Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red skin around mouth/nose/forehead/cheeks

Default Red skin around mouth/nose/forehead/cheeks

Sound familiar? Ha, of course it does pretty much everyone on here has described these symptoms at one time....Let me narrow my case down a bit.

It all started like 5 years ago now maybe around my chin and then upper lower skin folds around the mouth. The skin turns bright red when mouth stretched as in smiling or eating! Even with moisturize from lotion, the red skin is still there and gets dark red when skin is moved. Also, this has spread upwards around the nose and onto the cheeks.

Basically, it looks like I have been sun burnt but with sunglasses on..ya know the redness under the eyes and down from the nose. The forehead is the same thing...everything is localized to the T-zone. There are very few pustules, but I have noticed enlarged pores..almost like a few blackheads where the skin is red.

Like I have said, whenever I stretch my skin it turns insanely red! Here are a few things I have tried:

1. Prascion cleanser (supposed to treat rosacea and seb derm....yet nothing. I have been using this off and one for years...)

2. Tazorac (shed skin off, just made it worse)

3. Minocycline, tetracycline, eurthymcin (a few years back I took these...redness not gone)

4. Proactive/multiple OTC products

5. Clindamycin- this does get ride of acne for me, but the redness is unaffected

* I am currently using ZNP bar and nizoral off and on because I thought I may have a fungal infection. To be honest, I don't think it is having much of an impact.

To recap, There is a PERFECT outline of skin around my chin/mouth area and lower nose that has ALWAYS been red for years! Has also spread to immediate area surrounding nose and the forehead has same isolated patch of skin that is red.

someone please tell me where to go....I don't know what to try right now. I have gone cold turkey for many weeks and months with the redness still there. Thanks for reading!

Have you been to see a dermatologist?

Does it look anything like this?
    http://dermnetnz.org/acne/perioral-dermatitis.html

Or sound anything like this?

Do you live in a hard water area?

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Have you been to see a dermatologist?

Does it look anything like this?
    http://dermnetnz.org/acne/perioral-dermatitis.html

Or sound anything like this?

Do you live in a hard water area?
    yes, I have been to dermatologist when I was a teenager about 3 times and they just gave me different antibiotics.

I have diagnosed myself with perioral dermatitis, but I cut out the toothpaste to non flouride with no success and even using nothing but water....still no results. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that should have gotten away the redness around my mouth.

OK, so i guess it can't be seb derm nor rosacea because I have been on Prascion and nizoral/znp bar with no great effects. Whenever I open my mouth wide and move my facial skin around, my skin just flares up! I think I have exhausted my options here.....I am totally lost, it seems that I have contracted some super acne or something on my face! The reason why I don't think i have perioral dermatitis is that I have the same outlined red skin around eyes and forehead and across the cheeks. Also, I have cut way back on steriods for a long period of time with no luck.

What other disease resembles my description? Most soaps (sls in particular) make my red acne skin flare up even worse and then my skin feels extremely dry and tight. Any lotions applied ususally break out my skin.

Month by month the redness expands a bit outward towards on my cheeks. I am so sick of this shit, it is unbearable.

One last bit of info, when I stretch my skin along the boarder of my chin, there are little white raised bumps. I thought this was from some fungus, but nizoral didn't do anything to 'em. What should I be trying now guys?

edit: Looks a lot like this, although my redness is a lot worse outlining mouth area.
    http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...ad.php?t=14956
    Last edited by containedd; 10th February 2009 at 04:06 AM.

Just because the redness doesnt respond to steroids I dont think you should rule out seb derm. Mine only marginally gets better with hydrocortisone and failed to get any better with antifungals. I would suggest finding out whether you live in a soft or hard water area. But mainly I would advise that you go back to see your doctor and ask to be referred to a derm.

I think I have the same thing as you. When I stretch my mouth open, my skin turns really red; mostly along the mouth folds and the corners of my lower lips. The redness appears localized around quasi-blackheads. Unfortunately, I have no clue what it is - my doctor thinks it's eczema, but I haven't seen much change when on hydrocortisone.

Basically over the years my entire face minus circles around my eyes have become permanently red. It has always been the reddest in the T-Zone, b/c i have seb derm their. Whenever i open my mouth to eat, or do some facial expression, I too get more localized redness around my mouth. I don't really see any way to stop that from happening? Maybe IPL? I've never heard of anyone overcoming that personally. If you find a way let me know.

As for the pic you referenced. That person seemed to have seb derm with minor acne imo. He might have pre-rosacea but no serious rosacea in that pic from my interpretation.

