Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin B12

Default Vitamin B12

I've heard that B12 both aggravates and helps Rosacea. Does it just depend on the person? Thanks.

You want to definitely avoid Niacin-Vitamin B3 as it induces big flushes.

I take a B-12 supplement everyday and it doesn't effect my rosacea at all. I just feel like I have more energy and generally feel better.
    Andrea

Default B12 reaction

I took B12 for years before I realized it was causing redness and
    cystic acne. It seems I cannot tolerate any amount in a supplement now.
    The only B-vitamin I take as a supplement is B-2 (riboflavin)--which was
    recommended both to help with migraines and as an immune-booster.
    I have no ill reaction to this one.

Beth

That's so strange about B12 as we all need it to be at a certian level to function normally and low B12 is a source of all kinds of problems healthwise. I wonder if it's due to the processing of it in a supplement that is the real culprit and not pure B12....like when we eat something and it is naturally asbord into the body.
    Dx 1998

Quote Originally Posted by asammy1 View Post
    I take a B-12 supplement everyday and it doesn't effect my rosacea at all. I just feel like I have more energy and generally feel better.
    yes, the same i have also

Default Vitamin B12 and others

I thought I would share this bit. I'm a 50 year old female and I've only had rosacea for about 6 months. I am an RN and very health conscience. I work out, eat right, take a multi-vitamin every day, drink water, sleep well, etc. However, I have a tremedously amount of stress due to being a caregiver to both of my elderly parents. And I do have a genetic predisposition for hearing loss. I have already been told by an audiologist that I would be benefited by hearing aids. So a couple of weeks ago, I was in my neighborhood health food store and found a supplement blend especially for hearing. Although I was skeptical, I bought it and started taking it. It is loaded with B vitamins and has 500 mcg (8,333% RDA) of methylcobalamin, which is apparently a newer form of B12.
    Anyway, one evening after a rough day with my mother and my face felt like I'd been slapped all over, hot and stinging and blotchy red, I took this supplement (not for my rosacea but for my hearing). I realized that in about hour my face was cool to the touch and felt completely normal. It did still appear blotchy but that too faded by the next morning. And this happened a second and third time.
    I am on Doxy and Clindamycin and I'm not claiming I've found a cure for rosacea. And I doubt that these supplements will restore my hearing but I will continue taking this supplement blend because it seems to help with flushing at least for me. It's called "Hear-All" by NaturalCare. Here's the breakdown:

per 2 tablets: (recommended dose is 2 tablet twice a day)
    Thiamine 1.5 mg
    Riboflavin 1.7
    Non-flush Niainositol hexanicinatecin (Niacin) 20 mg
    Vitamin B6 2 mg
    Folic Acid 800 mcg
    Methylcobalamin (B12) 500 mcg
    Magnesium 93 mg
    Zinc 10 mg
    Acety L-carnitine
    N-acetylcysteine
    Butchers Broom root at 10% ruscogenin
    Ginkgo biloba leaf
    Vinpocetine
    Coenzyme Q10
    Alpha Lipoic Acid

Just wanted to share this information. It may not help anyone else, but I will say it has help me.

Coco
    Coco
    doxyclycline and clindamycin

Default Vitamin B12

There is 3 forms of B12 on the market. Cyanocobalamin, Hydroxocobalamin, Methylcobalamin. Cyanocobalamin is the most available (depending on the country you live in) in the U.S. For some people, it can cause acne or rosacea like symptoms, while others it has no side-effects. Your body must first convert Cyanocobalamin to Hydroxocobalamin then to Methylcobalamin for your body to use it.

Hydroxocobalamin, while available in the U.S., it costs about 6-8 times more than Cyanocobalamin. Methylcobalamin is the most expensive, it costs about 5-8 times more than Hydroxocobalamin. Methylcobalamin can be used directly by the body, but it is also depleted by the body the fastest.

Besides my rosacea, I also have an auto-immune disorder called Pernicious Anemia (PA). With PA, your body loses the ability to process vitamin B12 and you no longer can make red blood cells adequately, and you become anemic and/or other complications with the nervous system, heart, liver, brain, etc. can cause major problems if not corrected with vitamin B12. For me, that means having IM injections of vitamin B12 every 2 weeks for the rest of my life.

Default B-12 and intestinal problems

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren 007 View Post
    I've heard that B12 both aggravates and helps Rosacea. Does it just depend on the person? Thanks.

