Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes

Default Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes

Since I discovered this website a month or so ago, it has provided me a wealth of information. I've learned how health conditions that seem completely unrelated can in fact aggravate or contribute to rosacea.

Over the last few days, I 've been reading posts in connection with probiotics and digestive enzymes. I've learned that poor digestion is linked to rosacea. This was of great interest to me, because I have never had great digestion. This summarizes my journey:

- About a week ago, it occurred to me that I might be lactose intolerant because of stomach upset almost every mid-morning. I drink whey protein every morning (fast and easy). There are various forms of whey protein. I switched to whey isolate, which is nearly lactose-free. Almost immediately, my stomach upset was alleviated. I've concluded that I must be lactose-intolerant and that I must limit my lactose intake.
    - But, my digestive problems were not completely eliminated. I still suffer from gas and sour stomach. On this website, I learned that probiotics and/or digestive enzymes might be in order. Redhotoz posted a test for low stomach acid levels. I took it, and failed. As for probiotics, I have taken a supplement for years, but some posters write that many such supplements are no good and that eating yogurt with active cultures is the better way to go.

What I just started:
    - I bought Activia yogurt (made by Dannon), which is geared to those who are interested in probiotics. The Activia "program" is to eat a 4 ounce cup (which isn't all that much) every day for two weeks. It tastes just like any other yogurt. I'm really not promoting this product, but their website has a great deal of info in the event anyone has an interest: activia .com Does anyone have any experience with this product?
    - I started taking Source Naturals Daily Essential Enzymes. Boo2facialredness had a post that mentioned this product. There are a myriad of digestive enzyme products out there. We'll see how this one works for me.

I'll post again in one week to inform (1) how my digestion is doing, and (2) if my digestion is improved, any affect on my rosacea. I realize that one week is likely too soon to draw any definitive conclusions. It will just be a progress report.

1st week update:
    - I wasn't surprised that initially the digestive enzymes increased my gas. I have read that this is normal. After 3 or 4 days, this subsided.
    - After seven days, I believe the enzymes and probiotics have made a difference. I don't have the sour stomach/bloating that I had a week ago.
    - Though possibly this is a placebo effect, I think my digestion has improved. I think eliminating food intolerances about two weeks also has much to do with my improvement.
    - No real discernible impact on my rosacea, but I think it is way too early for that.

I'll post again next week.

Smile

Guy!

Have u been 2 an Allergist? It might help u know the food that cause u any kind of allergy.

I tried Activia but I prefer Yo-Plus by Yoplait. Love their vanilla and strawberry flavors
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Quote Originally Posted by Erikson View Post
    Guy!

Have u been 2 an Allergist? It might help u know the food that cause u any kind of allergy.

I tried Activia but I prefer Yo-Plus by Yoplait. Love their vanilla and strawberry flavors
    Erikson, I am pretty certain that I have no food allergies. Nothing I eat causes the typical symptoms of an allergy, i.e. rash/hives, swelling of the airways to lung, etc. I am fairly certain that I have food intolerances, i.e. foods that cause a digestive symptom response, but which don't trigger an immune system response. So far as I know, diet elimination is the way to isolate a food that causes an intolerance.

I looked up Yo-Plus on the Internet and it looks very interesting. I think I may rotate between Activia and Yo-Plus since the probiotics content appear to vary. I don't recall seeing Yo-Plus where I shop, but I probably just didn't notice it.

Kefir is an excellant source of probiotics. At about $3 a quart bottle, a little cheaper too. http://www.kefir.com/

Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    Kefir is an excellant source of probiotics. At about $3 a quart bottle, a little cheaper too. http://www.kefir.com/
    Thanks. It is definitely sold in Los Angeles. Looks interesting and is a probiotic product.

Wink Whey Protein

Hi Guyin LA
    I have read in some muscle magazine that whey protein works so well in builing muscle by expanding or dilating blood vessels so the protein can be easily absorbed, particularly after your workout
    This might be something to research? Sorry thats all I can recall.
    Eric The Red

Eric, thanks for the comment. You are correct that whey protein is considered the ideal protein for building muscle. However, there are different forms of whey protein. Whey isolate (which I have switched to) has very little to zero lactose, which makes it perfect for me. But, it is more expensive. Isolate is also better absorbed vs. cheaper forms of whey. For those not lactose intolerant, cheaper forms of whey protein may suffice.

Default 2nd week update

I was out of town (hiking/kayaking in Utah) for half of the week. I still took my digestive enzymes but not my daily Activia for probiotics. Since this was an atypical week, my comments will be brief.

I am pretty certain that the digestive enzymes are improving my digestion (Source Naturals Daily Essential Enzymes three times daily, with meals). Before taking enzymes, I didn't readily digest certain vegetables such as artichokes, brussels sprouts, and broccoli. I would get gas from those vegetables. Not uncommon - many people do. Last night I had a large helping of artichoke hearts. There was zero digestive discomfort. I also had some broccoli this week. Same thing. I found this remarkable and it must be due to the enzymes.

As for any effect on rosacea: Since I spent a great deal of time outdoors in the sun, I wouldn't want to draw any conclusions. While I slathered on sunblock, I was in the sun much more than the norm. My diet wasn't typical either. I'll comment on my rosacea next week.

Since I have started using enzymes I have eliminated a lot of issues with gas and bloating eating certain foods as well. If some foods cause this it is because you have an intolerence to them caused by your own body not being able to break them down properly. Intolerence is different from an allergy to food and you can get over an intolerence when the old digestive system gets into working order again and can deal with breaking down these foods, the enzymes are definatley helping me along the way.

I only use the enzymes with my biggest meal of the day, dinner, and if I am going to eat, 'off my normal menu' out somewhere. They are certainly better than having to take a Rennie or antacid after an overindulgent meal, will be great for the Christmas dinner this year, which always leaves me zapped

I think no matter what you are trying to help with Rosacea it can take several months to start really seeing the difference, so patience and not throwing the towel in too soon with something, is important.