All those 'pores' on his nose and to the sides are little pits where oily flakes are pitted into the skin. To test for these flakes if its not overly easy to tell, you can take a lightly wet cotton ball and try to kind of scrub/clean that area of your face and if you see scummy flakes getting picked up, and small empty pits on your face you have seb derm.

Seb derm isn't easy to treat for me. I have used the ZNP bar, H&S, Ketanocazole cream, oral anti-fungals, etc. basically anything and everything but my seb derm is still a daily battle with me. I have to balance it with my rosacea with makes it tough b/c if i use seb derm products to much my skin gets irritated. My SD is strong enough that metronidazole does absolutely nothing for it.

Quote Originally Posted by THX View Post
    I think I have the same thing as you. When I stretch my mouth open, my skin turns really red; mostly along the mouth folds and the corners of my lower lips. The redness appears localized around quasi-blackheads. Unfortunately, I have no clue what it is - my doctor thinks it's eczema, but I haven't seen much change when on hydrocortisone.
    yep, SAME EXACT SYMPTOMS. Red skin outlineing the mouth and it creeps upwards towards the nose and around the nose folds. When stretcing mouth, it becomes worse. Also, I have this on my cheeks and forehead and I have the same quasi-blackheads where it is generally red. I have another appointment with my derm April 20th so I will let you know what she says...but my doctor told me that he thinks it is eczema as well! I have tried hydrocortisione 1% OTC (really weak stuff btw) and that doesn't do the job. PLus, it is a steroid so you're not supposed to use it longer than a week.

Damn, well I'll PM you with what I am trying and doing and maybe we both can trial/error stuff.

The stuff I am currently using is jojoba oil and hazelnut oil. It really nourishes the skin and makes the skin look healthy. I have also changed to all natural shampoo (no sls). Any type of soap drys out my skin and irritates it.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Basically over the years my entire face minus circles around my eyes have become permanently red. It has always been the reddest in the T-Zone, b/c i have seb derm their. Whenever i open my mouth to eat, or do some facial expression, I too get more localized redness around my mouth. I don't really see any way to stop that from happening? Maybe IPL? I've never heard of anyone overcoming that personally. If you find a way let me know.

As for the pic you referenced. That person seemed to have seb derm with minor acne imo. He might have pre-rosacea but no serious rosacea in that pic from my interpretation.

All those 'pores' on his nose and to the sides are little pits where oily flakes are pitted into the skin. To test for these flakes if its not overly easy to tell, you can take a lightly wet cotton ball and try to kind of scrub/clean that area of your face and if you see scummy flakes getting picked up, and small empty pits on your face you have seb derm.

Seb derm isn't easy to treat for me. I have used the ZNP bar, H&S, Ketanocazole cream, oral anti-fungals, etc. basically anything and everything but my seb derm is still a daily battle with me. I have to balance it with my rosacea with makes it tough b/c if i use seb derm products to much my skin gets irritated. My SD is strong enough that metronidazole does absolutely nothing for it.
    yep, I have also tried znp and nizoral with no luck. I have only used them for like 2 weeks though, but my red skin gets reallly red from it.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

OK, finally, I went to the Derm.

I had actually 3 in my room because they were getting trained, so I think I may have gotten a better treatment . Anyways, here is what she gave me:

-Protopic ( only after I indicated eczema)
    -Bactrim

She said that I have level 1 (minor pustules) on my face and like a lower level 2 for my back. I asked for accutane but she said only after Bactrim. Also, my acne was not what she would call severe, but rather moderate because of my back. If your symtoms were like mine, than I would suggest getting bactrim, which is super cheap. I don't know about the Protopic. She warned of the dangers of it because it is a immunosuppresent. Also, it is very expense but our insurance covered it. I will post back with results in a week or so.

ok, an update.

I went to the dermataoligst again and got accutane, although he said that my case is very mild (to him). I also was prescribed desonide .05% for what the seb derm around my mouth. I only used the protopic for like 2 weeks before stopping it because I thought nothing was changing....this was stupid of me and I urge no one to stop any medications before 6 weeks at least!

Anyways, if you have the symptoms I have described above, you probably have seb derm. I don't know how the seb derm will react to the 30mg accutane (180lb male) but we will see. I am on a low dose so I hope side effects will be minimal. I will hopefully post back results here and there.

forgot to mention that the Bactrim did a decent job of lowering the redness altogether, but I don't think it would completely solve the problem. I am thinking that since desonide is a sterioid, i may switch back to protopic and use that for 6 weeks...what do you think?
    Last edited by containedd; 17th June 2009 at 02:43 AM.