Thread: fluorescent light sensitivity

Default fluorescent light sensitivity

I have a sensitivity specifically to fluorescent lighting--and since being diagnosed with rosacea, I wonder if this is a symptom of ocular rosacea? I wonder if anyone else has this specific light sensitivity. Fluorescent lighting is not only too bright for my eyes but I also feel nauseaus, sometimes agitated, and get headaches. Anyone else?
    Dx: Feb 2008
    Tx: Nucelle (Mandelic Acid) products, Finacea, Doryx 100 mg, Nicomide, Grape seed Extract 200 mg, Propranolol 80 mg, Spironolactone 150mg, Probiotics

This thread might be helpful
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ht=flourescent

Best wishes,
    Melissa

I'm also sensitive to bright lights and it's the bane of my existence. When it was at its worse, I would flush from sitting under subway lights. It's not just fluorescent - also halogen and bright sunlight (like when the sun is setting). So I wear a hat a lot of the time, and try to minimize the time I spend in bright shops. And I got the lights above me at work turned off permanently.

It may be related to the ocular symptoms, as I have those too, but I'm not sure they go hand in hand. I heard that flax oil or fish oil could help the ocular symptoms, but haven't tried it myself.

Best,

Sari

Drummegirl,
    I also work in the office with fluorescent light, the most annoying and extremely bright!! Not only it is irritating to my eyes but my skin also gets redder and stings. I have found that if I apply darker/tanned makeup, the skin gets a protection layer and the light does not penetrate the skin enough to irritate it. As far as the eye care, that I have not figured out yet. I have seen some people wearing sun glasses in the office. Wierd of course, but it's an option. Not sure if a stylish pair will make a difference Good luck! Ally

Steve,
    Good find! That was an awesome speech. I was wondering if these annoying lights would ever go out of use, looks like not in the near future...

Quote Originally Posted by Drummergirl View Post
    I have a sensitivity specifically to fluorescent lighting--and since being diagnosed with rosacea, I wonder if this is a symptom of ocular rosacea? I wonder if anyone else has this specific light sensitivity. Fluorescent lighting is not only too bright for my eyes but I also feel nauseaus, sometimes agitated, and get headaches. Anyone else?
    regarding your symptoms...that's pretty common with all people.. maybe not every single person, but very many. i don't know if it's a symptom of ocular rosacea.... but i know many flush from these lights.
    to the best of my knowledge i don't flush from it... but i feel disturbing effects just on an energy level and also eyes hurt or strain from flouesant lighting. i feel stress on my brain thinking. i am not prone for headaches... it's extremely rare i get one and the flu.

they did a research study on kids in classrooms... half of the kids in fluorescent lighting..the other half in full spectrum lighting. i forget the % rate... but i think only 2 kids got cavities in spectrum lights..while the other kids in the F. lights...near all got at least one cavity although apparently all kids took well care of their teeth. dark rooms..if you don't have your place well lit..you are more prone to cavities too.

fluorescent lights are very bad for humans and all other animals because it only contains 1 or 2 colors of the spectrum... green and/or yellow.

full spectrum lights.. although cost more, but it has all the colors we need to be healthy.... well... next thing closest to sun light.
    lizards can not survive on fluorescents... they must have full spectrum lights or else they will die.

there are inexpensive bulbs that have a think 3 or 4 colors... cost maybe $1 more for a 4pack.. the differance is amazing... inside you see things more to their true color rather than a yellow/green haze.... it's not only better for your eyes by far..but your energy as well and energy of everything in your home including objects...unless you want it to have that energy.

halogens are decent... and there's other ways to get more natural lighting in your home and work place... skylights and also drilling a hole..applying this special type of glass that works like a microscope.... it's so thin yet it does soooo much.
    Eat up your spinach, it'll put color in your cheeks.
    But I don't want green cheeks!