have dramatically changed my diet as I have been lifting weights again. I have stayed away from fast food completely. I have significantly increased my protein intake as well. For a week, I had no P&P and reduced redness by about 30%...I was excited. Not to mention, my skin was less oily.

However, a few things happened. A girl I was dating mentioned I started to get bad breath and she thought it was ketosis (due to low carb intake). So I started upping my carb intake in the form of whole grain chips, rice, etc. Besides I need the carbs for bodybuilding. Still...no problems, still clear.

Yesterday though, I went to subway and got a foot long sub on white bread. Although I did not have a flush, I got about 3 P&P a few hours later. Is that bread particularly bad for you and perhaps what caused this?

I have had Brady's book for sometime, but have been reading it today. My main problem is that how can you lift weights and gain muscle mass on such a low carb diet? I am thinking I will have to balance things out, but will just have to watch out for bad items.

Hozer,
    First off it is very important to have a well balanced diet meaning that you should not cut out any food group and that includes complex carbs and healthy fats. Also, a high protein intake is actually unhealthy (regardless of what certain so called "experts" have to say regarding this issue) as it causes your kidneys to work too hard and can cause the body to go into ketosis which means it burns its own body organs (gross) for fuel.

Here is a link explaining what happens and the dangers of a high protein diet.

http://women.webmd.com/guide/high-pr...ohydrate-diets

Of course you will find much info contradicting this from quackery websites.

I personally believe moderation is key and follow a mediterranean way of eating with modifications due to personal preferences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_diet

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hozer,
    First off it is very important to have a well balanced diet meaning that you should not cut out any food group and that includes complex carbs and healthy fats. Also, a high protein intake is actually unhealthy (regardless of what certain so called "experts" have to say regarding this issue) as it causes your kidneys to work too hard and can cause the body to go into ketosis which means it burns its own body organs (gross) for fuel.

Here is a link explaining what happens and the dangers of a high protein diet.

http://women.webmd.com/guide/high-pr...ohydrate-diets

Of course you will find much info contradicting this from quackery websites.

I personally believe moderation is key and follow a mediterranean way of eating with modifications due to personal preferences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_diet

Melissa
    I am surprised that you call it quackery. There is a lot of research now showing that our current, so called healthy diet, with all food groups included, is the main reason our obesity rates and health problems are at an all time high. gary taubes has a great book about this, good calories bad calories, and so does Barry Groves (trick and treat). I am always astounded that people are quick to judge a low carb diet as bad when it is made up of protein, fats, vegetables, and fruits in the later stages. How is that unhealthy? The grains in most people diets can be linked to autoimmune diseases and other problems since most people are not able to digest them properly. In ketosis, your body burns fat not your organs and there is no danger linked with a high protein diet unless you already have kidney problems. I realize this goes against most mainstream dietary advice but maybe that is the problem> If the food pyramid is the correct way of eating why are we getting fatter and sicker every year in the US?

I think you misunderstood my post. I am speaking specifically of high protein diets. That is not a healthy way to eat. It is OK if you disagree with me but that is my belief on this topic. The website I linked you to in my post may offer more info for you.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Well this seems to be a touchy subject.

But certainly there are obvious things to stay away from such as soda, candy, etc. And there is another category such as refined breads and that kind of things. I am not suggesting anything in excess, nor elimination of any food group.

Rather, I am wishing to discuss certain foods that may significantly affect rosacea. I have found that changing my diet for other purposes has had a beneficial affect on my rosacea, my body and mind.

From the webMD link

What Are the Health Risks Associated With High Protein, Low Carb Diets?

High protein diets can cause a number of health problems, including:
    • Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.
    • High cholesterol. It is well known that high protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke and cancer.
    • Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete more calcium than normal through their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones.
    • Cancer. One of the reasons high protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber and anti-oxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.
    • Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

Quote Originally Posted by hozer2k View Post
    Well this seems to be a touchy subject.

But certainly there are obvious things to stay away from such as soda, candy, etc. And there is another category such as refined breads and that kind of things. I am not suggesting anything in excess, nor elimination of any food group.

Rather, I am wishing to discuss certain foods that may significantly affect rosacea. I have found that changing my diet for other purposes has had a beneficial affect on my rosacea, my body and mind.
    I don't think anyone here is recommending soda or candy, (though I do miss these ) or refined breads etc And I agree with you that any food in excess is bad IMO and there (in general) is no need to eliminate any one food group from your diet and in fact may be unhealthy to do so.

For what foods may or may not affect rosacea you should also check out the thread where I outlined what I read from the book The Clear Skin Diet
    Though it is not specific for rosacea I do think that it is helpful for skin conditions in general.
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...lear+skin+diet

Best wishes,
    Melissa

One more point I would like to add is that while I can understand the desire to find what foods are good and not good for rosacea it is important to realize that any type of fad "diet" like a high protein diet is detrimental to overall general health. So, while in the short run some of these diets may be helpful to your symptoms in the long run I believe they can cause more harm than good. Again, there is much debate over these issues and I was just offering my opinion and I do have a very strong science background so it is not an uneducated opinion. We are all allowed to have our opinions right and share them as we see fit. That is what we are here for. I did not mean to offfend anyone

Default umm...

I'm not sure Barry Groves is the guy you want to rest your arguments on. Taubes' theory is primarily agreed to by all which is that refined carbs are bad for you.

Meat centric diets high in saturated fats...well my opinion is this is going to kill you just as fast as craming refined carbs. The reason you lose weight is because of ketosis, which requires that you eat unhealthy levels of saturated fats. The excess saturated fats + the effects of the ketosis are a one way ticket to the grave. If you don't eat enough to reach ketosis, studies show you actually gain more weight than if you were eating a diet balanced with carbs.

I won't say anything more other than those interested can check out: http://www.diseaseproof.com/
    "Get busy living or get busy dying."

Retired Moderator

To veer semi-off topic for a second, as a thin fit American (which admittedly is becoming a rarity), I take question the implication that we are all fat due to the food pyramid. I don't buy that.

I personally feel it has a lot more to do with the huge quantities of fast food eaten here in the states, the fact that kids today don't go outside and play but instead park there young but fat asses in front of the TV, and that the vast majority of American's do not excercise nearly enough yet they eat far more than you are designed to. Seriously, my neighbors kids are two fat little turds and they "play" tennis on a Wii but I swear, they have never actually touched a racquet and would probably be winded by opening the can of balls.

Restaurants put HUGE qauntities of cheap food on a platter to give the perception of value- and we stuff it down. Almost any diet, regardless of content, in moderation, will not lead to obesity. If you ate nothing but Circus Peanuts for a month- in moderation- you may have problems, but obesity wouldn't necessarily be one of them.

Just my opinion of course, but I think that America has a perception problem. We think our mouth and our assh--e are the same size. But, in reality, you can't possibly crap out as much as most people shove in- regardless of what food group it is from.

Yours,
    Rob

PS- Melissa is well known for stirring up trouble with her profanity laced outbursts and polarizing posts!