Hello
    I have had lots of strange health problems for years, rosacea being only one of them. I was diagnosed in August as being B-12 deficient and now have to give myself injections even though I always ate a lot of red meat and other foods that have B-12. Now I have been diagnosed as having a Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. This is my hypothesis: some people with rosacea have intestinal issues that keep them from absorbing B-12 and taking the vitamin orally does not work and could cause flushing because they can't absorb it but if they take it in injectable form their body can use it and so it doesn't cause flushing. I can't say that I would flush from taking it orally because I never tried but I do know that I was low so my doc thinks my intestines couldn't absorb it properly. I also know that I do not flush at all from the B-12 injections. Maybe that is why some people flush from it...there does seem to be a link between intestinal issues and rosacea. I will attach an article I found about it at the end of this post.

Regards
    Queta
    SIBO and rosacea

From United European Gastroenterology website

INTRODUCTION: Several pathogenetic factors have been implicated in the development of rosacea, but the role of intestinal bacteria has never been investigated.
    AIMS & METHODS: We aimed at assessing the presence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) in patients with rosacea and the clinical effectiveness of its eradication.We enrolled 60 consecutive rosacea patients (43 females, 17 males; mean age 52 ± 15) and 60 healthy controls, sex- and age-matched. All patients and controls underwent lactulose and glucose breath tests (BTs), in order to assess the presence of SIBO. Patients positive for SIBO were randomized to receive rifaximin 1200 mg/die for 10 days or placebo.Eradication was assessed with the same BTs after one month of the end of antibiotic therapy. Two independent dermatologists evaluated clinical features of rosacea before and after treatment on the basis of an objective scale.
    RESULTS: We found an increased prevalence of SIBO in patients with rosacea compared to controls (40/60 vs 3/60, respectively, p<0.001). Oro-cecal transit time resulted significantly delayed in patients with SIBO than in controls (p<0.01). After SIBO eradication we obtained a complete recovery of cutaneous lesions in 17/20 (85%) and a relevant improvement in 2/20 (10%) patients, while those treated with placebo remained unchanged (14/16) or even worsened (2/16), (p<0,001). These latter patients were subsequently switched to rifaximin therapy with complete resolution of rosacea in 14/16 and significant improvement in the remaining 2 cases.
    CONCLUSION: Our study shows the high prevalence of SIBO in patients with rosacea and emphasizes the clinical effectiveness of its eradication in inducing almost complete remission of cutaneous lesions.

From www.blackwell-synergy.com
    Rosacea is a chronic disorder characterized by hypersensitivity of the facial vasculature, presenting with intense flushing eventually leading to chronic erythema and telangiectasia. Although the precise aetiology of rosacea is not known, numerous associations with inflammatory gastrointestinal tract disorders have been reported. Furthermore, substance P-immunoreactive neurones occur in considerably greater numbers in tissue surrounding affected blood vessels suggesting involvement of neurogenic inflammation and moreover plasma kallikrein–kinin activation is consistently found in patients. In this report, a patient without digestive tract disease is described, who experienced complete remission of rosacea symptoms following ingestion of a material intended to sweep through the digestive tract and reduce transit time below 30 h. It is possible that intestinal bacteria are capable of plasma kallikrein–kinin activation and that flushing symptoms and the development of other characteristic features of rosacea result from frequent episodes of neurogenic inflammation caused by bradykinin-induced hypersensitization of facial afferent neurones. The possible relevance of this hypothesis to other conditions featuring afferent hypersensitivity, such as fibromyalgia, is considered.

*Experimental dermatology • Concise report Remission of rosacea induced by reduction of gut transit time

* S. N. Kendall

Default B12

Hi Queta,

Have you had Rosacea for a long time? If yes, do you use antibiotics to control it? If Yes, what is the name of the antibiotic? Sorry, for all the questions, but antibiotics used over a long period of time can cause intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

My problem with B12 is that I can't absorb the B12 from the foods (dairy and meats) that I eat because I have developed an antibody against my intrinsic factor (Intrinsic factor is produced in the stomach and combines with the B12 in the foods you eat...so that you body can normally absorb it) which prevents intrinsic factor from being produced ..thus...it prevents my body from absorbing the B12 from the foods.

I too self-inject. I have been doing so since 2001. What type of B12 (Cyanocobalamin, Hydroxocobalamin, Methylcobalamin) do you use? How often do you self-inject? I use Cyanocobalamin and I inject 1ML which has 1000mcg/ml of B12.. every 2 weeks. I have no side effects from the B12 that effect my Rosacea. I was lucky...I found a supplement that made it possible for me to get off of antibiotics and it does a better job of controling my Rosacea.

TAKE CARE...SKEETER.