Thread: Do you have an inflamed scalp?

Exclamation Do you have an inflamed scalp?

If so, lets talk.

I do and it sucks. Hair loss and scarring ...

Rosacea is nothing compared to this crap.

Hi Munch,

There are times when you've got to use steroid. I use Elocon lotion on my scalp. Put it on before bed (sleep on an extra pillow case) and wash it off in the morning. After doing this for generally 3 nights, I've got relief for a few weeks to a month or so. It's got an alcohol base which stings like hell but actually feels like a relief to me when my scalp is open and inflammed. My doctor gave me clobetasol shampoo but I find the lower strength Elocon preferable because the side effects are much greater with the clobetasol and being so close to my face I'll do the least dose I can get away with.

That's all this girl can offer. Good luck.

Cheers,
    TP

Default scalp problems

I agree with Twickle, sometimes theonly real effective treatment is steroids. If you are suffering it is okay to use it short term.

Once every few months I use cyclocort on my scalp for about 4-5 days in a row one week and then taper to 2-3 times the next week and then once on a third week (I taper to avoid any possiblity of rebound flaring, not likely in that short period but why risk it). That usually knocks back the seb derm inflammation for about 3-4 months. I have used it to sport treat the biggest problem area on my scalp (the top near the back) once or twice during the 3-4 month good period for a day or two only. As most scalp preps contain more powerful steroids (scalp skin is quite thick and can take more abuse than facial skin ;-) ) you still want to limit your exposure as best you can while dealing with the more immediate problem.

I would actually recommend cyclocort to anyone with severe inflammation of the scalp, it has no alcohol in it and actually is quite soothing on application. It has never aggravated my rosacea either, unlike many shampoos (Head and Shoulders makes me red, red, red).

I was diagnosed with having Scarring Alopecia, not Seb Derm.

For the longest time I thought I did have Seb Derm on my scalp as it was red and inflamed. This lasted for about 5 - 6 years.

About one year ago I started to notice that my scalp was becoming bumpy and that I was losing hair in those areas. I almost freaked! I've now lost most of my hair on the crown leaving behind a red bumpy mess with some scarring. Yes, thats right SCARRING.

If you have a red and inflamed scalp, you really should have it looked at by a derm. I would also suggest getting a biopsy done as this will help identify the underlying problem.

Don't just assume its Seb Derm ... prepare for the worst. I wish I did.

www.carfintl.org is a website setup for these types of scalp disorders.

Plaquenil has failed.

I'm now on two antibiotics, Rifampin and Cephalexin.

Rifampin turns my urine an orange-red color.

According to a few studies, this combination has had the most success. Fingers crossed.

MH

p.s. Remember, red scalp doesn't mean its just SD. Get a biopsy done before its too late.

Default hair

Quote Originally Posted by Munch Ausen View Post
    I was diagnosed with having Scarring Alopecia, not Seb Derm.

For the longest time I thought I did have Seb Derm on my scalp as it was red and inflamed. This lasted for about 5 - 6 years.

About one year ago I started to notice that my scalp was becoming bumpy and that I was losing hair in those areas. I almost freaked! I've now lost most of my hair on the crown leaving behind a red bumpy mess with some scarring. Yes, thats right SCARRING.

If you have a red and inflamed scalp, you really should have it looked at by a derm. I would also suggest getting a biopsy done as this will help identify the underlying problem.

Don't just assume its Seb Derm ... prepare for the worst. I wish I did.

www.carfintl.org is a website setup for these types of scalp disorders.
    Dear Munch Ausen,
    If you add it all up rosacea comes down to the effects of having mal formed secreations. When the mal formed secreations arrive they cannot do their intended job and you end up with some sort of disease which is fixable.

Default Hopefully this information will still be useful for you and others

Quote Originally Posted by Munch Ausen View Post
    If so, lets talk.

I do and it sucks. Hair loss and scarring ...

Rosacea is nothing compared to this crap.

I have been there and it is pretty dreadful losing your hair at a young age especially if you are a woman (I was only 32 when it started five years ago). I also have rosacea on my face so I am not luckiest person when it comes to my skin. Gels and creams (metrogel etc.) do not work and only irritate. Even plain coconut oil was irritating to my skin so I did not know what to do. Luckily enough I was referred to a cream by a friend of mine who suffered from rosacea and found this proskin rosacea amazing for my rosacea type skin. It really calmed it all down and I would say has cured it (touch wood). So with my new found confidence in my skin and mama nature I bought there proskin rosacea hair and it has worked beyond my wildest dreams. I never thought for a minute my hair would grow back but it has. Magical products that have worked for me like I never though they could. Remember even if you don't find a product that helps with your rosacea - life is all about how you perceive it. I wore hair pieces when my hair was at it's worst and nowadays you cannot even tell the difference. Having rosacea is only as bad as you perceive it - there is plenty of worse things you could have.