Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detailed list of foods that can effect blood vessels

Default Detailed list of foods that can effect blood vessels

My flushing seems to be more about blood vessel instability than inflammation, (I developed migranes and raynaurds at the same time as the facial flushing).

So for anyone else who thinks there flushing gets worse with food, below is the most comprehesive list i have found of all the foods that may effect blood vessel function.

It ia a diet for migranes but I figure anything that effects blood vessel stability in the brain would also effect the blood vessels in the rest of the body. I'm going to trial it for a month and see if it impacts on my facial flushing and Raynaurds.

Some people with migraine may be sensitive to certain chemicals that occur naturally in foods. The chemicals that most commonly trigger migraines are tyramine and other amines, including phenylethylamine and histamine. Amines can trigger migraines because they are vasoactive substances that act directly on small blood vessels to expand their capacity.

Foods that contain tannins, compounds that occur naturally in plants, can also trigger migraines. Researchers are not certain what the exact relationship is, but many agree that the neurotransmitter serotonin is involved.

Step 1: Eliminate amine foods
    Tyramine is a chemical called a monoamine that is found in higher concentrations in foods that have been fermented, such as aged cheddar, red wines, and blue cheese. American and cottage cheese can be substituted. Foods containing tyramine include:
    Aged Cheeses
    Yogurt, buttermilk, sour cream, dried milk
    Tofu, soy sauce, miso, tempeh
    Smoked, cured, or pickled fish or meat
    Beer, wine
    Lima beans, Italian beans, lentils, navy beans, pinto beans, fava beans, broad beans
    Snow peas
    Peanuts
    Eggplant
    Sauerkraut
    Oranges, citrus fruit
    Cola drinks
    Banana
    Grapes, Raisins
    Plums, Prunes, or Figs
    Pineapple
    Avocado
    Chocolate

In addition to tyramine, foods containing the chemical phenylethylamine should also be eliminated. These foods include:
    Cheesecake
    Yellow cheeses
    Chocolate
    Citrus fruit
    Alcohol/Red Wine
    Chocolate
    Cocoa
    Berry pie filling or canned berries
    Red wine

Foods that containe histamine or cause the release of histamine should be eliminated. These include:
    Banana
    Beef, pork (can eat lamb or chicken instead, these are safe foods for most people)
    Beer
    Cheese, especially yellow ripened
    Chicken liver
    Egg Plant
    Fish, shellfish
    Processed meat, such as salami
    Sauerkraut
    Soy, tempeh, tofu, miso, tamari
    Spinach
    Strawberry
    Tomato, tomato sauce, tomato paste
    Wine
    Yeast and foods containing yeast
    Pineapple
    Citrus fruit

Step 2: Eliminate food additives
    Some people react to the food additives such as artificial sweeteners, flavor enhances, and food coloring found in processed and packaged fast foods. These foods include:
    Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is sometimes added as a flavor enhancer in Chinese dishes. It is also found in commercial soups, soy sauce, salad dressings, frozen dinners, soup mix, croutons, stuffing, and some chips. It is also disguised in the label as sodium caseinate, hydrolyzed proteins, or autolyzed yeast.
    Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners can trigger migraines in some people.
    Food coloring, especially FD&C yellow dye #5 and red dye #40, are known to trigger migraines in some people. Check labels, as both are found in common foods such as beverages, ice cream, candy, and some cereals.
    Nitrites and nitrates are found in bacon, luncheon meats, smoked ham, and hot dogs.

Step 3: Eliminate foods that contain tannin
    Bruised fruits
    Red skinned apples and pears
    Berries, cherries
    Tea and coffee
    Alfalfa
    Barley
    Chocolate
    Nuts
    Apple Juice, Apple Cider
    Beer
    Grape Juice
    Wine
    Black and Red Beans
    Apricots, ripe bananas, unripe peaches
    Kiwi
    Persimmons, pomegranates, dates, currants, nectarines
    Eggplant
    Smoked meats
    Most herbs

Step 4: Eliminate or reduce caffeine
    Although some people find that coffee helps migraines by constricting blood vessels, the blood vessels can swell beyond their original size causing an even worse rebound headache. If using a decaffeinated coffee substitute, be sure to use one that has been Swiss water processed -- the chemicals that are used in the decaffeination process can trigger headaches.

In addition to coffee, tea and sodas containing caffeine should also be avoided.

Interesting. I know from personal experience that phenylalanine (aspartame) gives me headaches (among other things).

I'm sure there's much to be researched here, but the first thing I looked up, tyramine, led me to an interesting Wikipedia article:

Metabolism

In humans, if tyramine metabolism is compromised by the use of monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) [Or, I assume, any other reason--Steve95301] and foods high in tyramine are ingested, a hypertensive crisis can result. The first signs of this were discovered by a neurologist who noticed his wife, who at the time was on MAOI medication, had severe headaches when eating cheese. For this reason, the crisis is still called the "cheese syndrome", even though other foods can cause the same problem.

Effects

A large dietary intake of tyramine can cause the tyramine pressor response which is defined as an increase in systolic blood pressure of 30 mmHg or more. The displacement of noradrenaline from neuronal storage vesicles by tyramine is thought to cause the vasoconstriction, and increased heart rate and blood pressure of the pressor response. The possibility that tyramine acts directly as a neurotransmitter comes from the discovery of a G protein-coupled receptor with high affinity for tyramine called TA1. The TA1 receptor is found in the brain as well as peripheral tissues including the kidney. A receptor with high affinity for tyramine supports the hypothesis that tyramine may also act directly to affect blood pressure regulation.
    A 30-mmHG spike in blood pressure is pretty big.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

That is a big change. Amazing all the chemical in food that can effect us.

Some things are not worth it. If you go by that list, you will spend your whole life consuming only water.

I guess it just depends on how much rosacea or flushing or migranes effects your life.

For me my flushing is so painful that if eating nothing but rice crackers for the rest of my life would fix it it would be worth it to me!

Default HOW R U

hey we have very similar rosacea syptoms and i also have a very plain boring diet, Just curious do u have soya milk.? What kind of foods do you eat?Also how may ipls did you have?I had 3 and really worse off, hope hear from you soon

Sarah

If I went by that list of foods and drinks to avoid, I could make Nicole Ritchie look like a fat pig.

Not every rosacean will react to most items on that list. Most items on the food and drink list are benign to me and I am a moderate-to-severe flusher too.

Maybe a list should be posted of foods that are benificial, healthy, etc for a rosacean in addition to posting the "bad" foods. Going by that list I also have to agree, what the heck is left to eat? My applause goes out to those who can follow such a strict diet, but I need more than a bowl of air and a glass of nothing to get me through my day. :?

Just eliminating gluten seems to help me. When I'm off the gluten other foods that normally trigger me don't. But when I eat it again (holidays and parties are very bad/tempting times) the flushing and P&Ps come right back.

I think reducing glutens, sugars, and alcohol goes a long way for a rosacean.