Thread: Can we try Selsun Blue?

Default Can we try Selsun Blue?

Someone just told me that I should try Selsun Blue on my face for Rosacea. She said her husband did and it works great for him and that is all he uses? This doesnt sound right, but thought I would ask before I try. Thanks ...Jenn

What the hell is it??

Selsun Blue, the shampoo you use for dandruff.

Ahhh.

I wonder if the person who used it had seb derm instead of rosacea (or both) as things like coal tar shampoo have been used to treat seb derm sucessfully.

For rosacea I would say that it probaly wont help, but only a test would tell.

That is exactly what I told her I thought he had but she said, no his derm told him he had rosacea and to use this and she said it works, but I am thinking the same thing. I dont know. I just wonder if it could make my rosacea worse if I do try it? I also just read something on a website about it, and it says if such and such(they said the meds) do not work then try sodium sulfacetamide shampoos, so I thought, well, maybe..hmmm..Thanks..Jenn

If it worked that good then he must have had seb derm.

If you are going to use it then perhaps try it it very sparingly on your forhead or chin rather than your cheek (if its affected). I dont think I would have the courage to give it ago though.

Best wishes

Sarah

My normal routine is shampoo, rinse hands, wash face, rinse hair. But on Tuesday, I unthinkingly used dandruff shampoo (zinc pyrithione) for the first time in months and my cheeks were on fire. Obviously didn't get all the dandruff shampoo rinsed off before washing face, and I'm still paying for it. I second the motion that you test on a small, unaffected area if that's really something you want to try.

I have tried this for seb derm on my face and it burnt like crazy on my rosacea effected skin, as did coal tar shampoos. So i agree be very cautious!

Selenium sulphide is not the same thing as sodium sulfacetamide. It's an antifungal, if you really want to give it a try and you have sensative skin, an alternative way to test if an antifungal helps your skin at all would be to try on oral antifungal, like diflucian one. And if it helps it def indicates that something other than rosacea is going on. As well as seb derm there are a number of other fungal skin conditons that can look very very similar to rosacea. There's a good chance that your friends husband had one of these rather than rosacea.

yes I asked my friend again and her response was no he was pretty sure it was Rosacea but she also said, are Dr. could be wrong, one he was not a derm and two, well you have to know him. I decided not to try this as you guys no more then she or I would about this.

You mention there are other things that look like Rosacea. I know I do not have Seb derm but is there anything other codition I can look for. I do not have any flakiness to my skin at all, no dry skin. I have been thinking maybe something else because I do have this red flaky spot on top of thigh, which Dr. thought it was cancer but she said I am giving you Locoid Lipocream(hydrocortisone butyrate 0.1%) to put on the spot if it goes away then I will not do a biopsy. It is going away so I do not know what it would be, she checked it for a fungus underneath the microscope but there was no fungus. But as far as face, no dry skin so I guess that would rule out any fungus, right. I have always had bad dandruff on my scalp for years and years but that is it. I often wondered if it was the dandruff that was getting on my face, but that would not cause facial burning I guess..Anyway sorry to babble but I am not going to try the selsun blue..Thank you..Jenn